Calypso 2 Rocksim File

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One source I use for building low and mid-power rockets is plans that were published in old rocket publications that are now defunct (Model Rocket News, Model Rocket Magazine, Model Rocketeer) as well as plans that pop up in the Apogee Newsletter periodically. A lot of the older plans are quite creative. I am drawn to anything that is unique and different (no 3FNC's). They are especially interesting if it is a design where I can push the envelope. Almost all of these were designed for BP engines back in the 60's, 70's and 80's. I like to build from plans that I can either modify and/or build more robustly so that they can handle the composite C, D, E and F composite motors that we now have available. Can a plan designed for a D12 be built to handle an F32T? They often can and I haven't shredded one yet. Now that we have tiny altimeters to record altitude in small rockets (the Flightsketch Comp rocks), it's a blast to see have far you can push these old designs.

This model was found in the December 1980 issue of Model Rocketeer. I like tube fin plans partly because they look cool and partly because they are draggy and you can fly them on small fields, yet if built well can generally be pushed hard for altitude (e.g., the Pemberton King Kracken can be flown on a G80 up to the biggest 38mm J motor, 1,000' to 4,000'). In this case the Calypso 2 can be flown on a C11 (~400') up to an F32T (~1,800'). Will a BT-50 based tube fin model be able to handle 37G's? I'm going to find out at some point. I'm customizing the design to include a Qualman baffle (I hate dog barf and wadding), a Rocketarium motor retainer, I'll use Titebond II for tube to tube binding and small fillets of West Systems epoxy to make the fin can solid, 50LB braided kevlar for the shock cord and a TFR 15" TM parachute.

The build is in progress but it will be a while before it's flown. I build models like this for two purposes. The first is for low power launches with my grandsons, all under age 6, so low and slow so they can chase them down. We also have an extended family launch every Thanksgiving at the family farm (my nieces and nephews and their kids) which is more mid-power oriented. Assuming I remember to, I'll post back with results once I get some flights in.

Attached is a PDF of the original plan, the Rocksim file I created from it and the parts list. It took some creativity to get the outer ring of tube fins into the design. It required using a dummy ringtail and attaching 12 pods which constitute the outer ring of tube fins. Overall fun to design and build. Can't wait to fly it.

Attachments

• 1980-12 MR - Calypso 2.pdf
    234.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Calypso 2.rkt
    107.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Calypso 2_parts_list.pdf
    32.2 KB · Views: 7
Back