C J's Extreme DarkStar 4 Build [75mm]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps someone could video or photo document this session so your
technique could be shared broadly...

I have done it several times both here and on the Planet. I'm terrible at doing searches,so this afternoon when I load up the DS I'll take pictures and post how I do it.

It's a Topflight 84, but I have used the Skyangle Classic II 60inch with no problems. You just have to fold it correctly.

I know there are some chute vendors with step by step on their site, just don't remember which.

Last edited:
Well, I fought with it for a few hours, and I just can't get it to fit, so I ordered a 32" section of tube. I could just put a smaller chute in, but my regular flying field has a bunch of old runways that are quite hard, so slower is better for me. :)

How much TN do you have in there with the main chute?
I usually go no more than 12-15ft at most.

You could recess the NC bulkhead if you don't already have it installed?

I just started on mine today & have a few upgrades in mind...

What's with the dinky 1/8 quick links; to attach your luggage tags when bringing it on a plane?

JD

Yeah, I've got an 84" from K and S. Try as I might, I just couldn't get it all in there. I thought about cutting about an inch off the nosecone shoulder, and about 1.5" off the coupler. Ultimately, I think I'm just going to order a 30-36" tube and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Where are you guys getting your chopped carbon fiber? I've been all over the recommended composite sites her, and have yet to find that as an available product. I can find all manner of other fillers, but no chopped CF. Wish that commonwealth or somebody like that carried it, as I would like to combine this with some other orders...

Thanks!

Now that we are all prepped,time to inject:

On this build, 2 pumps of West/ProLine or similar system, will be enough to inject all 4 fins.

Mix chopped carbon [ small pile about the size of a dime] into the epoxy after thoroughly mixing resin and hardener. You should mix carbon a good minute or two so it breaks up evenly into the epoxy.

Should look color of the hypo.[container I mixed in, is much larger than one in photo. this was just easier to set it on]

I use a 10ml or cc hypo [cc and ml are same] so 1/2 or 5ml is injected into each hole.

When looking through the MM,you can see it dispersed evenly on the right and clotted a little on the left, but the epoxy itself leveled out between the carbon piles with no runs or leaks.

So all is A-OK

Even on the masking tape CR. LOL [Larger one]

Where are you guys getting your chopped carbon fiber? I've been all over the recommended composite sites her, and have yet to find that as an available product. I can find all manner of other fillers, but no chopped CF. Wish that commonwealth or somebody like that carried it, as I would like to combine this with some other orders...

Thanks!

Tim @ wildman has it in stock......buy a Darkstar Extreme and have it shipped with that order :)

Thanks!

Well, you can do it like I did..Get a small section of CF cloth, pluck out a few thread strands, then carefully chop the threads into 1/16-1/8" lengths..It is a bit tedious..Oh, and don't have a ceiling fan going in the room or you will get little CF fibers floating all over the place:rolleyes:

Or, do as Griffin says and order it from Wildman..Much easier...

Back