Burnsim On A Mac?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSenesy

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck getting Burnsim to run on their Mac other than using Bootcamp or virtualization?

I'm trying to get it to work with CrossOver but haven't had any luck so far. As an IT guy, I'm kind of ashamed to admit I don't have any previous experience with CrossOver, so I'm not sure if I'm exploring configurations correctly.

I'll fall back to Fusion and install Win7 if necessary, but I just wanted to see if there was something that was a little closer to native execution.

Thanks in advance.

I could not get it to run with Crossover. I resorted to getting a Windows 7 laptop, actually Pro Version so I could run XP as I couldn't get GUIPEP/PROPEP to run in straight Win7.

It's been a while since this has been mussed over but has anyone successfully run BurnSim on a Mac? I have tried using CrossOver and so far, nothing but then again I am a complete computer idiot.

Because it is easier to use, more stable, and less likely to get a virus. I think that sums it up.

FWIW (since I started the thread), I ended up using Virtual Box to run an instance of XP. Burnsim runs fine. It would have been nice to save the storage space but I was never able to get it to run successfully under Wine.

Regarding the 'why mac' question - after my last Dell laptop, I swore I'd never buy a Windows machine again. If I need it, there's always virtualization.

FWIW (since I started the thread), I ended up using Virtual Box to run an instance of XP. Burnsim runs fine. It would have been nice to save the storage space but I was never able to get it to run successfully under Wine.

Regarding the 'why mac' question - after my last Dell laptop, I swore I'd never buy a Windows machine again. If I need it, there's always virtualization.

I have a similar story. After my last PC crashed during a deployment to Kosovo, I had to order a computer and have it delivered. I chose a Mac and have not had a computer crash since.

Personally, I use Linux. However, I personally have never ever had windows crash on one of my own computers. I have heard of and seen both Macs and PCs of people around me crash, and my Linux has crashed. But when it comes to interfaces, windows is a pain and Macs are worse, especially regarding direct control.

I guess it is personal preference, but I have no idea how any one can call the intuitive interface of a Mac "worse".

The dock is a pain, there are a lot of inconsistencies in right-click behavior, a lot of arbitrary shortcuts that cannot be changed, poor implementation of workspaces compared to Linux window managers, and the annoying lack of direct filesystem access in the Finder.

The Apple designers ask good questions about the status quo in interfaces, but I don't like the answers they have come up with.

Other irritants include the buggy ejection of USB drives, which takes forever sometimes, other times doesn't work, and rarely causes lockups, and the inverted scrolling which can be reversed but only in both axes: either I have backwards vertical strolling or backwards horizontal.

Basically, if I have to do serious tweaking to make it the way I want it then there is no reason to not go straight to Linux.

Note: I recommend Macs to people but refuse to use them myself.

hmm, never had those problems and I use one 4-5 hours a day.

Back