Build thread for this years Airfest

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDramstad

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Been wanting to go to Airfest for quite a few years now and this year is looking good. :) So what will I build that can take advantage of a 50000 foot waiver? After thinking about it have decided to go with some 3 inch minimum diameter 4 FNCs, all scratch builds. Head end deployment to eliminate the weakness of putting a break in the middle of the airframe. Now what I have found in the past is I learn something new with every build. So the plan is to build 3 very similar rockets incorporating the lessons learned from the previous build into the new one. By the time I am done I should have 2 if not 3 rockets worthy of the event. Now I am not expecting to get to 50k. (this year) but 20 to 30 k seems doable from my initial sims. My motors of choice are the aerotech L2200 and M1850. The L should put me around 20 to 23k, the M to around 28k. So here we go. Now for this very serious occasion I have decided to use the names Larry, Moe and Curly for these 3 builds.

So first up, "Larry".
Will be a hand rolled carbon fiber airframe around 48 inches long and have walls 1.5mm thick. Ran the numbers and that means 5 wraps of 5.8 oz carbon fibre material from aircraft Spruce rolled on my aluminum mandrel. First cover it with parchment paper.

IMG_0269.jpg

Then 5 wraps of carbon using West systems epoxy to wet it out. Dont have photos of the wrapping because I was home alone but it went almost perfectly. Here it is with the peal ply on it starting to cure.
IMG_0270.jpg

Unwrapped it after cure and it turned out to be one of the best airframes I have rolled yet.

IMG_0282.jpg

Now one thing I wanted was an airframe with the outside diameter to be the same as my aft motor closure. Didnt want anything sticking out into the airstream if at all possible. Came pretty close.

IMG_0283.jpg

Sticks out just a bit but good enough for now. "Moe" may end up with 6 wraps instead of 5.

Thats all for today. Progress may be sporadic but should have more progress next weekend.

This looks like it should be a fun build series
I will certainly follow this thread good luck

Been wanting to go to Airfest for quite a few years now and this year is looking good. :) So what will I build that can take advantage of a 50000 foot waiver? After thinking about it have decided to go with some 3 inch minimum diameter 4 FNCs, all scratch builds. Head end deployment to eliminate the weakness of putting a break in the middle of the airframe. Now what I have found in the past is I learn something new with every build. So the plan is to build 3 very similar rockets incorporating the lessons learned from the previous build into the new one. By the time I am done I should have 2 if not 3 rockets worthy of the event. Now I am not expecting to get to 50k. (this year) but 20 to 30 k seems doable from my initial sims. My motors of choice are the aerotech L2200 and M1850. The L should put me around 20 to 23k, the M to around 28k. So here we go. Now for this very serious occasion I have decided to use the names Larry, Moe and Curly for these 3 builds.

So first up, "Larry".
Will be a hand rolled carbon fiber airframe around 48 inches long and have walls 1.5mm thick. Ran the numbers and that means 5 wraps of 5.8 oz carbon fibre material from aircraft Spruce rolled on my aluminum mandrel. First cover it with parchment paper.

View attachment 514680

Then 5 wraps of carbon using West systems epoxy to wet it out. Dont have photos of the wrapping because I was home alone but it went almost perfectly. Here it is with the peal ply on it starting to cure.
View attachment 514681

Unwrapped it after cure and it turned out to be one of the best airframes I have rolled yet.

View attachment 514682

Now one thing I wanted was an airframe with the outside diameter to be the same as my aft motor closure. Didnt want anything sticking out into the airstream if at all possible. Came pretty close.

View attachment 514683

Sticks out just a bit but good enough for now. "Moe" may end up with 6 wraps instead of 5.

Thats all for today. Progress may be sporadic but should have more progress next weekend.
See if you can get the Cesaroni M2245 motor. In the right rocket you can achieve 40k.🚀

Was finally able to get back in the shop this evening. Cut out the fins from some 1/8 inch thick G10 fiberglass sheet and starting squaring them up on the belt sander.

fin 1.jpg

fin2.jpg

https://wildmanrocketry.com/products/75tc
I have both closers at home and could check the OD, I feel the tail cone aft closure will be smaller OD then the standard one.
Does the nozzle end up recessed? Seems like it could take some damage with a long burn motor. My body tube for "Larry" is 79mm outside diameter. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Does the nozzle end up recessed? Seems like it could take some damage with a long burn motor. My body tube for "Larry" is 79mm outside diameter. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
Those tailcones are meant to be used with the larger (non-medusa) 75mm single throat nozzles. To your point, they would get roasted with an M-650 or 685. Since you noted your motors of choice are the L-2200 and M-1850, you would be good to go. :cool:

Those tailcones are meant to be used with the larger (non-medusa) 75mm single throat nozzles. To your point, they would get roasted with an M-650 or 685. Since you noted your motors of choice are the L-2200 and M-1850, you would be good to go. :cool:
The M685 might be on the menu though...... almost 3000 feet higher then the M1850

I still have to do tip to tip on the fins so that will bring the body tube diameter up a bit but I like this idea. I cant find much info on it. Wildman has it on the website but no info on it. Cant find it on Aerotech's website.....

I cant find much info on it. Wildman has it on the website but no info on it. Cant find it on Aerotech's website.....

It's not an @AeroTech branded part but it is sold via RCS:
https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/54mm_Tail_Cone_Aft_Closure/p1577809_21632744.aspxThat's for the 54mm part. I don't see an product page for the 75mm at this time. Googling "75TAC" yeilds to the @WILDMANRS product page and this thread:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/wildman-aerotech-tailcone-closure.159485/

Sorry to hijak your thread, but I just read this:

Theoretically, that is true, but I have seen many a moon burner motors take "left hand turns" in minimum diameter vehicles, YMMV. May yours fly straight and true in KS calm... :)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/wildman-mach-3.158888/page-6#post-2041574
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/wildman-mach-3.158888/page-6#post-2046708

Yesterday I glued grains together on my third M685. I have made two previous attempts with my CF Mongoose 75 to break 30k and both wandered off and failed to achieve the simmed altitude expected. My last attempt was with an M840 and the altimeters read 29,817' and 29,889". The M840 went straight up, neither of the M685's did.
I planned to take this rocket to Moab, Utah and fly with UROC at their new field with a ground elevation of 4500 ft. and a 100k waiver.
After reading Justin's comment and going back to his Mach 3 thread, I decided to scrap that flight.

Yesterday I glued grains together on my third M685. I have made two previous attempts with my CF Mongoose 75 to break 30k and both wandered off and failed to achieve the simmed altitude expected. My last attempt was with an M840 and the altimeters read 29,817' and 29,889". The M840 went straight up, neither of the M685's did.
I planned to take this rocket to Moab, Utah and fly with UROC at their new field with a ground elevation of 4500 ft. and a 100k waiver.
After reading Justin's comment and going back to his Mach 3 thread, I decided to scrap that flight.
Years ago, I tried a CSR 98 mm Moonburner in my 5.5" Nike Smoke. It took off with authority but started to arc drastically over before apogee and sent the rocket about three miles to the north of our launch site near a two lane highway. I found the rocket in a ditch about fifteen feet away from the road surface. After that close call, I decided never to fly a moonburner again.

Way of I have done that same flight on the Mach 3 2 times with great success.
However do not use the tail cone with a CTI long burn it the cone won’t like it

I think a four fin rocket would naturally be more stable for moon burner flights. I probably had ten of your kits before I bought the Rocketry Warehouse carbon fiber kit back in 2014. Little did I know back then how much I would appreciate Wildman fiberglass kits now. My 3" Blackstar has 37 flights on it, and is the only rocket I have that will fly a 54/2550 research load.

Not a hijack, you are still on topic! 😀 That’s what I like about this forum. Lots of tribal knowledge out there getting shared..

So attaching fins is next. I taped off the aft end of the airframe and used a pencil and angle iron to trace out the fin roots. Used an exacto knife to remove an 1/8 inch strip of tape where the fins would attach to the airframe. Using a popsicle stick I applied rocket poxy to the slots and pressed down hard to make sure the epoxy got well into the rough surface left by the peal ply.

fin2-5.jpg

fin3.jpg

Then I removed the tape and put on the fin guide I printed from payloadbay.com. Applied glue to the fin root and placed in position on top of the glue that I laid down earlier. Used the fin guide to hold the fins in place while I attached the rest of the fins. Then let it set up for several hours.

fin-fillet.jpg

once it had set up a bit I taped off the airframe and applied the first set of fillets using rocket poxy again. Will finish the other 3 sets of fillets tomorrow.

So next step, tip to tip.

fabric.jpg

I cut out 4 pieces of carbon fiber, peal ply and a breather material. Was planning to use a vacuum pump on this but then reality reared its ugly head. My newly acquired vacuum pump had a different fitting on it then my old one.... back to low tech.

t2t-1.jpg
Used some 80 grit sandpaper on the fins to give the glue a better grip then coated the upper side of this set of fins with West epoxy, laid the carbon fiber in place and then wet out the CF. Laid the peal ply on top of that and wetted it out also. Covered the peal ply with parchment paper and placed two bags full of BBs on top of everything to help hold it all down while the epoxy set up.

t2t-2.jpg
Now walk away for 4 hours.... rotate 90 degrees and repeat..... and again.... and one last time.

Next day came out and pulled off the peal ply to this.

t2t-3.jpg

Trimmed the edges and did some sanding and here it is.

t2t-4.jpg

Not too bad. No dry spots, just need some sanding and a little fill on the junction between airframe and the leading edge of the fins.

So I finally got back to work on this project. Did some sanding on the fins and body tube. Then started on the ebay. Will be using 2 Altus Metrum Easy Minis for the altimeters. Built a plywood sled with 2 pieces of 1/8th inch plywood separated by 2 1/4 by 1/4 inch balsa strips.

ebay.jpg

The sled slides up the all thread, the coupler slides into place and the end bulkhead is attached with wingnuts.
This will be a head end deploy design. Now here is where I need to experiment. I am putting a tracker on this rocket and was originally going to put it in separate from the ebay. The more I looked at it the less I like the idea. Problem with putting it in the ebay is the body tube is carbon fiber and could block the signals. So since I am building multiple similar rockets I will try putting the tracker in the ebay as far forward as I can and see if it will be a problem. If it is will use this ebay in the second rocket "Moe" which will have a fiberglass body and build a new one for "Larry" here with a separate tracker bay.
So I went ahead and put the tracker into the ebay, dry fit all of the pieces together and lo and behold, I got a signal. Walked a block away and still had a signal from the Feather Weight tracker. This will need more testing but the initial test is good.

Back