BSD Thor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike,

Cool, I am planning on launching my Thor on Hybrids as well. Did you have to do anything special for it? Where about did you place your vent?

Thanks

On a Hypertek the vent is located 11" from the bottom of the motor tube so you just drill into the booster and motor tube at that location. Nothing on this kit had to be modified to use Hypertek. The overall length of the tank,bell and grain is about 30" so there is plenty of room in the booster to accomadate the system. The final weight of the rocket fully loaded with nitrous is about 10 lbs and on a K240 hyper I normally get around 3,800 ft.

Thanks for the info.

I was thinking of getting the 440CC tank and configure it as a I260 (.172 orafice) for a L1 flight and then reconfigure as a J for a L2 flight.

Was your motor fill about 3 lbs?

Actually the nitrous fill is only 1 1/2 pounds.... I get the extra weight from fiberglassing the entire rocket and of course the weight of the Nitrous tank,bell and grain.

I used one layer of 4oz and then one layer of 2 oz vail. The reason being is I have access to vinylester resin which is specially made by the company I work for. The lab techs claim it has the best of both worlds as far as being strong and durable yet also flexible. Nothing like polyester resin which is used in the fiberglass industry for truck caps and such which would be way to brittle for our application.

Latest posts

Back