Brand New to Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsidemike

Reaction score
I need to get some rockets for xmas for my 2 sons. 10 & 15. I am trying to buy online, but i want to get extra engines and igniterts and there is very little info as to which engines go with which rockets. None of the websites including estes have phone #s to talk with someone. Very frustrating!

Hey there. I'm right there with you, except I'm building rockets for myself, I'm not getting anyone else into it. But I too was surprised with how little information is obviously available.

My suggestion would be to go to your local hobby shop and talk to the people working there. You've been into enough stores before and can quickly tell which of the "help" actually know what they're talking about and which ones are there just for the holiday season. Talk to a few and find out which one(s) really know rocketry and seem eager to discuss it. I'm guessing every hobby shop has at least one. If not, find another hobby shop.

Once you've found him, he'll tell you everything you need to know to get started and you'll end up coming back again and again with other questions and looking to buy more stuff. :)

This is experience I've found recently with rocketry, but also with pretty much every other hobby I've taken up and enjoyed enough to spend a lot of time and money on.

For help on builds, or techniques on how to do things, I've found this forum to be priceless. If I haven't found an answer doing a search (and I've found lots) I've just started my own thread.

There are lots of great blogs where someone is building a rocket and they post step by step what they did, giving tips, showing pictures, etc. so you can see exactly how to build a rocket. Use Google to find them or I can link you to a few if you'd like. They're very helpful to read before starting a build of your own because there is a LOT of things you need to do that the instructions don't even hint at.

Good luck!

I need to get some rockets for xmas for my 2 sons. 10 & 15. I am trying to buy online, but i want to get extra engines and igniterts and there is very little info as to which engines go with which rockets. None of the websites including estes have phone #s to talk with someone. Very frustrating!

Since you mentioned Estes, you can download their catalog here:

https://www.estesrockets.com/media//catalogs/Estes_2011_Catalog.pdf

Along with the kit information, there is also a recommended motor.

Greg

Estes.RTF.2011.Catalog.jpg

As with just about any hobby, someone new to it would be best served by going into a brick and mortar shop and asking an expert. That being said, Estes states very clearly which engines go with which models. The Alpha is a great starter rocket for someone who wants to learn to properly attach and align fins, and it runs great on A8-3 engines and then go up the recommended list from there. The Alpha III is a similar experience, but you don't need to glue or align fins, or paint.

Hobbylinc has a required items list at the bottom of each item page which includes the list of recommended motors. That's just one vendor but they have good prices and low shipping charges.

As Greg points out the Estes catalog also has this info.

As a word of caution I would be hesitant to launch on the largest recommended motor until you get a feel for your launch area. Some of the smaller rockets can really get up there on the larger motors. It would be a shame to lose your rockets on your first launch.

I can't think of a better activity for kids (and dads, grand dads) than model rocketry. It's a great hobby that encourages learning, gets the family outdoors and it doesn't cost a whole lot of money. I'm sure your boys will have a great time with their rockets.

Redside and Mushtang-Welcome to TRF! I would heartily recommend the Apogee Components website. Tim has done much to de-mystify the basics and has a ton of videos to show what he's talking about. There are lots of different aspects to our hobby and he touches on most in a very basic, understandable way. His company is dedicated to service and putting information out there so you can make informed choices. Of course, he hopes you chose his offerings and offers incentives for return customers. Done right, it's addictive hobby. Done poorly- it's a very addictive hobby! Jump in!

I agree with the recommendation to stay low with the smaller motors at first. Motors get more powerful with increasing letters. So a B is more powerful than an A. And a C motor is more powerful than a B.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near you they often have starter kits in stock and all Estes stuff is 30% off this week. The starter kit will include a launch pad, launch rod, launch controller (not sure if batteries are included), and a rocket or two. They almost never include motors, but the package will tell you what motors you need.

for most estes rockets, I would suggest using the engines they reccomend for 1st flight. i would sugget you avoid the smallest/largest motors untill you get a feel for how the rockets perform.

Welcome to the forum and to rocketry. I'm surprised no one has mentioned; One of the best sources of information is a local flying club. If you're unsure where to look you can check here www.nar.org/NARlaunches.html or give your general location (state and region) and someone on the forum would be sure to hook you up. Additionally your local hobby shop useally has contacts to any local clubs or flyers. Flying is great fun but club flying adds an even greater dimention to the sport. You'll meet some of the best people around. It's also cool to see what others are flying and to learn from them. I have yet to find a club that wasn't full of the most helpful and gracious people I've ever met. Check around and keep us informed.:D

Ask, we tell!

Hate to sound like a hobby lobby advertisement. That being said, check out

https://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=187084

Tandem X launch set, two rockets, one pretty much ready to fly, other looks like it has some building.
Will have all the launch pad and electronic ignition, $25 before 40% off with two dollar shipping. So $17 delivered plus tax if they charge it on Internet purchases where you live.

You will need to get some engines,
https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/launch-sets/001469-tandem-xtm-amazontm-crossfire-isxtm
Will tell you what you need.

Concur with prior post, check out NAR for local clubs who can guide and encourage you and your sons.

Welcome to TRF.

TOM

Last edited:
Tandem X launch set, two rockets, one pretty much ready to fly, other looks like it has some building.
Will have all the launch pad and electronic ignition, $25 before 40% off with two dollar shipping. So $17 delivered plus tax if they charge it on Internet purchases where you live.

for most estes rockets, I would suggest using the engines they reccomend for 1st flight. i would sugget you avoid the smallest/largest motors untill you get a feel for how the rockets perform.

Two very good pieces of information here. Since you will need a launch rod/pad and launch controller anyway, the "starter sets" are without a doubt the cheapest way to obtain them. Many places like Hobby Lobby and Michael's (the craft store) offer 40 and 50% off one item coupons to get these with. Add a couple Estes or Quest kits that they can build and some motors and you will be all set.

Regarding the "1st flight" recommended motors, some of the most fun I have with my girls is launching their C6 capable rockets on the A8 "1st flight" motors. They get to spend more time chasing and launching and less time hunting them.

Try Hobbylinc.com they are based in NC. Good rocket descriptions/what recommended engines. Also Good Prices. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and fun builds! :)

https://hobbyalley.com/store/product/15980/Rascak-Hijinks-Launch-Set/

I picked this up for my girls (8 and 6) to go along with their Quarks and other scratch builts. Dirt cheap and gets their feet wet.

I'm figuring that the 15 year old would be mature enough to handle a skill level 1 by himself and do it properly. I recommend this as a first rocket:

https://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=1006&eq=&Tp=

Or...

https://www.questaerospace.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=1018&eq=&Tp=

Or if you want to stick with Estes (not a darn thing wrong with Estes!) here are my picks:

https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/kits/skill-1/007208-ricochet

https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/kits/skill-1/003206-star-strykertm

Back