Bottle Rockets Without Report?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Hall II

Reaction score
So lately I've been building 1 to 6g rubber band/catapult launch outdoor gliders, stick and profile/3D scale. I have access to a laser cutter so they are pretty easy to whip out and fun to fly. Then I had a bit of a flashback: I was in the retail fireworks business for a decade and once or twice we sold bottle rockets without report. They were not a huge seller, but some people liked them. At ~$5 for 144 of them, they would make great cheap boosters for micro gliders. I've found quite a few fireworks dealers that will ship to legal states, but none that clearly carry report-less bottle rockets. It's not the kind of thing that's worth advertising and it's also pretty difficult to search for with google since the defining word between regular and no bang is "without" report instead of with report.

Any ideas?

Caveat: these are fireworks, not Rockets. I know we all know the difference, just wanted to put that out there for anyone stopping by.

That means they're never covered by any Rocketry safety code, and should never be used at an organized launch. With that out of the way...

https://www.aaafireworks.com/category/Rockets-3

Tri-Whistle Bottle Rocket
High flying bottle rocket with three seperate whistles without report

Thank you for your reply, link and especially for the caveat!
Those could work, and wouldn't destroy the glider. They are, however, pretty loud and would appear more firework like than rocket motor like, so if anyone has a link to regular paper cased one, please post a link as well.

I might try these, but would like to draw less attention to myself.

Would MMX motors meet your needs? They're slightly wider than the standard bottle rocket but not by much. I think the burn time is shorter.

Where are you located? I have ~50 MMX motors and I'd give you 20/30. I've had them for several years but used less than 5. I thought I'd use them more than I have.

That's very kind of you.

I live in Ohio near Akron. As a makerspace teacher who has students build A size rockets from scratch, I wouldn't turn them down. I wrote a grant last year that I've been using to buy model rocket parts and motors. All of my 6th, 7th & 8th graders design their own 3D printed nose cone and laser cut fins. I have an assortment of 13mm and 18mm A motors, but MMX motors would be a cool option.

The bottle rocket idea was just for personal use, and wouldn't involve students, BTW

You're on the wrong side of Ohio. I'm in Indianapolis and about 2 hours from Dayton. If you ever come West for a launch, let me know and we can meet up. I have a bulk packs of A8-3 motors that could go towards some school uses too.

Making your own motors at bottle rocket size is possible but it's basically a nozzleless end burner and not that easy to do. Since they're so cheap and you're not afraid of EX type stuff, pick up some bottle rockets with report and see how easy it would be to remove the flash powder report.

Back