Bomark build ??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Greene

Reaction score
So Im at the point that Im going to join the nacelles to the body tube and WOW - the sure isnt a lot of meat there for them to attach. The MadCow kit use a piece of balsa over ply and then trim the balsa back to make a stab into the BT - But it sure seems weak, anyone build this kit that can offer some advice before I proceed. I really wish I had made some type of through fin type deal for them had Id known.

Andy

Last edited:
Andy:
First it's Spelled BOMARC not bomark.
The attachment pylons to the Ramjet nacelles always look a little weak but they really are quite robust if you follow the directions. On my Scratch built BT-80 Size Bomarc I used ONLY Balsa with two 1/8" pin dowels into the standard .021" wall body tube. That clustered model had more the 25 flights on it before I broke the seals on the motor mount centering rings. Meaning I need to replace the motor mount & stuffer tube to fly it again. In all that time and with all the other Bomarcs I have in my fleet. I've yet to even crack a ramjet pylon in flight or landing. Micro-Max to 3-D12 cluster BT-80 model.

Yeah , I realized I pooched the spelling after I hit submit :blush:
Thanks for the reply, any chance of you posting a close up pic of the front (inlet side) of your Ramjet nacelles - Im interested in how yours came out.
Here is mine so far- still a TON of sanding left....

w9iuwz.jpg

Once again, thanks for the reply,

Andy

Last edited:
Andy,
You gonna have that thing done for this month's launch? The funny part is I've got one in the bag waiting to be built. Still trying to get Kevin out....

Oh, and getting Chip to build it for you would have been totally cheating !

Bruce

Last edited:
Yeah , I realized I pooched the spelling after I hit submit :blush:
Thanks for the reply, any chance of you posting a close up pic of the front (inlet side) of your Ramjet nacelles - Im interested in how yours came out.
Here is mine so far- still a TON of sanding left....

w9iuwz.jpg

Once again, thanks for the reply,

Andy

Lord Knows John is Da Worlds Worst Speller hands down....No News there!

I'll have to take one Andy: My BT-80 model nacelles are open (drilled out hollow) turned Balsa nacelles with cut-off BT-20 Plastic Nosecones inserted with thin (1/32") plywood X-strip centering slats. Both Ram-Jet Tubes also have small FX smoke generating motor (Slightly smaller then MMX motors-6mmx1in) mounts just inside the rear of each. You can see the 7second FX Smoker pre-cluster Ignition smoke in the last 4-pic photo, Very nice effect and extra mission points;)
I've used this same FX smoker system on models in 1:47 scale PMC Bomarc, 1:48 Estes Mini-Bomarc, Scratch built 1:48 Mini-Gliding Bomarc, Will be in the 1:26 Gliding Bomarc and of coarse the 1:13 Scale BT-80 Bomarc.

I do have a couple shots of the nacelles for my Gliding 26.4151 Scale BT-50 Size Bomarc. These intakes are turned balsa with fabricated Tracing vellum transitions CA Soaked and attached to the BT-20 core tube and Balsa Pylons. Not sure it this will help you with your model but thought I'd attach them anyway. This model is still waiting for a spirit to move me to finishing it.

Bomarc_26,4151-a_scale_parts pic_01-20-03.jpg

Bomarc_26,4151-b_scale_parts pic_01-20-03.jpg

077b2d_Bomarc 13,25 3pic Flt_ECRM-18_04-28-91.jpg

077b3e_Bomarc 13.25 4pic Flt_ECRM-22_06-10-95.jpg

Last edited:
Back