Bomarc Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceS

Would you like a jelly baby?
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rebuilding a glide Bomarc. I was gifted this model that had flown before. When I tried to remove the power corcorrd it unwound.
So I prepared that part of the damage but now it will not slide in and out smoothly. My question is do I sand down the power core rings or do I sand the inside of the body tube?PXL_20230629_005508567.jpg

Sanding the tube would likely leave fuzz that would cause the pod to stick worse. I'd sand the rings.

Rebuilding a glide Bomarc. I was gifted this model that had flown before. When I tried to remove the power corcorrd it unwound.
So I prepared that part of the damage but now it will not slide in and out smoothly. My question is do I sand down the power core rings or do I sand the inside of the body tube

Can I ask a favor? Can you get me the local length of that conduit along the top, its height and its width?

I have one of these that my brother mostly completed building back in the 70s, but that particular piece is missing. Someone has since gotten me dimensions off of a later version of the kit, but I'm curious to see if the measurements on the Citation kit match.

-Kevin

Can I ask a favor? Can you get me the local length of that conduit along the top, its height and its width?

I have one of these that my brother mostly completed building back in the 70s, but that particular piece is missing. Someone has since gotten me dimensions off of a later version of the kit, but I'm curious to see if the measurements on the Citation kit match.

-Kevin
As best I can measure, overall length 16-7/16". 37/64" wide, 17/32" tall. Front tapered section is 2-3/8" long. Rear tapered section is 1-16/32" long. Hope this helps.

Bruce

I think it's pretty great that your self-concept is strong enough that you can share a moment like this with the rest of the world, even including the laughter at the end. :) We've all had such events with our carefully crafted beauties, too often in a demonstration to folks who've never seen model rockets. That gentle "puff" at the end popping out the parachute was, for me, the icing on the cake. :) Be sure to post your next, successful launch of the Bomarc. (As a kid, long before my first Estes rocket, I had a plastic model of the Bomarc; Revell, I think. I just thought they were so cool.)

I think it's pretty great that your self-concept is strong enough that you can share a moment like this with the rest of the world, even including the laughter at the end. :) We've all had such events with our carefully crafted beauties, too often in a demonstration to folks who've never seen model rockets. That gentle "puff" at the end popping out the parachute was, for me, the icing on the cake. :) Be sure to post your next, successful launch of the Bomarc. (As a kid, long before my first Estes rocket, I had a plastic model of the Bomarc; Revell, I think. I just thought they were so cool.)
Thank you for the compliment. I have had far worse outcomes. As a matter of fact, if you talk to many of the members of my club, CMAS, S they'll tell you I have a bit of a reputation. I had one model due an unplanned mid-air rapid disassembly. At least this one is only going to require a little putty a little sanding and adjustments. It will fly again.

Hey, but actually, do you know what the problem was that caused it to arc over like that? Launch angle? Inherent Bomarc design? Other? What keeps it from doing that the next time, too?

I'm pretty sure it's the elevator issue. Well it is held down by elastic. I think I need to smooth out part of the original paint job and get it to lower a little bit more. Then I'll replace the elastic with something a little bit stronger so that it holds down. I'll do a couple of glide tests to make sure before I launch again.

Ok, got the elevator in the position I thought would work. Stuck the landing . Would have been better if it hadn't struck overhead wires and destroyed the starboard nacelle. Back to the repair shop.bomarc stuck 2.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003352.mp4
    4.5 MB
BruceS
I don't know if you have the instructions or not so here they are: https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/estKC-5/estKC-5.pdf

It shows how to adjust it to get the correct flight on it. If you get the right CG and elevator positions, it should fly much better. Just trying to help, I have 2 of the Tomcats and it took some trial and error to get them flying correctly. I leaned closely to stall rather than nose dive.

BruceS
I don't know if you have the instructions or not so here they are: https://plans.rocketshoppe.com/estes/estKC-5/estKC-5.pdf

It shows how to adjust it to get the correct flight on it. If you get the right CG and elevator positions, it should fly much better. Just trying to help, I have 2 of the Tomcats and it took some trial and error to get them flying correctly. I leaned closely to stall rather than nose dive.
Thanks but I did have the instructions. I've made adjustments to elevator and the center of gravity and will make more as soon as I figure out how to copy the ram scoop cone.

After going over the videos slowly, actually never seen the Bomarc in the glide phase. It might be ok the way you had adjusted it. The problem is the arcing over during the boost phase. The thing never had a chance to glide. I guess you have to remedy that to find out how it actually glides!! Not enough power, angled launch rod first time, looks like wind could have been a factor in the second video.

Back