Boeing CIM-10 Bomarc - Successful Launch Today

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I posted a little while ago about scratch building a Boeing Bomarc from 3D printed parts I designed / printed and BT60 + BT55 ramjet tubes + BT20 top pod. Model comes in at around 25" tall and 215 grams. I wound up putting a 1oz weight in nose to make sure this would be stable.

Finally had a chance to test launch this guy today and it flew great. Designed this for D engines and flew it on a D12-3 today. It arched a tiny bit over the top of the model but that could have been a bit of wind cocking based on the direction of the wind. Very little twisting or spinning which people had mentioned was a problem with these models (and honestly my ramjets are not even perfectly centered / distributed). I had a failed chute deployment but that is likely because I did not put enough wadding in and/or had parachute too close to engine. Anyway, model more or less "glided" to a landing due to large wings and nose-cone being off so no damage (nice damp to muddy field).

The BT55 tubes are a bit larger than scale but closer than a BT50 tube would be (too small) so I went with it. Happy with the model although my wife says it looks like a plane and not a rocket or missile. One delay was cleaning up what wound up being a very bumpy top pod. I tried to reshape a BT20 tube half so it would be a bit taller and thinner than stock (I used some 3D printed half loops in middle and two ends have tapered 3D printed parts). Anyway, part wound up twisting and was really bumpy when it set up. I finally found my wood filler and was able to straighten things out with wood filler (actually amazed it looks as straight as it does)

Given your craftsmanship and finishing skills I find that surprising!

yours in primer looks better than mine in paint!

Thanks, I appreciate that very much -- I did just remember one trick that I did for this model, I 3D printed some jigs to glue the wings on straight given the distance they are down from top of body tube.

I posted a little while ago about scratch building a Boeing Bomarc from 3D printed parts I designed / printed and BT60 + BT55 ramjet tubes + BT20 top pod. Model comes in at around 25" tall and 215 grams. I wound up putting a 1oz weight in nose to make sure this would be stable.

Finally had a chance to test launch this guy today and it flew great. Designed this for D engines and flew it on a D12-3 today. It arched a tiny bit over the top of the model but that could have been a bit of wind cocking based on the direction of the wind. Very little twisting or spinning which people had mentioned was a problem with these models (and honestly my ramjets are not even perfectly centered / distributed). I had a failed chute deployment but that is likely because I did not put enough wadding in and/or had parachute too close to engine. Anyway, model more or less "glided" to a landing due to large wings and nose-cone being off so no damage (nice damp to muddy field).

The BT55 tubes are a bit larger than scale but closer than a BT50 tube would be (too small) so I went with it. Happy with the model although my wife says it looks like a plane and not a rocket or missile. One delay was cleaning up what wound up being a very bumpy top pod. I tried to reshape a BT20 tube half so it would be a bit taller and thinner than stock (I used some 3D printed half loops in middle and two ends have tapered 3D printed parts). Anyway, part wound up twisting and was really bumpy when it set up. I finally found my wood filler and was able to straighten things out with wood filler (actually amazed it looks as straight as it does)

That is as nice a launch as you can get....perfect height on a D12. Wow.

Thanks so much -- yeah, I am not into the high-altitude launches... I like the rocket to just go beyond what I can see... also my field is not big enough for high launches ;)
Describes Low Power Rocketry at its best! Except while my eyes are still good, I like to keep apogee/deployment in sight.

it’s when I LOSE sight of the rocket that der MicroMeister or Gary Byrum snatches it and I never see it again. They have acquired quite a collection just from my launches alone!

I finally had a chance to publish these designs for purchase / download here:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/boeing-bomarc-bt-60-model-rocket
I am really trying to see if it is worth it to publish all these designs. It takes a ton of time to create them, test, modify, launch, etc... and additional time to sort out / organize the files and post on platforms like Cults3D or Ebay. I am in the process of transitioning in my career (i.e., lost my job and looking for a new one). I would like to be able to spend some of my time on entrepreneurial endeavors -- maybe creating more and more rocket designs and publishing them. However, it seems like there is a pretty small market for 3D design files / print-it-yourself. Maybe a larger market if I print the files and create kits or something but not sure that is in the cards.

I finally had a chance to publish these designs for purchase / download here:
https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/boeing-bomarc-bt-60-model-rocket
I am really trying to see if it is worth it to publish all these designs. It takes a ton of time to create them, test, modify, launch, etc... and additional time to sort out / organize the files and post on platforms like Cults3D or Ebay. I am in the process of transitioning in my career (i.e., lost my job and looking for a new one). I would like to be able to spend some of my time on entrepreneurial endeavors -- maybe creating more and more rocket designs and publishing them. However, it seems like there is a pretty small market for 3D design files / print-it-yourself. Maybe a larger market if I print the files and create kits or something but not sure that is in the cards.
I too wish you the best in your job hunt. Regarding making a living off model rocketry, I think about talented people like Jim Flis, Rob Edmonds, Shrox, and I think @hcmbanjo still has his day job, so don’t put all your eggs in that basket.

I too wish you the best in your job hunt. Regarding making a living off model rocketry, I think about talented people like Jim Flis, Rob Edmonds, Shrox, and I think @hcmbanjo still has his day job, so don’t put all your eggs in that basket.

Thank you very much. Yes, right now I am just trying to recoup some of the costs of buying filament and body tubes and other supplies. However, it would be nice to be able to spend some more time on this if I could make a little bit of $$.

I need to do more to assess the price point that works for people for purchasing 3D printed files as well as a price point that would work if I printed and sold the printed parts themselves. It is also apparent that the budgets and interest vary significantly for low vs. mid-powered rocketry kits. Ultimately, I may need a partnership w/ one of the established companies to make this work as well.

Still looking for fulltime jobs, working on consulting projects, volunteering w/ high-status academic and government programs, launching a multi-university course, writing a book, etc... more of an issue of how many eggs I can keep in the air.

I sold out my original 20x models so took down the Facebook post. I will be launching a more permanent site with the models available and what runs are ready to ship. Please message me if you are interested in any of my models and I will let you know what I have ready or when I might produce another run.

I sold out my original 20x models so took down the Facebook post. I will be launching a more permanent site with the models available and what runs are ready to ship. Please message me if you are interested in any of my models and I will let you know what I have ready or when I might produce another run.
Do you still have kits available?

Back