Bluemoon II 4"/54mm/cardboard/foam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
Hey all... I haven't built a rocket in about 5 years, and my buddy has offered me one of his homebrewed
54mm 2500Ns motors to fly at our upcoming ARG launch in Phoenix.
My first ever homebrewed motor was in the same hardware, in a 4" 3FNC rocket called Bluemoon.
That rocket was a major test bed for my own motors for quite awhile. I've decided to build a new one,
named, oddly enough, Bluemoon II. I still have the original artwork that a friend of mine did for me.
It's a little play on Smurfette. I attached the artwork below.
Construction is very basic. 4" LOC airframe, 54mm LOC MMT, 3-G10 fins.
Av-Bay with dual altimeters, Dual deployment.
If performance on Don's motor is similar to the first one I flew, I'm guesstimating 9K' and between 900-1000mph.
I'm not fiberglassing the airframe. I will be 'stuffing' the booster with a phlexible phenolic coupler from the top CR
up to where the Av-Bay will meet with it, and the payload section, from the top of the Av-Bay to the bottom of the
Nosecone. Bottom of the NC will be cut off and an attachment point epoxied in up at the tip to allow for at least a portion
of the recovery harness to be in the nose and keep the length somewhat short. Fins are 1/8" G-10. Booster will be
2-part foamed from top CR to bottom CR. I'll scuff/score up the roots of the fins for good adhesion.

For Electronics, I'll be using a G-Wiz MC2 (updated firmware!) and a MissileWorks RRC2 Mini.

I've done a couple of minor things so far, but have yet to cut the fins out, build the Av-Bay, etc.
Pics will be forthcoming!

R

smurfettenew.jpg

Sounds like ARG is going to have many cool flights. You might want to put this in the "scratch built" section or are you going to show a secret technique ;)

Yea, you're right, probably would have been better in the 'Scratch' thread.
I wouldn't say anything I do is ground breaking. Just showing that a cardboard rocket with a little bit of reinforcement will
stand up to mach flights! ;)

R

Back