Blue Thunder wasn't blue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
definetly blue thunder, cool flight and the fact that its in california rules out Loki and AMW so yup, unless it was EX it must be AT (definetly looks like BT and I would bet a good bit on it).

California has some specific rules for the sale of things like rocket motors. Aerotech has the CSFM approval for sale, while AMW and Loki do not, so of the three manufacturers, only Aerotech can be sold in CA (CTI can as well).

I think I remember reading somewhere (more than likely here) that AMW was going to make it a priority to get certified in CA.

"And silence fell upon the land as 'the animals' were loosed to roam and wreak havoc." - Book of the ZooKeeper, 5:19

-Aaron

for flying one of these loads in CA? You say they cant be sold in CA but you dont say anything about the use of the load... Reason I ask is because I have seen one (a blue babboon L motor) AMW motor launched in NORCAL... a couple of years ago.

Originally posted by jraice
for flying one of these loads in CA? You say they cant be sold in CA but you dont say anything about the use of the load... Reason I ask is because I have seen one (a blue babboon L motor) AMW motor launched in NORCAL... a couple of years ago.

40 lashes with a wet noodle

or

Beheading followed by being drawn and quartered with your head being placed on a pike and your body parts being sent to the 4 corners of the world

or

Nothing really as it was years ago and if nothing has happened by now, nothing will

or

If the Fire marshal were to see it, and question it, and found that it didn't have the correct seal, you'd probably get fined or arrested or both.

or

um, yeah...I can't think of anything else.

Originally posted by cjl
I still like this one better:

(no, I swear I'm not biased :eek:)

that freakin cool cjl, I'm gonna have to try that in mine, those were j800's ??

Originally posted by jraice
definetly blue thunder, cool flight and the fact that its in california rules out Loki and AMW so yup, unless it was EX it must be AT (definetly looks like BT and I would bet a good bit on it).

no EX in ca either, still has to be CSFM approved :mad: thats why I moved to utah :D that and the multipule wife thing...LOL

No AMW or Loki either.

Geez.
After watching vids of all the High Power flying in CA for years I thought they had it all...and us east coast people didn't.

"I believe they were M1939's (could be wrong) just lucky to catch the flames on liftoff. before the smoke took over."

M1939 is a white lightning load isnt it? Its the largest AT M, 98mm...

Originally posted by metalwizard
that freakin cool cjl, I'm gonna have to try that in mine, those were j800's ??

Yep, J800's. Here's video:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/WCbryV8zR9U"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/WCbryV8zR9U" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

It'll get K1100's hopefully this spring sometime...

Originally posted by metalwizard
I believe they were M1939's (could be wrong) just lucky to catch the flames on liftoff. before the smoke took over.

Nope - definitely not. From what I hear, though, they are planning on using M1939's for the next flight. My bet on that one would be L1500's...

cjl ;)... but yeah I know they arent M1939's and cjl seems confident in the L1500 and I see no reason why it wouldnt be... I am not firmiliar with that load so I cant be sure. That rocket looks like it would kick some butt on M1939's!!!

So K1100T's for the next duece flight? You should try out some redline in that thing! K695R would be a pretty awesome flight...

Nope - thanks to some great financial luck with regards to motors, this deuce will be a prolific flier...

The next planned flight is going to be on a pair of K530 smoky sam motors which my dad and I am getting as demo loads (free...)

Then, I will frantically turn it around as quickly as possible and hopefully on the same day fly again on K1100's (Nate said he'd supply one motor)

That's happening at a launch in May...

Then, at LDRS, it will fly on K555 skids (which we got a great deal on - $120 for 2), as well as possibly some demo or EX loads (we'll see...)

Then, if it hasn't crashed yet, it will hopefully get some K1275's in October - that'll be kind of a grand finale for the year's flights, and it completely bypasses the wimpy K695 ;). It should be really neat to have a pair of red flames each almost as long as the rocket behind it...

So, that's somewhere between 5 and 7 flights over a period of a year - this is definitely not a display rocket...

Love that pic of the I300T...

Chris, how are you getting two K530 for demos? They have been around for a loonnggg time. Think the smoke will blend or still be two seperate trails?

That J800 video was awesome, I had seen pics but not a video, got a decent amount of smoke a few seconds into the burn, probalby just the delay smoke though...

I think I remember Chris saying that GLR was giving them to him so he can fly them as advertisements.

In essence, yes. It's a promotion type of thing within our club - a BUNCH of CTI stuff will be flying that day. It'll be pretty neat, as we normally don't see too much CTI.

Originally posted by cjl
Nope - definitely not. From what I hear, though, they are planning on using M1939's for the next flight. My bet on that one would be L1500's...

could be what I was thinking, I remember gary talking to andy about M1939's for that project, just must not have been for that launch.

as for the biggest 98mm motor aerotech makes... officaly N2000 6 grain white lightning. and the N4800 blue thunder,(but I dont think thats actually in production at this time, but i could be wrong)

I thought it was in production, but special order only...

You should fly an N4800 in your Redstone at LDRS :D

Originally posted by cjl
In essence, yes. It's a promotion type of thing within our club - a BUNCH of CTI stuff will be flying that day. It'll be pretty neat, as we normally don't see too much CTI.

Thats very cool! CTI isnt as huge as AT at my local site but we have a pretty decent CTI dealer with casings to borrow so we are starting to see more and more... They are great motors but just a tad bit under visually with AT... If they had some more propellants that were more attractive (loud, smokey...) I would probably use them more often. For now I usually only use them occasionally for their performance characteristics or for their easy igniton (airstarts).

Yeah - I normally don't use them for the same reasons, but hey - I won't refuse free rockets of any kind :D

Originally posted by cjl
I thought it was in production, but special order only...

You should fly an N4800 in your Redstone at LDRS :D

Like i said its not truley in production, but you want one, I'm sure we can make it..

as for the redstone.........huuuuummmmmm....

Back