Blue Thunder wasn't blue?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maagic

Reaction score
I just launched my first composite engi...er.. motor today, a E28-4T and while I did see a quick flash of blue flame at ignition, the overall flame was a orange/yellow flame, similar to regular black powder.

Is this common?

From what I've seen, you don't get much of a blue flame until you get into the larger motors, 38mm or so. I almost always get blue flame on an I357 or an I435. YMMV

-Aaron

Yeah, I think that is because the color changes due to the increased pressure, although I am not entirely sure.

Ian

the best blue flame comes from L1500T or M2500T. although, J180T at night is just really cool!!

In L1, I357 is my daughter's favorite.

yeah, G80, F39, E28, D15, D24... they just don't show much blue flame. but they sure take off in a hurry!

edit: here is a photo of my 10" Nike Smoke on L1500T

lots of other great photos from that launch! check 'em all out here

Another Great Blue flame is the K1100 (added to your list of AT motors) in other manufactures the blue baboon propellants by AMW are a very vivid blue flame. I especially love the N4000BB. (but just about any of the BB motors have a great color.)

How about this?

Its an I300 first stage to an H180 in the upper stage. Broke just over 5000 ft. and did it in a hurry.

Or this one. It's an I435, but not much flame (it just broke the launch pad!)

-Aaron

However, the N4800T has the best flame of them all!
P3.jpg
3 N4800's

The c-slot motors don't really show much on the blue thunders, but they're still pretty cool! Here's my AT Strong Arm on an F52 - you see a little flame at the base of the motor, but it's not blue, and it's not big...

Attachments

• strongarmf52.jpg
    strongarmf52.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 19
anyone got a pick of the AMW 38mm BB? I am hoping to fly one in my "Patriotic Patriot from HELL!" rocket. Flying on 4th of july :) one AMW Blue, 2 G64's, and 2 G77's :D (I know I need a signiture that is all worked out)

Ben

I271BB%20_JG.jpg

You can just make out the mach diamonds. MUch Much Much prettier in real life ;)

Oh, that is a 38/390 with the I271BB

I think thats blue enough :) If I can get an L3 to sign off (only L2 at this time) Maybe I can fly it on 2 BB's an I211 in the center and 2 H165's :D But that is with help from a buddy and L3 sign off :)

Ben

Originally posted by n3tjm
Why do you need a L3 signoff? That will be in the K range :confused:

do I need to up the anti? ;) I was jut going off the top of my head and I though it was M. I need to keep it under 5000' so I am working on weight/impulse.

Ben

The 29mm H220T shows a pretty bright blue flame.

Gotta act quick, the motor only burns for 1 second.:D

I think the reason the I435 doesn't show much flame is because of the huge nozzle that it uses.

On the other hand, it kicks HARD!!!:D

I flew one in my Raptor, didn't think a 7 foot rocket could move that fast!!!:D

The I300 is a beautiful motor, loud, powerful and shows a big, bright blue flame.

Originally posted by ben
do I need to up the anti? ;) I was jut going off the top of my head and I though it was M. I need to keep it under 5000' so I am working on weight/impulse.

Ben

2 I271 would be ~ 780
1 I211 ~ 480
2 H165's ~ 360
-------------------------------
~ 1620 (K)

2 J440BB ~ 1320
1 I211 ~ 480
2 H165's ~ 360
-----------------------------------
~ 2160 (K)

Now if you cluster 5 J440's ... You will get 3,300 n/s (L ;) )

Want a M?
Cluster 8 J440's :D (5280 Very small M)

Just some fun info for you ben ;)

Originally posted by n3tjm
2 I271 would be ~ 780
1 I211 ~ 480
2 H165's ~ 360
-------------------------------
~ 1620 (K)

2 J440BB ~ 1320
1 I211 ~ 480
2 H165's ~ 360
-----------------------------------
~ 2160 (K)

Now if you cluster 5 J440's ... You will get 3,300 n/s (L ;) )

Want a M?
Cluster 8 J440's :D (5280 Very small M)

Just some fun info for you ben ;)

well the diameter is final. 8"! 75mm with 4 54mm and 4 38mm. I might make it 8 38mm if the 54mm make it too tight.

Ben

that is crazy expensive per flight...

My favorite load is the K1100T and that definetly has some serious blue, as has been said. I dont see much in any motors smaller (I said much, almost all I-J BT's have some but besides in photo's it is hard to see) then the J800 or maybe the J460. THe J180T is great at night but in my saucer you couldnt see any flame and in pics it was more of a thin gold flame.

Originally posted by jraice
that is crazy expensive per flight...

My favorite load is the K1100T and that definetly has some serious blue, as has been said. I dont see much in any motors smaller (I said much, almost all I-J BT's have some but besides in photo's it is hard to see) then the J800 or maybe the J460. THe J180T is great at night but in my saucer you couldnt see any flame and in pics it was more of a thin gold flame.

whats rocketry if you don't burn money ;) 1 flight per year will be all.

Ben

Originally posted by ben
whats rocketry if you don't burn money ;) 1 flight per year will be all.

Ben

You know, if you fly a bunch of smaller things per year instead, not only will it give you more flights for the same money, but it will spread out the exercise that your fellow clubmembers get from being chased by your rockets, rather than wasting it all on one flight.

;) :p

Originally posted by JimJarvis50
One of my favorite "Blues".

I know its a repost pic, but this is my favorite blue thunder pic. I have it framed on my wall!!

I still like this one better:

(no, I swear I'm not biased :eek:)

Yeah, I had a favorite, until I saw that dual blue flame...

This one was pretty impressive up close and personal.
Those MD boys....

I'd guess Aerotech based on those pics and the fact that it was at PB...

Back