Blackhawk-38

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok well i think grouch is being well, a grouch.

BTW, i think we should delete this thread, its for the best.

Last edited:
That's "wfcook and me" :)

Just pulling your chain there.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum
Wait... wouldn't it be wfcook and I??? I've been told that the other way was wrong... but know as I look it up it appears either is acceptable.

"I think that was more directed towards Wfcook and I"

must make sense with both

"I think that was directed towards Wfcook"

"I think that was directed towards me"

here "I" wouldn't work

"I think that was directed towards I"

that's enough grammar for me in one day:):)

"I think that was more directed towards Wfcook and I"

must make sense with both

"I think that was directed towards Wfcook"

"I think that was directed towards me"

here "I" wouldn't work

"I think that was directed towards I"

that's enough grammar for me in one day:):)

Hit the nail on the head. That's how I always remember it.

For motor retention, I was thinking of using one of the aeropack minimum diameter retainers and killing two birds with one stone, i would have motor retention and shock cord anchor point. Has anyone here used them? Would you recommend them?

Heres the link https://www.apogeerockets.com/Build...eter_Retainers/38mm_Minimum_Diameter_Retainer

Also check out Aeropacks site they have ported MD retainer so you can still use motor ejection charges if desired and adapters so you can use different lengths and manufacturers motors. https://www.aeropack.net/min_dia_retainers.asp

This in a nut shell is why there should not be a junior program. By law under 18's can not handle black powder. Done. Also, your adult sponsor should be doing a hell of a lot more than putting their name on the flight card. They should be prepping the flight from start to finish as you are not allowed to handle black powder. You are a minor, and as such you lack the experience and forethought to be able to see how your choices and actions could potentially effect everyone in this hobby. If I were the RSO, you would not fly unless I personally witnessed your sponsor prep your flight, load the motor and instal the ignitor.

Umm...minors and BP, they can't purchase it, the law says nothing about using it. Minors hunt Black Powder rifle all the time, for that matter they can't by ammo either, but they are still allowed to hunt modern rifle. All with adult supervision.

NAR rules are a whole different thing. We follow them because it makes our hobby safe and acceptable/respondsible, and also because with out NAR you have the respondsibility to accept LIABILITY

Last edited:
Umm...minors and BP, they can't purchase it, the law says nothing about using it. Minors hunt Black Powder rifle all the time, for that matter they can't by ammo either, but they are still allowed to hunt modern rifle. All with adult supervision.

NAR rules are a whole different thing. We follow them because it makes our hobby safe and acceptable/respondsible, and also because with out NAR you have the respondsibility to accept LIABILITY

Hadn't thought of that.I have a friend who is 16 who makes most of his ammo because his family are big time hunters. Maybe it is just a NAR rule...

Let's remember that regulations for explosives are often very different when dealing with firearms than they are when dealing with non-firearm applications. This does not make sense, but it's the government so it doesn't have to. I'll leave it up to someone else to look that all up, but Tripoli and NAR generally aren't making this stuff up on their own.

Also, let's get back to the rocket (remember the Rocket? It's a Blackhawk 38). Perhaps the subject of junior high power regulations should be moved to another thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Last edited:
It's not hard to find. You can buy up to 50 pounds for use in firearms. Anything else and it's within the realm of our good friends at the BATFE.

This has certainly been enlightening. Talking from personal experience as a JL1 flier (I am now L2), nobody ever batted an eye at me when I proposed dual deploy flights. I was allowed to assemble my charges on my own, as well as assemble the high power reloads. At the pads, I installed the igniter, armed the electronics, and waited for the button to be pushed. In essence, I was treated and behaving like a flier with FULL L1 status. This included, upon reflection, flying HPR without an adult sponsor's name on the card at clubs I was known well and trusted at.

This was, of course, (mostly) done out of negligence. I didn't know any of the previous material posted in this thread.

Edit: clarification of my own personal negligence.

Last edited:
Back