Big ALCM RC Boost glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an upscaled version of my 24mm ALCM for 32mm and 29mm low thrust motors. 30 oz rtf with F-16 or F-26FJ, 60" long, some build pictures and a completed picture.

Frank

WP_000110 (2).jpgWP_000108.jpgWP_000112 (2).jpg

Maiden flights today were perfect, hands off boost, nice glide.

https://youtu.be/ZvaCrrML_Yc

Last edited:
Very nice. I will be waiting and watching for your flight report.

It's amazing what you have built with depron. I assume this depron. In the second picture I see a motor in the aft end that looks to me like a 24 mm BP motor, yet in the first post you talk about 29 mm and 32 mm motors. I am puzzled.

Aerostadt: what appears as a BP motor may well be a 33mm motor mount tube.

Ari.

Correct, it is a phenolic 32mm tube, a 29mm loc tube slips right in to adapt to 29mm.

and yes it is depron.

Frank

Frank, where do you get 32 mm tube? The closest I get is 33mm from BMS.

Ari.

That looked great on video, Frank!!

Sure gave an imposing 'meat in the air' looking glide too. Would a G38 be too much here on the main wings? Still wishing/waiting for AT to re-release the G33 or perhaps a SU motor again like the old G25 or such.....we really need those again.

Mike, its too light for the new g-38s, they are close to the g-40 if I rely on the flights I've done. But I've set this up to also use the f23sk and f-1632mm reloads.

Frank.

That looked great on video, Frank!!

Sure gave an imposing 'meat in the air' looking glide too. Would a G38 be too much here on the main wings? Still wishing/waiting for AT to re-release the G33 or perhaps a SU motor again like the old G25 or such.....we really need those again.

Frank,

Great flights!

Your gliders look fantastic both in the air and on the ground - can you give some tips on how you do the graphics? They really look sharp!

Mike Mc.

Thanks! For the graphics I get the stars/bars from sig mfg online, they also sell some sheets of "no step" type of aircraft markings that add a little bit of detail. They also sell letters. coverite used to make black vinyl letters, and that's what I used, but recently they stopped selling black for some reason. I think office max carries some vinyl cut black letters in different sizes. Lately I've just made some templates of letters and trace and cut them out of the monokote self adhesive trim, although that can take a while..

For the details I just use black or silver sharpie pens. I use a clear drafting triangle and ruler to make the markings to add some panel lines, rudder outline, etc. For curves or circles I just use glasses or plates or whatever might give me a good radius and then use that as a starting point to cut out the trim material or draw.

For the rest of the stripes/markings I just used self adhesive trim monokote sheets. They are at my local hobby shop for about $3 a sheet in many colors as well as silver/gold...I just mark and cut them and apply. I usually cut a small part of the backing off and then make sure it is in the right spot, then roll the marking on as I remove the backing to avoid bubbles. but a pin can normally remove the bubbles after applying. Sometimes I'll make a paper template if it is a complex shape, make sure it will fit right, then use that to mark the self adhesive covering. The trim monokote is some sort of mylar I think, and it adds some strength to the surface as well. Sometimes I'll use that as the hinge material as it sticks pretty well.
I'll try to apply the markings over slot/joints if I can which helps to reinforce them and hide them as well if applicable.

On the alcm, the CG marking is made up of a red circle, black circle and two "pie" pieces of white just layered on with the stripes as separate pieces. For the mouth, I cut the red mouth piece out then layed it onto a black sheet. I cut out the black leaving an outline of black on the outside and inside the teeth about 1/16". I left the teeth "open" so that when applied the white depron showed through. You could have just used a red mouth section and used a sharpie to make the black outline and save a bit of weight/material but I think this turned out good enough.

On my star blazers flying battleship I covered the foam sheets completely with red/grey trim monokote before assembly and used a sharpie on top of that for details. It added an ounce or so to the overall weight but I didn't have to paint and it really reinforced the depron. In a few cases where you have compound curves I'll need to use UHU por contact cement to make sure the sheets stick around the curves, but not normally.

I mostly do this freehand, and haven't really buckled down and tried making markings using a drawing program and printing them on decal sheets. Normally those would need some clear overspray to prevent smearing, I think. I also haven't tried the cut vinyl from stickershok on the unpainted depron so don't know how well that would stick, but I want to try a test. One issue with the stickershock vinyl, since they use a sticky backing to place them, it might pull off paint on the depron that wasn't primed and clear coated, but on the raw depron it might work ok.

Hope that helps.

Frank

Frank,

Great flights!

Your gliders look fantastic both in the air and on the ground - can you give some tips on how you do the graphics? They really look sharp!

Mike Mc.

Last edited:
Frank,

Thanks, that's great info. I like trim monokote too, I've used it for stripes and accents on planes but never done a full graphics scheme with it. It looks great!

When you have to paint a solid color (like on your X-15) what kind of paint do you use?

Mike Mc.

On depron the paints I've found that don't melt it are krylon short cuts, testirs and model master short tattle cans. I haven't stepped up to airbrushing yet. A lot of guys thin water based polyeurothane then use whatever after that.

Frank

After seeing Sam Battermans great 1/2 scale non gliding ALCM 45 pound version for L motors, I went back to look at my R)C gliding rendition. I found a few flight videos I don't think I ever posted, flown on F-26's and then later G-25 moonburner reloads. This is on the other spectrum of weight. 1 to 2.8 scale of the original test flight AGM-86A model. 30 oz rtf with F-26 and 36 ounces with the G-25.

Last edited:
Back