Better engines for the estes Saturn V ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[POW]Eagle159

Reaction score
I got out and flew some rockets yesterday. The last flight of the day was my newly finished estes Saturn V.
I bought some D12-3 engines, which should get the Saturn to 150 feet. So ... 5 4 3 2 1 launch! :smile: she took off slow but steady, engine burnout, all perfect, but WAY too low for comfort, the parachutes deployed at only 75' feet or so and only one of the 24'' chutes inflated, the other didn't have time to open.
The Saturn recovered with no damage, but it was too low for me.

Is there any other engines to fly with this model to get like 300' or so feet?

I was looking at some E20-4w engines on Hobbylinc, and was hopping for better flights with that. I would love to here what you use in your Saturn Vs , my only concern is if there is a large enough ejection charge for a reliable recovery?

The AT E15-4 is a much better engine choice for the Estes Saturn V than an Estes D12-3, especially if you built it heavy. (About 450' versus 150'.)

Bob

Also, if you wanted to try reloadable motors, any of the higher thrust full E motors that fit the 24/40 case would work as well. There is even two 50 Ns F motors that fits the case, for even a bit more punch. The case would be the exact same size as the Estes D12.

[POW]Eagle159;210314 said:
I got out and flew some rockets yesterday. The last flight of the day was my newly finished estes Saturn V.
I bought some D12-3 engines, which should get the Saturn to 150 feet. So ... 5 4 3 2 1 launch! :smile: she took off slow but steady, engine burnout, all perfect, but WAY too low for comfort, the parachutes deployed at only 75' feet or so and only one of the 24'' chutes inflated, the other didn't have time to open.
The Saturn recovered with no damage, but it was too low for me.

I was looking at some E20-4w engines on Hobbylinc, and was hopping for better flights with that. I would love to here what you use in your Saturn Vs , my only concern is if there is a large enough ejection charge for a reliable recovery?

The E20-4W is a twin pack and is sold by most retailers and is a perfect choice.

If you order from the Aerotech web sales site called www.valuerockets.com then you can buy E15-4 motors.

These are optimum as you don't want it flying too slow and overpowering it will make it fly way too fast to look "cool". The E15 or E20 will get it moving fast, but not too insanely fast.

Also, the motors with the black smoke just look "wrong" in a Saturn V.

Thanks for the feed back, I think I will try an AT E20-4 for the next launch, before I move up to F's. I still want it to stay low enough so I don't loose it thought..3-400' feet would be an ideal flight for me. I only launch at a rather small field compared to some of you. It's like 1000' by 300' but the winds blow the long ways.

You can see the difference between the thrust of the D12 vis-a-vis the E20. The D12 spikes then sustains whereas the E20 keeps on pushing longer.

Greg

MtrCompare_d12_e20_e30_c6x4.jpg

You can see the difference between the thrust of the D12 vis-a-vis the E20. The D12 spikes then sustains whereas the E20 keeps on pushing longer.

Greg

Yes I think that is exactly what my Saturn needs, the D's on this rocket is a no go. :eyeroll:

I used an E-sized motor clip and positioned the block accordingly in mine...

I bought some D12-3 engines, which should get the Saturn to 150 feet.
QUOTE]

We have a single engine version that's flown 20+ times on a D12-3 with no engine related problems. The only time it went hinky was when it hung up slightly from a dirty rod.

The key using a single D12-3 is to make sure to launch perfectly straight up, loose chutes, clean 4' rod, winds 5 mph or under. Much wind = no flight.

If you got it to 150' then you did very well. You must have built very light. Ours only hits about 100'. Personally I say cluster it but you should fly it on whatever you are comfortable with. Our 5 engine cluster does quite well on 4 A8-3's & 1 D12-3 (about 200') or 4 C6-5.s & a D12-5 (about 375'-400')

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I bought some D12-3 engines, which should get the Saturn to 150 feet.
QUOTE]

We have a single engine version that's flown 20+ times on a D12-3 with no engine related problems. The only time it went hinky was when it hung up slightly from a dirty rod.

The key using a single D12-3 is to make sure to launch perfectly straight up, loose chutes, clean 4' rod, winds 5 mph or under. Much wind = no flight.

If you got it to 150' then you did very well. You must have built very light. Ours only hits about 100'. Personally I say cluster it but you should fly it on whatever you are comfortable with. Our 5 engine cluster does quite well on 4 A8-3's & 1 D12-3 (about 200') or 4 C6-5.s & a D12-5 (about 375'-400')

Verna
www.vernarockets.com

I did exactly what you said when I launched, no wind(perfect day), 3' rod, no angle.
It did fly nice but TOO low for my comfort.
The only thing I don't is the altitude it reached. :fly:

Back