Best way to fill gap between tube and tailcone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastvolt

Reaction score
I have a gap between the surface (at the interface) of my body tube (4" fiberglass PML) and my tailcone (PML urethane) which is approximately 0.100" wide by about 0.100" deep.

What is the best way to fill this gap to make it look "top notch."

Thanks
Dan

I have a gap between the surface (at the interface) of my body tube (4" fiberglass PML) and my tailcone (PML urethane) which is approximately 0.100" wide by about 0.100" deep.

What is the best way to fill this gap to make it look "top notch."

The voice of inexperience...

Why not epoxy with micro-balloons or wood filler?

Why not epoxy with micro-balloons or wood filler?

I've used wood filler on seams between paper tubes (like at a tube coupler joint) and on a paper tube - balsa tailcone joint with decent success.

With those building materials you stated above, sand-able epoxy (perhaps with filler? Never used it myself) or Bondo would probably work. I've used Bondo on my boat (which is fiberglass) and it turned out fine.

I know I've read about folks using Bondo to fill imperfection on fiberglass airframes and nosecones, both on this board and on EMRR. Seems to me like it would be the same "ball of wax."

Thanks for the tips. I do have microballoons, so i'll that filler with epoxy.

Dan

Whats the best way to apply it to this gap? Should it just be slightly overfilled? According to the West Systems manual, looks like a peanut butter consistency may be best. I'll probably go with the 407 filler.

Whats the best way to apply it to this gap? Should it just be slightly overfilled? According to the West Systems manual, looks like a peanut butter consistency may be best. I'll probably go with the 407 filler.

Again ... I'm the voice of INEXPERIENCE on this. I think it would depend on how MUCH sanding you really want to do. If you very carefully applied it with a toothpick into the slot and built it up gradually you would probably have less sanding to do but you might leave gaps. Maybe piling it on and pushing it down into the cracks with a plastic scraper and then wiping the excess off before it sets?

Someone has to have the knowledge - I'm just speculating.

Back