Best Loc Kit for L1?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to use a single use for right now and get a reloadable case later. For my L1 i’ve decided the goblin.
As to cost, the Goblin is a good deal. I only added glue and paint to the kit for a ready to fly rocket. All chutes, Nomex and cords are included. It even comes with two motor adapter so can take 29, 38 & 54mm motors.

(hope this isn't the second time I've answered this...) There is no better choice than an EZI-65. Simple straightforward 3FNC, on a small H it's low and slow but super stable. There may be equally good choices, but there can't be any better.

(hope this isn't the second time I've answered this...) There is no better choice than an EZI-65. Simple straightforward 3FNC, on a small H it's low and slow but super stable. There may be equally good choices, but there can't be any better.
I get it but i already had a goblin coming for my birthday and the EZI looks like a very solid choice indeed. (I think you might have already suggested it or someone else did.)

Are you planning on attending the GRITS launch next month? I've been to the last two GRITS events and had a fun both times. Also, Chris Short and Jon Rocket will be on site selling stuff. If you attend, you won't be disappointed.

https://gritslaunch.com/
They don't say on the web site, is GRITS a Tripoli Research launch?

As to cost, the Goblin is a good deal. I only added glue and paint to the kit for a ready to fly rocket. All chutes, Nomex and cords are included. It even comes with two motor adapter so can take 29, 38 & 54mm motors.
And it does seem like the season for a Goblin :)

-- kjh

Jeff, your assumption is correct. We need a Tripoli-sponsored launch in Georgia.
I would help set up a club if we had a launch location. I have looked off and on for years to find a large field capable of 10K.

Well its a decent video, defiantly not need for L2... L2 is nothing but a L1 with a bigger motor mount (unfortunately).
I was pretty sure that for L2, you need to pass a written exam, and then you also had to do dual-deployment... no?

How do you figure? Lots of us have used the same rocket with a 38mm mount for both.
Sure, if you built a L1 that has 38mm mount then yes, there is literally no difference. If you didn't and built one with a 29mm mount, then the only real difference is the motor mount size.

I flew an IROC on a J motor for my L2 cert. Apogee deploy as the field was a mile square on a calm day. It was warm however and it thermaled down but got it back.

After doing countless Dual Deploy rockets I would say for a L2 cert learn and practice a smaller rocket cheap do motor deploy with a Jolly Chute Release and as you learn how it works then you wont have any surprises on your L2, or your L1 if you have practiced it.

When they came out I was testing them in a small field with 29mm E16 BP motors. Dinging up two tries of failing to deploy and then say "I need to go over his video a few more times to get this right.

Last edited:
I still don't understand the whole, "use one rocket for L1 and L2" thing. If you are short on budget and can only build one rocket and it's a 38mm, why bother with a L2 cert, other than being allowed to support the local launch by doing RSO/LSO duties (This is a very good reason). A 38mm rocket can cover the whole L1 range of motors, but only scratch the lower end of L2. If you really want to fly L2 motors, why not build a 54mm MMT rocket and be able to fly J to small L motors?

I think some of this debate comes up because the folks flying MPR and are looking to build a L1 rocket really don't understand the power of L2 rocket motors and have no idea what it takes to build a rocket that can fly in both power ranges. The kit manufactures don't help when they advertise kits that "will fly both L1 and L2 motors". A rocket that works well on L1, will get very high altitudes with L2 motors. Sure the kit can do both, and that may be fine west of the Mississippi, but it is a recipe for busting waivers and losing the rocket on most east coast fields.

The same thing applies to using MPR kits to cert and fly L1 motors. That 1000 ft. G motor easily hits 2000 ft. on a H and more as you fly large H and small I motors. I don't think people really appreciate the next power level until they fly them and all the advice from folks that do have the experience doesn't help in most cases.

I still don't understand the whole, "use one rocket for L1 and L2" thing.

I understand why they do. Building a couple of birds and flying a few motors before jumping to level 2 is better practice. Someone might want to do that if they were level 1 before and let it expire.

use one rocket for L1 and L2" thing

For me it is about exploring what the basic airframe [Minnie-Magg] is capable of. I had about 7-8 flights on it before I did level 2 with it. I tried different motor ratings, different recovery harness configurations, JLCR, and snap ring motors. I modified it to fly lower for level 2 to fit the size of our field.

The next step for it is electronic deployment with an extension and e-bay, which should fly this weekend. After that, I might use the fin can as a booster for a 2-stage project. I am also looking at modifying it for air starts.

I totally get the "design for a specific mission" mindset, but a multi-mission configurable rocket is an interesting challenge.

Back