Beautiful and cheap custom aluminum bulkheads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllDigital

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just got these back from a JLC3DP online order. They are custom 6” aluminum bulkheads (3/16” thick). It is crazy how easy and cheap this has become. I just uploaded a step file and they milled them and anodized them for dirt cheap. These range from $10 to $18 each. Very good quality and an easy order process.

IMG_5962.jpeg
IMG_5956.jpeg

Very nice.

I just ordered a 7.5" OD cluster thrust plate from sendcutsend, and it was $22 each, not anodized, and just flat laser cut 1/8" aluminum sheet. I'll try your place next time I need one.

Anodizing in a color other than black at those prices is awesome! Really, at all. Most places, you get a fairly hefty lot charge minimum.

Poked around a little. They'll do FR4, which is the same as G10. So they should do fins. No carbon fiber, though. They also do 3D printing.

Last edited:
What is the best open source software folks like for
1) Creating the files to send for milled/drilled/machine stock (reductive fabrication)
2) Creating stuff using 3d printing (additive fabrication)

I guess it would be useful to have a listing of service providers, too.

What’s the lead-time and do those prices include shipping?
From order to doorstep usually runs 8-10 days, sometimes faster. This last order I did had six parts and the standard DHL shipping cost me $34, so about $7/part. I ordered a single machined bulkhead as a test a while back and the part was $15 and shipping $18, so you take a hit on a small order. I use them a lot for custom PCBs and DHL from China to SoCal usually take 2-3 days.

What is the best open source software folks like for
1) Creating the files to send for milled/drilled/machine stock (reductive fabrication)
2) Creating stuff using 3d printing (additive fabrication)

I'm primarily a Mac user, so I use the free/personal version of Fusion 360 for both CNC machining (step, dwg, dfx) as well as 3D printing (stl). But if your parts are simple and you are just getting started I would recommend using something like sketchup. The online version of sketchup is easier to learn and you can export to stl for 3D printing or to DFX and DWG for machining.

I love the guys at send-cut-send, but they are only cutting, drilling, and bending.

For JLC3DP and PCBway in china, I just upload a step file, specify the material and finishes, and they figure out how to make it. JLC3DP seems slightly lower cost than PCBway, but they are both very similar. Unfortunately, there is nothing even close in the USA that competes with the ease and price point of ordering for "one off" or prototype orders. Their 3D printing is also very good and crazy cheap.

They also do laser engraving and silk screening and other services. Below is a photo of a custom machined box/remote top that had to be milled to .1mm specs to slide perfectly over a PCB with switches, buttons, and LEDs sticking up. It also required a very fine 1.5mm step on the sides to slide into an aluminum hammond project box. They machined it, anodized it, and silk screened it for $40 and it fit perfect. amazing!

IMG_5958 2.JPG IMG_5959.JPG

was there some trick to uploading files to their website? im trying to upload a stl file for a fin can i would like 3d printed and it keeps telling me there is an error

was there some trick to uploading files to their website? im trying to upload a stl file for a fin can i would like 3d printed and it keeps telling me there is an error
Same story for me for STL files. Other printing services (craftcloud, for example) read the same file just fine.

Same story for me for STL files. Other printing services (craftcloud, for example) read the same file just fine.
I was looking at a couple other that worked for me and it’s looking like it’ll just be cheaper for me to get the max q aluminum fin can than it would be to get my design printed in nylon12

I have been milling my own parts for years and, I have to admit, I don't think I can buy the raw materials anymore for those prices. Prices for aluminum and FG sheets/plate/bar have pretty much doubled since the beginning of COVID. As much as I love making my own parts, it may be time to explore these online services. And I can't anodize my own parts! Great tip, thanks

Fiberglass is not that hard to lay up, and would be less expensive if you were making a number of parts, but it's certainly more work. Or carbon fiber over plywood, which would outperform the aluminum in some ways and still be cheaper than the appalling aluminum and fiberglass sheet prices I just saw. Might be feasible just to design in plywood. Maybe MDO or with phenolic overlay, if you found someone to sell you a reasonably sized piece. You could get enough 3/8" MDO for over 100 6 inch discs for $110. 128 with no kerf. MDO would end up prettier than regular ply, with a more durable surface.

Just got these back from a JLC3DP online order. They are custom 6” aluminum bulkheads (3/16” thick). It is crazy how easy and cheap this has become. I just uploaded a step file and they milled them and anodized them for dirt cheap. These range from $10 to $18 each. Very good quality and an easy order process.

View attachment 645290
View attachment 645289
Care to share the step files? I'd love to have some for my Swarm clone.

Fiberglass is not that hard to lay up, and would be less expensive if you were making a number of parts, but it's certainly more work. Or carbon fiber over plywood, which would outperform the aluminum in some ways and still be cheaper than the appalling aluminum and fiberglass sheet prices I just saw. Might be feasible just to design in plywood. Maybe MDO or with phenolic overlay, if you found someone to sell you a reasonably sized piece. You could get enough 3/8" MDO for over 100 6 inch discs for $110. 128 with no kerf. MDO would end up prettier than regular ply, with a more durable surface.

Recently got out of the machining business myself. The parts I used to make are outsourced to PCBway. Good quality at a comparable cost. Makes more sense to let someone else do the work.

Care to share the step files? I'd love to have some for my Swarm clone.
Here are two versions of a 6" aluminum bulkhead for a basic avionics bay. Both have a lid top edge to seat perfectly inside the coupler. The first file ("basic") just has two holes for 1/4" threaded rod spaced 3.5" apart. The second file has u-bolt holes (5/16" 1.5" ID u-bolt), holes for Rocket Junkies charge wells, and holes for terminal screws and wires (amazon https://a.co/d/iVCJmaA). If you don't have any CAD experience you can view these in Autodesk's free online step file viewer. Upload to JLC3DP or PCBway and have them in a few weeks. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Six Inch Bulkhead basic.step
    10.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Six Inch Bulkhead full.step
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
Here are two versions of a 6" aluminum bulkhead for a basic avionics bay. Both have a lid top edge to seat perfectly inside the coupler. The first file ("basic") just has two holes for 1/4" threaded rod spaced 3.5" apart. The second file has u-bolt holes (5/16" 1.5" ID u-bolt), holes for Rocket Junkies charge wells, and holes for terminal screws and wires (amazon https://a.co/d/iVCJmaA). If you don't have any CAD experience you can view these in Autodesk's free online step file viewer. Upload to JLC3DP or PCBway and have them in a few weeks. Enjoy!
Thanks!

Back