Balsa cones.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caynnor

Reaction score
I could really use some tips on sanding and finishing a balsa wood nose cones.

I use one of two ways:

1) The non-smelly option - Sand cone with 400 grit sand paper (if very rough, use 240 grit, then 400). Brush on diluted Elmers Fill N Finish (Dilute with water until consistency is about that of thick paint). Sand smooth. 3 coats of primer, sanding with 400 grit in between, followed by a couple of coats of paint.

2) The smelly option - Sand cone with 400 grit sand paper (if very rough, use 240 grit, then 400). Brush on a coat of Aero Gloss sanding sealer, let dry for 45 minutes, then sand with 400 grit. Brush on 3 more coats of sealer, letting dry for 15 minutes between each coat. Wait 45 minutes after last coat, then sand with 400 grit. Follow with three more coats of sealer as above. After sealer has dried for a day or so, sand with 400 grit, and apply 3 coats of primer, sanding with 400 grit in between. Then apply paint.

This works very well for me.

Here's my method, I'm sure there are many:

Coat with a healthy coat of Elmer's fill-n-finish.

Sand with 320 grit. Be careful not to get into the wood.

Re-fill the any low spots.

Sand.

Spray 2-3 healthy coats of gray Duplicolor high build primer.

Sand gently with 400 grit to smooth.

Spray with White duplicolor primer.

Wet sand off the white to find any remaining low spots. (600 grit)

Re-spray with gray if there are low spots. (repeat until satisfied)

Wet sand with 800 grit.

Apply color coats.

Clear coat.

Wet sand with 1200 grit to remove "orange peel".

Wet sand with 2000 grit.

Polish with Mequires #2.

View attachment 238113

OR, just paint the blasted thing and not be afraid to fly it. :rotflol:

Thanks for the tips, since this is my first mid powered rocket I'm going to give a good try at finishing it but no matter how it comes out I'm flying it on the 10th.

I like the smelly option for nose cones. I usually paint on two coats of sanding sealer to start, about 30 mins apart in time, then sand with 400 grit. I will then put another 2-4 coats on, also at 30 min intervals, sanding between as well. Once done, I let it dry overnight, and put one more coat on the following day in case there was any overnight shrinkage, and do my final sanding. Of course, a single coat of primer will hide any blems that may have made it through to this point.

I once tried Fill and Finish on a nose cone, and the stuff was so thick I could never get the cone to come even close to being balanced again. Maybe I didn't thin it enough.

Here's my method, I'm sure there are many:
Coat with a healthy coat of Elmer's fill-n-finish.
Sand with 320 grit. Be careful not to get into the wood.
Re-fill the any low spots.
Sand.
Spray 2-3 healthy coats of gray Duplicolor high build primer.
Sand gently with 400 grit to smooth.
Spray with White duplicolor primer.
Wet sand off the white to find any remaining low spots. (600 grit)
Re-spray with gray if there are low spots. (repeat until satisfied)
Wet sand with 800 grit.
Apply color coats.
Clear coat.
Wet sand with 1200 grit to remove "orange peel".
Wet sand with 2000 grit.
Polish with Mequires #2.
View attachment 51887

OR, just paint the blasted thing and not be afraid to fly it. :rotflol:
Oh my goodness! Shiniest nosecone I have ever seen!

I use this method which works for me...boy there are a lot of methods...

Harden the balsa with thin CA. Let it dry for a couple minutes. Sand with 400 grit to smooth a bit. Feel to make sure there are not any bumps left from the CA. Mix a 50/50 mixture of wood filler to water (I use Elmers Carpenters' Wood Filler). Blob on a coat of this and allow to dry completely. Sand smooth with 400 grit sandpaper. You may have to sand some areas to the balsa to get a uniform surface. Repeat wood filler as necessary to achieve a smooth coat of filler without any balsa showing. Prime with your favorite primer, paint, and enjoy!

I used this method on my Semroc Golden Scout and got great results with it. It took approx. 1 hour to complete minus painting.

Good luck!

While on the subject of AeroGloss balsa filler - what do you all use to clean your brushes? Something cheaper than the aerogloss cleaner.

Back