Baking Soda fillets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
I get a little newsletter from Tower Hobbies every few weeks. One of the Helpful Hints suggested that for a good, strong joint, baking soda can be put along an area(root of fin?) and smoothed with a finger or appropriate tool. Then thin CA can be dropped along the soda.

According to the individual who sent the suggestion, it dries into a strong, hard joint.

Has anyone tried this for a fin joint? I imagine the suggestion had to do with airplane constuction, but I thought it might work with rocketry.

similar but not exactly the same... I've used featherweight spackle to do the same thing. You can get it in any of the home improvement stores and if you pick up the can and it feels empty...thats the one. I use that over baking soda because it already has a binder in it. I put in on, shape it and then let it dry for a few hours. I then drip some thin CA on it and after about 30 minutes it is rock hard and strong. I don't use it to make a strength fillet, but only for a smooth transition from fin to BT.

-Aaron

Back