BaddAzz Rocktery's "Das Blitzzkrieg" Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric1

BaddAzz Rocketry
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just getting this going!
Gonna show how and where but not actually Epoxy this together.
This could be your next kit!!!:D

Overview of Kit!!

DSC_2260-1.jpg

Pretty easy,

Sand and clean (with Soft scrub cleanser) the marked off areas.

Dry Nosecone and shoulder ,Apply well mixed Loctite plastic epoxy (Walmart)
Slide together. To ensure a nice fit you can use payload bay to check glue seam for flatness. Just be sure to wipe off excess epoxy.

DSC_2270-1.jpg

DSC_2271-1.jpg

DSC_2279-1.jpg

DSC_2273-1.jpg

DSC_2274-1.jpg

Listen Ya'll, I'm sorry for the blurry shots. I got a little rushed because I had to get this up tonight.

Next apply JB Weld to Nosecone bulkplate. Press into place.
Hope the design pleases. I wanted versatility here. Drop in tracker, remove old shear pins, whatever.

DSC_2278-1.jpg

I know moving quickly, but you Guys have already started!!!

Locate Av bay componets.

For and aft bulkhead. 6-32 threaded rod.
4 charge ejection tubes.

Only one bulk head threaded run threaded rod through till you have 5/16" inch prutuding out other side.

Secure with 2 of the charge canisters.
Large piece of White plastic is for your sled!

DSC_2252-1.jpg

DSC_2284-1.jpg

DSC_2288-1.jpg

DSC_2290-1.jpg

Okay fit other end and mark threaded rod 5/16" out.
Trim to length.
Secure with other 2 Charge cans.

DSC_2293-1.jpg

Last edited:
This is how I do it,
If you want to add a cable, Go for it!
You really can't build this BaddAzz Byrd Wrong!!!

Wet the fray of the Kevlar with Medium CA,
Rub it in, spray with accelarator.
Cut at an acute angle.

DSC_2347-1.jpg

DSC_2348-1.jpg

DSC_2350-1.jpg

Last edited:
Put a small allen wrench through any two holes, this acts as a stop.

Mark face of 3 fin hole pattern. Align with holes press down till you hit the allen. remove allen and gently bump rin into place. use a small phillips head screwdriver to center up the hole pattern. Install two 8-32 button head screws and one of the rail buttons on this ring.

DSC_2357-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_2356-1.jpg
    DSC_2356-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 20
I would have never thought that you could weave that kevlar through those holes :y:... nice, thats what i get for rushing lol

I would have never thought that you could weave that kevlar through those holes :y:... nice, thats what i get for rushing lol

It's Cool, This is tubular Kevlar, It forms flat when they wind it on spools!
Heck I ain't against your method !! If it works why complain.:wink:

With this, I close for the night. My knees are hurting and I need to rest my mind before bed.
Good Night Everyone! Say Your Prayers!!!

Peace Love And Happiness

Eric Foster

Last edited:
Let's get to work on the aft section.

First install aft centering ring. Same technique, Allen wrench as stop , Line up holes and push into cavity. Secure with three 8-32 button head screws.

I had to use prototype shot of this (100_1388a) it was much more clearer than any others. I want you to notice ring orientation, flange to front Please.

DSC_2297-1.jpg

DSC_2295-1.jpg

DSC_2298-1.jpg

100_1388a.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_2357-1.jpg
    DSC_2357-1.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 20
This is probably a stupid question that has probably been answered before but: has the PVC body tube been modified or is it compatible with the PVC pipes at hardware stores?

This is probably a stupid question that has probably been answered before but: has the PVC body tube been modified or is it compatible with the PVC pipes at hardware stores?

It has a larger ID, as it has been hollowed out to make it lighter. That reminds me, gotta go put fillets on my Defender.

Lets look at wedge (popsicle stick) Sand as shown, a Taper across entry side also helps, Cut them from 3/4" (loose fit) to 7/8" Long(tighter fit) . You'll see this in the last Frame Very Clearly!

Check fin fit, Material varies quite a bit (+/- 0.01") so the slot on tube are cut to nominal .125". This will most likely have you sanding and filing the fit. Notice the fin in first shot where I'm sanding the wedge stick. This is the shape you want. Tapered entry to allow for radial grooves in body tube.

Tip: A dremel sanding drum works great on fin material. That said, Before you start, rubb down hands and forearms with baby powder. This will fill the pores in your skin and you won't itch as bad from the glass. Gloves and dust mask recommended also!!

You may also open the groove up a bit , But don't over do it!! That will mess up the fin alignment and the two fins will not be in line. Whatever you do to the front slot you must match up to the rear.

DSC_2324-1.jpg

DSC_2309-1.jpg

DSC_2313-1.jpg

DSC_2315-1.jpg

DSC_2333-1.jpg

Tip 2:

As you install the wedges, I recommend "freezzing" them in place with a drop of medium ca. apply this with a bamboo skewer or a sharpened chop stick. Just a drop on the wedge and fin tab. Spray CA accellorater to set.

Please do not fill in entire fin tab with wedge stock. You will get a stronger bond by allowing epoxy to flow in and through the slot!:wink:

No photos for this, It's self explanatory.:cool:

Shot of last wedge installed.

Check alignment visually, Plumb and square. Ok, grab the epoxy!

Now, mix up a quarter size amout of Loctite Plastic epoxy. stir really well!
You have seven minutes before it starts to set. Using bamboo skewer apply epoxy to the forward and rear fin tabs on one set at a time!

Do not touch for twenty minutes.

I said do not touch it!! Let it do it's thing!!!!

Please be careful not to get any epoxy rear of the last tab. If you do your Motor retainer will Not Fit!!!!!

DSC_2337-1.jpg

DSC_2335-1.jpg

Last edited:
All epoxied up and ready for the motor retainer!

Good Deal!

Locate holes for three fin pattern. Line up holes slide'r in. Two more 8-32 button head screws and the other rail guide!

Rail Guides perform best if they line up with each other.:2:
Failure to install correctly will cause Loud Obnoxciuos Laughter at flight Line!!:point::lol::rofl:

DSC_2339-1.jpg

DSC_2345-1.jpg

Questions or comments at this point? Post away.

I know parts of this style of build are not what you are use to. It does get easier to do once you have a build or two under you belt. At this point I find this method much quicker and far more simple than through fin attachment to a motor tube, Plus foam and all that old tired Method. Both work, I find this So much faster and as strong. If I didn't belive in it I would not base my L3 on these principles.

Thanks for Your input!

Eric Foster

Eric,

a very well thought out kit..... just ordered one for my L1 cert.......

Barry

Thank you for your order!

I'm excited to be part of your L1 pursuit!:D

Rock On My Kodiak Cousin!!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Welcome to the Upper Echelon!! BADDAZZ STYLE!!!!

Eric Foster

Questions or comments at this point? Post away.

OK, I'll go first... Do you find the Loctite Plastic Epoxy to be that critical for the fin joint? Would a normal high quality epoxy with milled fiberglass additive work? Just hate to go out and buy a tube of something I'll likely never use again.

OK, I'll go first... Do you find the Loctite Plastic Epoxy to be that critical for the fin joint? Would a normal high quality epoxy with milled fiberglass additive work? Just hate to go out and buy a tube of something I'll likely never use again.

Very Good Question! I have not tested it on PVC. I know PVC is a tricky Bugger when trying to bond. I know the Loctite product works and a dual syringe is only a sawbuck at Wallyworld. If you try the epoxy/glass route please share the outcome. I would test this before I made fillets though.

What do you mean You'll NEVER use it again!!!!! Please tell me this is not your Last BaddAzz Kit!!!:D

Eric Foster

I love looking at your builds Eric ,very cool ! I also like looking at the parts you make for this and the other kits...freek`n top notch stuff :cheers:

As soon as the VISA gets paid down ,I`ll have to check out one of your kits.Until then ,I`ll keep watching the builds here on the forums.

Congratulations on a job well done !

Paul T

I love looking at your builds Eric ,very cool ! I also like looking at the parts you make for this and the other kits...freek`n top notch stuff :cheers:

As soon as the VISA gets paid down ,I`ll have to check out one of your kits.Until then ,I`ll keep watching the builds here on the forums.

Congratulations on a job well done !

Paul T

Thanks Paul!

Are my Canadian Brothers gettin mail yet? I had another gent want a kit shipped to Saskatoon, I went to post office and they told me your postal service was on strike. Only way to ship was an express delivery at $55. bucks.

What's up Eh

ERic Foster

Thanks Paul!

Are my Canadian Brothers gettin mail yet? I had another gent want a kit shipped to Saskatoon, I went to post office and they told me your postal service was on strike. Only way to ship was an express delivery at $55. bucks.

What's up Eh

ERic Foster

Yah, they went back to work a couple of days ago ,but now the backlog has to be taken care of ,not to mention all the stuff held up in Canada customs.It`s going to be awhile I would guess before those shipments get sorted out.....too bloody bad !

Good thing I don`t get my beer and back bacon in the mail ,I`d be pooched !

Bunch of hosers eh !

Paul T

Would love to know how you did the paint job on the RED DasBLITZZKRIEG on your web page....

I just got my kit and I have to say it really is a great rocket. Eric you have included so much in the package that is also a great value. I would recommend it to anyone who wants a unique rocket that is built like a tank. :headbang:

I am waiting for the Miss Rhonda to come out. Eric what type of paint works well on PVC. I am mostly a rattle can painter. Very nice kits.

Latest posts

Back