AT RMS newbie question: Insulator tube burn through?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Took my shiny new 24/40 case out for a test drive this past weekend. Did 3 flights, all went well.

The last flight was on an F39T. (These have a C-slot) The insulator sleeve was a very loose fit in the tube, actually rattled around (width/diameter wise, not length wise) before tightening the closures. It burned a slot completely through for much of the length of the insulator. Didn't scar the tube, however. Toothpick is for reference, I wasn't planning on serving as an hors d'oeuvre.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Hans.

F39BurnThrough.jpg

So... Given that the insulator was nearly a millimeter smaller than the aluminum case, should I have wrapped it with tape? Would masking tape ended up being a gooey mess if I had?

Hans.

So... Given that the insulator was nearly a millimeter smaller than the aluminum case, should I have wrapped it with tape? Would masking tape ended up being a gooey mess if I had?

Hans.
Yes wrapping with tape works, sometimes liners are the opposite and too tight, in that case peel a layer of paper off the outside of the liner till it fits.

My first reload use....

Seems like the casing gets seasoned like a cast iron pan. First use, very lightly smeared some Superlube in the tube, forward closure. Took a bit of cleaning, especially the forward closure. Second time, cleaning seemed easier. Then the 3rd time, everything slid out and looked brand new.

Now that's it's seasoned, time to cook scrambled eggs inside.

Hans.

Unless the instructions specifically say to do so I would not wrap with tape.
Agreed. It will turn into a gooey mess at least. I would use a layer of lube at the top and bottom of the space between the liner and the case. And be sure to make the whole outside of the liner shiny with lube. Don't use too much, just enough make the liner shiny. Be absolutely sure to keep the lube away from the delay element and ejection charge, as well as the fuel grain.

Back