ARTS 2 Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyril's Scribe

Reaction score
Hello again, after launching at LDRS XXXI and having to borrow two altimeters from friends of ours that did not fly, me and my father would like to get our small fleet of altimeters back into shape. We have on of the original ARTS2 altimeters and unfortunately at one point a resistor was hit with a drill bit and it summarily flew off into the Maryland grass, never to be seen again. Does anyone on the forum have either the schematic for the ARTS2 or can provide the parts number to the resistor so that we can replace it? The break was clean and all it looks like we need is a new resistor. Thanks much to all.

Last edited:
Be aware this is an ARTS2, could one of the admin please change the title to ARTS2 repair? Or chide me on how I should do it, thanks.

i dont see a normal style resistor on my ARTS2 however here is a picture of it

DSCF4343.jpg

Will post a photo soon, the part that is missing is the component between and above "pbat" and "bat".

The missing component is the one directly above the -BAT+ terminals in the picture. It's to the right of the one marked 9R1. Are there any marking on that device that would help identify it?

Thanks,

Joe

The missing component is the one directly above the -BAT+ terminals in the picture. It's to the right of the one marked 9R1. Are there any marking on that device that would help identify it?

Thanks,

Joe

Above is the owner of the ARTS2 so not a troll, thanks for everyone's help

Ls2 is what it is marked. same as the one on the otherside of 9R1

My guess is these are Diodes. To prevent damage from revesed battery polarity.

I dont know what the specification is on that my guess is its a 20v diode. Maybe https://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds30517.pdf

your going to have a time of it trying to match up from the LS2...

The only thing this does, is protect your board from surges, and reverse poliarity. if you swap it out just make sure you put the board through some ground testing. Rigorous......

Here is a picture of the damaged ARTS 2, again thanks for your help. The 20 V protection diode seems reasonable, we may have to track down the schematics for this one. I seem to remember someone on this forum, or on Rocketry Planet mentioning they had a copy of the electrical schematics.

ARTS2.jpg

Rocketry science is the subject of expertise. Once it is going to be launched, the team shall be prepared with all its equipment of repair, damage control and all.
This is a compulsion when you are involve with such kind of mission.

That's not your only problem. There's a chunk out of the tantalum capacitor - the gold thing to the right of the beeper. (Upper right corner)

That's not your only problem. There's a chunk out of the tantalum capacitor - the gold thing to the right of the beeper. (Upper right corner)

Fortunately we already knew about that, and I was going to ask about it, I believe that is part of the RF system that we are not using? It booted and gave the correct beep codes, but it would more than likely be a good idea to get it replaced.

Just wanted to sign-in and thank everyone for their help, we sent the altimeters to Jim Amos of MissileWorks for surface mount work and this information should hopefully lead to them being successfully repaired. Thanks again, oh and if anyone knows the value of the tantalum capacitor it would be much appreciated.

22mfd / 25V / TantC
Planning on using a 15MQ040 Schottky SMA package to replace the missing diode (40V/3A).
Can't tell what diode was used originally, but it's a very low profile package.

Back