Art Applewhite Rockets - Qubit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket877

Reaction score
A new type of rocket kit called a Qubit is now available as a kit from Art Applewhite Rockets. Qubits are rockets which are cube shaped with a corner pointing up. They fly using commercial model rocket motors and come in a range of sizes and colors.

They are amazingly stable, fly higher than you would expect and land close to the pad. They construction is simple but challenging.

In addition to the Qubit, there is the Stealth, inspired by the B2 bomber and F117 Stealth Fighter and the Scimitar, a graceful mix of curves and angles.

You have to see these rockets is action to fully appreciate their dramatic impact. A 13mm version of the Qubit is available for download for free.
allqubits.jpg

Those are really neat, Art. You keep pushing the limits on no-parachute recovery designs.

Time to check the credit card limit.....

Interesting looking designs. I think Jim said it best on one of the forums, "Not everything in Low Power rocketry has been done yet." (Or something to that effect.) I suppose this qualifies as "new" and "unique." Very neat!

Doh!!

Sorry about that. It seems my web host is very picky about the difference between upper and lower case letters in file names. Try it now. Don't forget to hit the refresh button.

You can't expect me to get it right every time, webpages aren't rocket science. :)

Art,

Incredibly creative :) I keep telling folks that *model* rocketry still has a WHOLE lot to offer and you just go and prove my point :)

good stuff! keep 'em coming.

jim

Here is what I did with the free download. I am too tired today to give proper attention to a new project, and as usual, there ain't crap on the tube. I decided t oplay with one of Art's Qubits. I did this in about 15 minutes total. The colors were applied in Photoshop Elements. I added a regular 13mm MMT because it seemed easier than using the rolled paper tube.

Originally posted by rbeckey
I added a regular 13mm MMT because it seemed easier than using the rolled paper tube.

It looks like you added a 1/8" launch lug too. Think minimalism.:) I believe a rocket should have only the absolute minimum of parts necessary to fly and recover safely. It should not be overbuilt. Overbuilding makes a rocket too heavy to fly well and too expensive to lose (and a lot of them get lost.) :(

Initially I considered not have a motor mount tube at all, just use the hole in the bottom and the inside of the corner of the top to hold the motor in place. It would've worked too if I didn't have to add the notch for the launch rod. That makes the hole too loose to hold the motor securely. Cardstock does have its limitations.

It should be easy to make a Spaceship Earth or Flames version of the Qubit.:)

Art,
The reason I added a launch lug is because my six and eight year old sons will be putting it on the rod. As you said, cardstock has its limitations! :D Also, I somehow managed to acquire about 20 extra 1/8 inch launch lugs over the years. Maybe they multiply somehow in the parts bin. :p At this point I am looking for a way to use them.

Art,

Way to go with another great design :D :D I've already built a couple of the free 13mm saucers & I agree--there's no need to overbuild this design. Once the glue is dried, this design is surprisingly rigid.

FWIW, I've already had a chance to fly 'em a few times already & even submitted a review to EMRR for the 13mm Qubit. And since my 7.5" 29mm Delta Saucer recently suffered a fatal CATO last weekend, I'll be wanting to replace it...and get my hands on one of the larger Qubit/Scimitar/Stealth rockets ;)

BTW, what's the status on the 18" 54mm Delta Saucer? :confused: Any ideas on the (approximate) cost?

Thanks.

Lance,

There are a few reasons why I haven't introduced the 18", 54mm Delta Saucer.

1. Sales, especially at higher impulse levels, i.e. above 29mm, G motors, are way down.:(

2. The skills required to make a high power rocket are different from those for smaller rockets and I am still learning them. Fiberglassing, yuck! :p

3. The materials in the saucers are different from what the average high power rocket builder is familiar with, i.e. "Gater Flex". :confused:

4. An 18" kit won't fit into the free Priority Mail boxes the Post Office gives me. :)

5. No one around here (Texas) has the least interest in large flying saucers. :(

6. It is easier, quicker and cheaper to design, build and test small rockets. :)

When I finally get off my duff and make a kit, it would cost about $75 and fly on I, J & K, 54mm motors. A 38mm adapter would also be offered. It would require fiberglassing, the cloth but not the resin would be provided.

Right now I am working on Micro Maxx and 18mm versions of the Qubit. The problem is there are no plugged motors in these sizes. I may also offer a 38mm version of the Qubit that can take up to a H impulse motor such as Cesaroni Pro38,1&2 grain, Ellis Mountain H48 or Aerotech RMS 38/240. Stealth and Scimitar versions will be offered at the same time.

Today's cardstock rocket day for me. I have a Qubit built with a launch lug to space the LL hole (it was a bit too small how i cut it). Now I am going to Art's page to get another free rocket.

I just couldn't resist it.
It's been raining here all weekend, so I've been building.

This paper qubitz is just great. Easy to build and another one the kids can build. I can't wait to fly them.

Well the size and shape was just begging for this:
I call it, what else, the Rubiks Qubitz.
Here it is beside a Rubiks Cube.

Tim

And here is the Rubiks Qubitz after I solved it. Just a turn here, a twist there, and voila. :D
Next to it is a Stealth, which is also paper, but copied from Art's design.

I've had so much fun with these, I fill I should be paying Art for just the design and free download. I guess I'll have to order a Qubitz kit and maybe a saucer.

Tim

Tim,

How did you manage to make the 13mm Stealth? I haven't sold any yet.:confused:

Sorry, I just couldn't wait. :)

I took your free download, and drew it in AutoCAD so that I could make the colored ones with perfect lines and divisions.
Then I looked at your pic of the stealth again and thought I'd give it a try. I just modified the drawing to resemble your pic.
It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be either. In fact, it's probably easier to just make a square one, then cut the notches out after assembly.
Rather than printing all that black, I just built it white then colored it with a sharpie, so it really doesn't look as good as the pic. The pic helped hide the lines from the marker.

I hope you don't mind.
As I said before, I've had so much fun with these, I feel I should be paying for them.
Don't worry about the drawings I've created. I wouldn't share them without your permission.

Tim

I have added an 18mm version of the Qubit to my website. It has an open ended motor mount to allow the ejection charge blast to escape without burning a hole through the nose of the rocket. It also include a motor hook since almost all 18mm motors are 2.75 inches long. It doesn't look quite as cool as my other Qubits but it flies really well. There are 18mm versions of the Stealth and Scimitar also.
qubit18mm.jpg

Not only do they impart considerable spin, they also stiffen the cardstock, making the trainling edges less floppy.:)

Here is a variation on the 13mm Qubit you might find interesting.:)
bqubit2.jpg

"Resistance is futile"

Blue Ninja,

Go ahead and order a 18mm Qubit? You will get it in 3 days max and I guarantee it won't be on your "In progress" list for long. It can be completed in the time it takes the paint to dry on any of those other rockets. ;)

I have both the Stealth and Scimitar 24mm versions. They are just awesome. They fly very nicely on the Estes E9-P motors but watch what happens when you stick an Aerotech E30T in them. BOOM!!! Outta here in no time!!!

Just be sure to remove the ejection charge and plug the touch hole. I use a small piece of recovery wadding and tape. I would also have to reccommend the short delay to allow the delay element to burn itself out before the rocket hits the ground.

I've also got some D15T's, E18W's, an F12J and some F24W's. These should be fun also.

Back