Armed Pirates at BALLS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(Kinda) back to the original topic:

Off-playa landings at the Black Rock are always a mystery, because the trails are difficult to find. And they aren't marked on the topo maps, either.

We spend a lot of time off-road riding in the area. Actually, we spend more time off-roading than launching rockets, when it comes to the Black Rock Desert.

BlackRock1.jpg

Since we use GPS, we record every trail. I've collected all our data into maps that can be loaded onto a Garmin GPS unit. I've made these maps available to anyone that wants them. Although I have a ton of work into them, they're free as a gift to the community. You can find them here: Northern Nevada GPS Trail Maps

Here's hoping it makes your next off-the-playa recovery easier!

All the best, James

(Kinda) back to the original topic:

Off-playa landings at the Black Rock are always a mystery, because the trails are difficult to find. And they aren't marked on the topo maps, either.

We spend a lot of time off-road riding in the area. Actually, we spend more time off-roading than launching rockets, when it comes to the Black Rock Desert.

BlackRock1.jpg

Since we use GPS, we record every trail. I've collected all our data into maps that can be loaded onto a Garmin GPS unit. I've made these maps available to anyone that wants them. Although I have a ton of work into them, they're free as a gift to the community. You can find them here: Northern Nevada GPS Trail Maps

Here's hoping it makes your next off-the-playa recovery easier!

All the best, James

That's some beautiful Terrain. Almost Mars like.

:rant:If someone was shooting a surface to surface missile into my campsite I might have taken more guns with me when I went to see them:rant:

Last edited:
That project belonged to Neil Anderson and Steve Cutonilli.

This isn't unheard of - back on the East Coast there's several sites with landowners that require a ransom if a rocket lands on their property. Greed is really a bummer.

:facepalm:

I would like to say it can be awkward when someone with a firearm is near you. So I understand any confusion with what happened.

Please understand I own many firearms and conceal and open carry often so I am comfortable around guns.

Last edited:
I get it can be weird. It doesn't make someone a pirate.

Yaaaarrrrr!

Say....didn't we already have Talk Like A Pirate Day in September?

The Pirate Name Generator said my new name is "Plank Monkey Hugo".

I kinda like it. I am after all a certified rocket monkey.

Say....didn't we already have Talk Like A Pirate Day in September?

The Pirate Name Generator said my new name is "Plank Monkey Hugo".

I kinda like it. I am after all a certified rocket monkey.

Mine was John "Scoundrel" Mainsail.

For our foreign correspondents, 37 of the American states allow some form of "open carry" of firearms. Nevada where BALLS takes place is such a state. Perfectly legal.

And because of Nevada's rules, those from out of state pretty much would be required to "Open Carry" as Concealed Carry requires a Nevada permit. The permit allows concealment, not the act of carrying.

Back