Arduino altimeter - dual recovery for less than 20 dollar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While waiting for my components to arrive I have been playing with flight recording.
I wrote a simple flight data logger that you can see on my website
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=11&lang=en
you can download the code on my download page
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

I am not too sure when I will be able to fly those because the weither is a bit cold at the moment but should be able to at the end of the month. For the moment I am just using ground test

Note that I also have secured some of my code on GitHub so feel free to contribute
https://github.com/bdureau

cool - I'll have to take a look at this version. I'm probably going to fly the altimeter in "logging" mode if I ever get a chance to assemble it. (work's been crazy lately, haven't had a chance to break out my soldering iron, yet.)

uh yeah - I guess I should read more carefully. the logger is a separate project. taht makes more sense now. :blush:

While waiting for my components to arrive I have been playing with flight recording.
I wrote a simple flight data logger that you can see on my website
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=11&lang=en
you can download the code on my download page
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=2&lang=en

I am not too sure when I will be able to fly those because the weither is a bit cold at the moment but should be able to at the end of the month. For the moment I am just using ground test

Note that I also have secured some of my code on GitHub so feel free to contribute
https://github.com/bdureau

cool - I'll have to take a look at this version. I'm probably going to fly the altimeter in "logging" mode if I ever get a chance to assemble it. (work's been crazy lately, haven't had a chance to break out my soldering iron, yet.)

uh yeah - I guess I should read more carefully. the logger is a separate project. taht makes more sense now. :blush:

Well so far I have done 3 different altimeters with 3 differents processor:
- one with 2 pyro outputs, programable using a USB module and using an ATMega 328 processor
- a little altimeter with 1 pyro output using an ATTiny 85 processor
- a little altimeter with 2 pyro output using an ATTiny 84 processor

The last 2 cannot be programmed easly from your PC, you need to remove the ship.

I will get board done for the last 2 when I get a chance to fly them several time to make sure that they are reliable.

I am now working on another project which will be an on board computer similar to the eggstimer project (looks very promising and I recommand buying one because it is using standards hardware, ie: you do not have to pay for an expensive module to connect it to your computer + you will be able to reprogram it like any Arduino borad....)
https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page10.php

However I thing that I will go for another Atmel processor with more memory even if that mean a bigger board. To be honest size does not really matter in my rockets becuse most of them have a diameter between 80 and 100mm .

Well, I didn't notice that my usb to serial adapter has a different pinout than what the altimeter expects, so I fried the chip when I went to upload the v1.1 code. Not a big deal since I have a few atmega328 chips laying around, and an Arduino (or 4) available to upload the program with. Now I have a chip with 1.0, a chip with 1.1 (beta), and a fried chip (not as tasty as it sounds.)

Now I need a rocket to fly it in. I was thinking about using my Mini DarkStar, but T2 makes the board just barely too tall to fit the coupler/avbay. (Plus the coupler is too short for a battery to fit, too.)

Oh darn. I need to build something bigger, aw shucks... :p

Well, I didn't notice that my usb to serial adapter has a different pinout than what the altimeter expects, so I fried the chip when I went to upload the v1.1 code. Not a big deal since I have a few atmega328 chips laying around, and an Arduino (or 4) available to upload the program with. Now I have a chip with 1.0, a chip with 1.1 (beta), and a fried chip (not as tasty as it sounds.)

Now I need a rocket to fly it in. I was thinking about using my Mini DarkStar, but T2 makes the board just barely too tall to fit the coupler/avbay. (Plus the coupler is too short for a battery to fit, too.)

Oh darn. I need to build something bigger, aw shucks... :p

Yes the problem is none of those USB serial adaptor have the same pine out which is why I labelled it on the board.
Alternatively if you have an arduino uno board you could remove the chip and use it as a programmer.
Having an Arduino Uno board is very handy, this is what use to upload the code on the ATtiny 84 and 85 for the comming up small altimeters.... (I have been flashing over fifty of those this afternoon.....)
Note that I have not had a chance to fly version 1.1 due to the bad weather that we have in Europe so make sure that you have some redondancy or wait until I get a chance to fly it first.

I have not received all my components yet ( I am buying the same components from different places so that I make sure I will have some on time in the future) but for those interested I have few more kits.... this is really for electronics hobbist so if you get one make sure that you have built kits before.
I am building a Java interface for a flight logger and I was wondering if someone with good JAva programming skills could give me a hand with the programming.

Yes the problem is none of those USB serial adaptor have the same pine out which is why I labelled it on the board.
Alternatively if you have an arduino uno board you could remove the chip and use it as a programmer.
Having an Arduino Uno board is very handy, this is what use to upload the code on the ATtiny 84 and 85 for the comming up small altimeters.... (I have been flashing over fifty of those this afternoon.....)
Note that I have not had a chance to fly version 1.1 due to the bad weather that we have in Europe so make sure that you have some redondancy or wait until I get a chance to fly it first.

Yep, I used my Uno board upload the code. The fact that 1.1 has not flown yet has been noted which is why I also have a chip loaded with 1.0. I should be able to fly them at my next club launch (assuming I get a test vehicle set up in time.)

Boris,

I'll give a hand with the java code.

Kevin

I have not received all my components yet ( I am buying the same components from different places so that I make sure I will have some on time in the future) but for those interested I have few more kits.... this is really for electronics hobbist so if you get one make sure that you have built kits before.
I am building a Java interface for a flight logger and I was wondering if someone with good JAva programming skills could give me a hand with the programming.

I would like one or two as well! How many more are left? PM sent as well.

Received my kits today. thank you very much. now i just need to see how well i can solder the little thing together.
first rate board and instructions.

Chuck, how many years you going to take off when you get back to get caught up on the rocketry stuff you have already bought?

Not long. With my Son and Wife, we can build it all in 2 years without taking time off.

completed alt board back.jpgcompleted alt board frt.jpg
completed pictures of board. the instructions were great and easy to follow. i hadn't soldered for years, i think it came out ok though. i've got 2 weeks to get it installed and try it.:clap:

I have successfully flown a dual altimeter based on an attiny 84 processor.
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=10&lang=en
I am waiting for the board to arrive.
This dual altimeter will be smaller: 78mm x23mm. It will be also a kit but I am planning on soldering some for people who are afraid to build a kit.

I'd like to order one of these when you have them available, as well. (I'm not afraid of building the kit version.)

Boris,

Sorry I didn't respond. Yes, I have a serial adapter now but haven't tried flashing the altimeter. I'll pull your github repo. Send me some email and tell me what you want it to do.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin
I will tidy up and put the code on my Github directory this week.
Do you have a USB/serial adapter?
Boris

Latest posts

Back