Anyone Used Paper Mache Techniques For Making Components or FG Molds?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopRamen

SA-5
Reaction score
I know this is likely better suited to the Techniques section, but I wanted maximum exposure, so I'm posting it here, and the Mods can move it if they see fit or get complaints that I dared ask here in the generalized area.
My question is if anyone has ever say, made a shape out of Paper Mache, then used it as a Form for FG Cloth, then sanded away the Paper Mache or something similar?
I know there are other ways, but on a budget, and to get a couple of shapes that I need to make, it feels like this would be a feasible method to at least give a try.

How dare you ask this in the Watering Hole...

I think the Ohio River is now running backwards...

Thanks TopRamen...

Next, you'll probably build a micro-TTW-fiberglassed rocket...

Sheeesh, some people...:facepalm:

I know this is likely better suited to the Techniques section, but I wanted maximum exposure, so I'm posting it here, and the Mods can move it if they see fit or get complaints that I dared ask here in the generalized area.
My question is if anyone has ever say, made a shape out of Paper Mache, then used it as a Form for FG Cloth, then sanded away the Paper Mache or something similar?
I know there are other ways, but on a budget, and to get a couple of shapes that I need to make, it feels like this would be a feasible method to at least give a try.

Problem is you will need a mold to make your paper mache mold, how else would you be able to form a soggy piece of paper?

Problem is you will need a mold to make your paper mache mold, how else would you be able to form a soggy piece of paper?

Yes. I understand that much. I was thinking I'de use the Items that are the right shape that I need, like condiment containers and a plastic water bottle.
In a few circumstances, the paper mache part would simply be covered with glass cloth and used as is.

I guess I'll go ahead and do it and see what happens, which will be fun whether it works well or not.
That is what I'm after anyhow, having some fun. I am getting bored of rocketry and my current building techniques.
If I don't experiment with something new soon, that costs me nothing, I'll burn out.
I'm not going to be able to spend any money on rocket stuff this summer or for the forseeable future as my home and truck need thousands of dollars worth of work.:(
Paper mache can be had for the price of a bag of flour, which I already have a few of. There is a free local newspaper that can be had by the stack.
I'm well aware that there are other proven methods for doing what I want to do.

Last edited:
TR,

It sounds possible, but wouldn't turning foam be an easier option?

Glue layers of foam together with a dowel inserted inside, cut to the general shape, then turn on a lathe (or electric drill) to get your final shape. After FG, you can keep it solid, or use a solvent to dissolve the foam.

[EDIT] I now see your answer... you were just faster at typing that I was at asking.

I am going to make a scale model of the Viper GBU44E as a non-flying display piece to hang on the ceiling with one of my security cameras hidden in the nose pod.:)
I don't want to waste my flyable materials used for building save for maybe some BT-80 tubes which I have an abundance of.
Making the nose pod out of PM and water bottles would be ideal.

I read a little bit about paper mache online, and it seemed like an idea worth discussing here to see if it has any use in the hobby for flyable rockets.
It would be fun to work with, as I used to use it when I was a kid to make Holloween costumes. You can inflate a balloon, then paper mache it. When the PM is hardened, you poke a hole in it which pops the balloon, then you cut holes out for your head to go inside and it makes a great mask.:)

I am going to make a scale model of the Viper GBU44E as a non-flying display piece to hang on the ceiling with one of my security cameras hidden in the nose pod.:)
I don't want to waste my flyable materials used for building save for maybe some BT-80 tubes which I have an abundance of.
Making the nose pod out of PM and water bottles would be ideal.

I read a little bit about paper mache online, and it seemed like an idea worth discussing here to see if it has any use in the hobby for flyable rockets.
It would be fun to work with, as I used to use it when I was a kid to make Holloween costumes. You can inflate a balloon, then paper mache it. When the PM is hardened, you poke a hole in it which pops the balloon, then you cut holes out for your head to go inside and it makes a great mask.:)

The Balloon and Paper Mache to make a mask is exactly how I remember doing it in 1983 or 1984 in my 7th grade art class.

However I can almost see making a paper mache with CA and paper, it would be a long process as the paper would have to be put on wet to conform allowed to dry and then soaked with CA.

Several years ago I made a rocket entirely from paper mache. The body was newspaper wrapped around a dowel I had turned to the correct diameter (OK, not *exactly* paper mache). I fit the body (once dry) on an appropriately-sized funnel, and covered it in more newspaper bits soaked in thinned yellow glue (real paper mache this time). Since I had done this with the comic section of the paper, once all was dried, I shot it with several coats of clear. I was going to make a paper mache molded nosecone, but got lazy and wanted to fly. The body tube was sized 24mm, and flew very well on some of the lower-power RMS loads. It flew well, straight up, on an SU F motor, but the wind caught it and it went away...

For paper mache we used to use a liquid starch that was blue ( same stuff I used in the military to starch my BDU's) Stay-Flo was the brand. For PM we used it straight from the bottle, a lot less messy and about the same money.

For paper mache we used to use a liquid starch that was blue ( same stuff I used in the military to starch my BDU's) Stay-Flo was the brand. For PM we used it straight from the bottle, a lot less messy and about the same money.

Starch is GOOD!!!

Last edited:
If you are going to use paper mâché for an odd smaller part or two, you could back up the last layer of paper with a layer of cotton cloth and wood glue to toughen it up and make it less fragile in a thin section.

As far as making small fiberglass molds, a very cheap and much better technique than paper mâché would be to use plaster of Paris. If you google fiberglass molds and plaster of Paris, you will find a lot of hints and procedures.

Yes, I have done paper mache (or mâché if you will) to fabricate a nose cone that was subsequently covered with fiberglass. Results were OK. For a NC I would rather just turn some foam. If I were doing a crazy Hornet Driver style rocket that I felt needed glassing, I would hit it up with a little paper mache.
-Ken

Back