Anyone in Vancouver, BC...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastCargo

Reaction score
For some who don't know, I'm married to a Canadian, and just about every August, we take the family up to Vancouver for vacation (well, that and to visit the in laws and her friends).

My sister in law has expressed an interest in me bringing up some of my model rockets (I assume the kids are interested).

My question (besides the obvious 'Don't transport engines') is about rules and locations.

Basically, what are the 'gotchas' for launching LPR in Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver general area? Anyplace in particular to go launch? Any wrinkles a US citizen might need to know? Local area rocket clubs I can consult?

FC

I'd love to see the answers to this as I go to Chilliwack BC twice a year for electric RC flying and would love to hook up with some rocket folks as well.

I have taken small quantities of motors across the border on several of my recent trips (my daughter and son-in-law also used to be in BC) and they have not been an issue going either way....nor have they been discussed.

Where are you coming from? There's a big launch the last full weekend in August on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state - info here: https://4hrockets.blogspot.com/

I will be there on Friday and then going to Chilliwack for the rest of the weekend, so will have both planes and rockets with me. It went fine last year when I did the same thing.

...My question (besides the obvious 'Don't transport engines') ...
you can import motors into Canada as long as they are approved
https://www2.nrcan-rncan.gc.ca/mms/lae-lea/index.cfm?lang=eng

and you are limited to 6 motors.
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/mms-smm/expl-expl/imp-imp-eng.htm

..Basically, what are the 'gotchas' for launching LPR in Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver general area? Anyplace in particular to go launch? Any wrinkles a US citizen might need to know? Local area rocket clubs I can consult?

FC
you need permission of the land owner and local rules will apply which will change from location to location.

Your best bet would be the British Columbia Club. There are a couple in Alberta if you are traveling.
https://www.canadianrocketry.org/car_clubs.php

High power is a different ballgame and more rules will apply.

I lived in Van about 10 years ago. I did a little LPR when I was there.. Where exactly you gonna be?

The soccer & feilds out by UBC was a preffered choice, or so i was told. (Never got out there, too far!) But there was a story that someone launched a few from there. Problem is, is that on certain days, that's right along the approch to Vancouver International, and some 'foreign' arrival called the tower to state they were being shot at..

I lived in the Mt. Pleasent area (Commercial & Broadway), and there is a failry decent park there, Trout lake (John Hendry park) - Victoria & 16th about.. Other than that, not much.. like any other city. Other parks are all wooded areas, soccer & baseball pitches, or farm fields.

Ther is also 'New Brighton Park', on the inlet just west of the 2nd narrows bridge (Hiway 1). Never tried, but looks dooable, as it was being built when I left..

You might get some space in & about Surrey, as there is a lot of farming out there.. same with Chilliwack, but that's a drive! I don't remember anything viable in Burnaby.. And, don't even think of trying in Stanley park!!

As far as i know, you shouldn't have any problems laucnhing, except the usual "hey that's cool, what is it? how much? Where can I get some?' quesitons..

Thanks for the info folks...and for clarification, I was planning to fly up to Vancouver, so taking BP motors on an airliner is right out!

Also, my wife hit upon the idea of bringing a few kits and building them there vs lugging around my completed rockets to minimize the chance of damage. I may go with that idea...

FC

Don't forget the shopping on Robson, and the walk along Granville street. Get out to Grandville market on Grandville Island (under the Grandville street bridge). Walk Commercial, between Broadway & Venebles. Alternaitve style shops & stores..

get out to 'The Eatery' on west broadway if you're into Sushi!

https://www.theeatery.ca/

Get out to the Lynn Canyon suspension & save yourself the entry fee & crowds that is "the Capilano suspension bridge". Also has many 'nature' trails to walk along. Mucho better in my opinion..

Drive up the 'Sea to Sky' highway (#99) to Squamish & hike 'The Chief'. A good day's hike! or, a gruelling climb if you're into rock climbing..

https://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/stawamus/

Not sure how close Langley, BC is to Vancouver... but if it's reasonable, that's where Coast Rocketry is located. Greg & Sue are good folks!

Langley is fairly close if I remember...we spent a weekend there back when were dating.

FC

Well, since we mostly stayed in West Vancouver, we limited our rocket launches to that area (though I was in Stanley Park for a day and it would have been awesome to launch there). Various stories (and some pics/video) abound of the launch of a Pop-Fly, flying a Viking on a B motor (WAY over engined for the field), going from kit to flying a fully finished Stormcaster (including filling, sanding, and painting) in 6 hours using traditional materials (white glue), and miscellanous other things.

But, most importantly, one of my nephews has picked up the rocketry bug, big time. We totally emptyed the local hobby store of all it's selection of 1/2As and As, and even a few packs of Bs. His first rocket was a Wizard, heavily modified with his own fin pattern made out of cardstock. Much instruction was given to keep him safe, legal, and smart.

Anyway, because of this, he's now looking at buying rocket engines in bulk. For the Canadian members of the forum, where do you go for the best prices of bulk packs?

FC

Hi there, is anyone here still in the Vancouver area? We're looking for a place in the lower mainland to launch a model rocket. Let me know if you can help! Thanks.

Latest posts

Back