Anyone impacted by the government shutdown?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not personally affected, but some of my colleagues were. (Geophysicists, mostly.) When the government was shutdown, they literally are not allowed to work on their experiments, risking months of research.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I flew to Houston on Monday for something I had to do for work on Tuesday. As always, whenever I make my arrangements to fly to Houston I always go in and out of Hobby airport so I can drive down to the Space Center and spend some time looking at their Saturn V on display. It's free if you go to the guardhouse on the side and tell them you want to see the Saturn V. They won't let you onto the Space Center but just past the guard house, and just before the entrance to the main property, there is a small parking lot for visitors to the Rocket Garden (or whatever they call it). I generally spend an hour or two walking around, going over all the steps of a mission to and from the moon as I look at the different sections. It's just amazing to see in person.

But on this trip I was a little worried, not knowing how the shutdown would affect the building access. There's nobody that works at the building itself, but tours from the visitors center usually come through every 20 minutes or so.

When I arrived I was half expecting the guard to tell me it was off limits due to the shutdown or something like that, because of some stupid reason. But it wasn't! The tours were still going on so I'm sure that's a private company that does all the visitor center stuff. It was another great visit. I love that rocket.

I’ve done the same....JSC is eight miles from my house. If I’m down along NASA Rd 1 I’ll often pop in as you do and just sit on one of the benches alongside the Saturn V. Never fails not to be inspiring.

(About a decade ago, I read a good portion of Michael Collins’ Carrying the Fire next to the rocket! That was a fun day.)

In answer to the OP, NASA Houston Rocket Club launch was cancelled this past Saturday because of the shutdown! The horror, the humanity!!

I’ve done the same....JSC is eight miles from my house. If I’m down along NASA Rd 1 I’ll often pop in as you do and just sit on one of the benches alongside the Saturn V. Never fails not to be inspiring.

(About a decade ago, I read a good portion of Michael Collins’ Carrying the Fire next to the rocket! That was a fun day.)

Do you have to pay the entrance fee for the museum, then take the tour from there or is it possible to just go see the rockets? I fly my rockets in the shadows of the Saturn V but have never gone over to see it.

Do you have to pay the entrance fee for the museum, then take the tour from there or is it possible to just go see the rockets? I fly my rockets in the shadows of the Saturn V but have never gone over to see it.

From a couple of posts previous:
It's free if you go to the guardhouse on the side and tell them you want to see the Saturn V. They won't let you onto the Space Center but just past the guard house, and just before the entrance to the main property, there is a small parking lot for visitors to the Rocket Garden (or whatever they call it).

So just drive up to the guard, point to your left at the Saturn V building, and he'll wave you on. Turn left immediately into the small parking lot and walk into the building through the nearest door.

The tour guides that come through will ask you if you're with a tour group whenever they're trying to round them back up for the train, but they're just making sure they don't leave anyone behind so tell them you're parked outside.

Sometimes I join the tour as they walk into the building and I'll listen to the tour guide talk about the rocket until he's done and then I'll walk away and look around some more. Some tour guides are better than others. Haha.

Back