Anyone have a Skil Power Cutter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyM

Reaction score
I saw this on clearance at Wally World and almost bought it, but wanted to check out in rocketland to see if anyone has one and how it works. It get's mixed review on Amazon and based on those I don't know if it would have enough power to be used for things like cutting fins out of 1/4" ply or G10. Anyone?power cutter.jpg

My experience is that magical "it cuts everything!" tools is that it means "mutilates numerous materials, doesn't really cut any well, except when brand new".

G10 is a very tough material, and I doubt a $25 "magic tool" is going to do much with it, even the thin stuff. 1/4" plywood, maybe, depending on the specific plywood -- 1/4" lite ply is pretty soft, and easy to cut. 1/4" baltic birch is a lot harder to cut.

I'd leave it on the shelf.

-Kevin

The only thing I found that works on dense fibreglass is a diamond encrusted cutting disc, and even those wear out after a few hours of cutting. But those discs are your best bet for G10.

Yeah, I normally use a jig saw for cutting G10. Also use the diamond dremel disks, but always looking for other options. It still might be worth it for cutting plywood and basswood, but I don't think I will get one.

I think one of those tile wet saws would be great for FG and G-10 ,and they can be had for cheap ,the diamond blades too.

I still plan on getting one one day ,that would be handy ,and the water would keep that aweful dust at bay.

Paul T

It does not not work well on G10 or cf in my opinion. I have 2 east cutters and both cut poorly. Jagged edges and they jam.

I don't own any Skil tools, but a good rule of thumb - You Get What You Pay For. A power tool that only costs $25 is going have a plastic case, plastic gears, and will not last. Buying tools at a discounter like walmart is not a good idea.

I use fine-toothed carbide blades on a table saw for cutting simple shapes in G10, and a jig saw with a carbide grit blade for curves and complex forms.

Kevin O

Every tool I use when cutting G10 is Diamond coated micro grain carbide.
They don't cut better, They Last!

I cut G10 on a power shear, in a sheet metal shop. For those that that don't work at a facility that has a sheet metal shop, look one up in the yellow pages. You might be surprised at what showing up near closing time with a 12 pack of beer will get you. :wink:

Another option might be your local high school metal shop. They might have a shear.

Skil and Ryobi tools I leave in the store
YEP! not to mention that one is hand held and only as good as your hand.

Most table tile cutters also suck..they are great for up to 8". If you do any tile (G-10?) over that like everyone wants now (12-18" squares) the fence they give you is not doing it's job and the last 1/4" has a stress load and it snaps.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Chinese tools. ( I break stuff all the time)

Back