Anyone else remember the 38mm original LOC Tristar?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes but, back then the transitions were balsa not blow molded plastic.
The transitions they have now are plastic.
Do you see my point?

JD

Yes but, back then the transitions were balsa not blow molded plastic.
The transitions they have now are plastic.
Do you see my point?

JD

I remember 7.5" - 5.38" for the Top Gun and Esoteric being Balsa. I think the TriStar (in my era of memory) used a molded urethane reducer that was a solid plug. Probably a high density 2-part expanding foam made in a mold.

Edit: Looked at the ones in that catalog. Hard to tell, but those look like Balsa in the picture.

Last edited:
Is the Tristar coming back for good for Loc, or is it just a limited time only thing?

The are making me a total of a couple dozen. The LOC Doc is a heck of an instagator. As far as I know
I am the only dealer getting them.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies

We will do what we can to make sure everyone who wants a Tristar gets one.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies

You are personally calling our wives and making the case for why we need another rocket for the build pile?

Now that is service!

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I just updated the RockSim file.
The Motor mounts were the wrong size for some reason.
I even used Loc tubes from Rocketsim 9 that I have.
The ID was 1.45" RS does allow you to load motors bigger than the ID.

JD

I remember 7.5" - 5.38" for the Top Gun and Esoteric being Balsa. I think the TriStar (in my era of memory) used a molded urethane reducer that was a solid plug. Probably a high density 2-part expanding foam made in a mold.

Edit: Looked at the ones in that catalog. Hard to tell, but those look like Balsa in the picture.

The original Ron Schultz Tri-Star had a 4" to 2.56" transition made of VERY hard and HEAVY Urethane. The original transition would definitely hurt if it fell on somebody.

The original Ron Schultz Tri-Star had a 4" to 2.56" transition made of VERY hard and HEAVY Urethane. The original transition would definitely hurt if it fell on somebody.

The original urethane reducer was 3.90-2.56. It weighed approximately 6 oz. This was reducer that I used in designing the LOC Tri-Star. I still have one of the Tri-Stars from the original 3 that I built. aeg.

Back