any Lou Reed fans?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Any Lou Reed fans? (I assume one or two of yo are!)

Big on his early stuff, and the later years with the Velvet underground..

A work-mate got me started with him with his 'Dirty Boulevard' cassette tape.. And later, the Cowboy junkies with their rendition of Sweet Jane..

Another musician who did well, and probably was at his prime during his heroin addiction..

I went to YouTube and discovered Dirty Blvd. Those are wild lyrics

I only knew of his one main hit, "Walk on the Wild Side"

Hobie, I posted this as my music feed played 'Heroin' and 'Rock n Roll'. He has a long career, across a few different themes & types..

"Transformer" is considered his signature work.

I'm actually a major Lou Reed fan. The Velvet Underground basically changed my life WAY back when, and I've continued to follow Lou, in all his phases, since.
No doubt he didn't "hit it" every time, and there is a lot of his material that ain't all that, but holy crap when he's at his best, there is absolutely nothing better.
A true artist, and one who's work really speaks to me.

"She couldn't believe what she heard at all, not at all. She started dancing to that fine, fine music, whoa her life was saved by rock-n-roll"

RIP Lou, we miss you.

s6

Last edited:
White Lines, White heat!
Satellite of love..

The list goes on.

Not a fan of Nico though.. don't like her voice. (I think she was only on the album because of who she knew / was "with"..)

"Lou, Mick, and David go for a kiss"

1613147687411.png

They aren't a band I listen to every day, but were a major influence on many of my favorite bands. They certainly shaped a few genres of underground music.

New York is one of my favorite albums. Listening to it frequently lately. Love LR.

Lou's one of those artists of whom a little goes a long way. Seems like I can usually find a nugget off of each album, but it takes a lot of panning.

Lou's one of those artists of whom a little goes a long way. Seems like I can usually find a nugget off of each album, but it takes a lot of panning.

This is often true enough. Even some of the most revered "classic" albums (such as Transformer and Berlin) have their weaker moments, but the good stuff is very good.

But I submit that New York, and Magic & Loss, are consistently stellar from start to finish. As "perfect" as albums can be in my opinion, with no filler or skip-over songs at all. Add to that maybe Rock and Roll Animal, that while I do tire a bit from some of the 70's guitar-hero jamming, I can still listen and enjoy from start to finish a lot of the time (and have a LOT of times).

And some days (or longer periods) I find myself in a "It's a Lou Reed day" mood, and pretty much play all Lou (and VU) all the time. Not for everyone I know, but I seem to have found myself in that headspace quite a few times over the years.

s6

What, no Laurie Anderson thread?

I thought this was a "Big Science" type of crowd.....

I remember when listening to 'Walk on the Wild Side' (and actually understanding all the Warhol references) was cool. Now it gets played in supermarkets. That's a little weird right there.

I'd say 'Andy's Chest', 'Hangin' Round' and 'Wagon Wheel' are my fave tracks from Transformer. Sally Can't Dance and Berlin are two other great albums.

Latest posts

Back