Another new motor certified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@AeroTech --

It looks like it but I have to ask for a rocket design I am messing with ...

Will the K76WN actually come with BoM #11, a 1.75-inch, 10/24 welded, stainless eyebolt installed ?
k76wn-p_rcs_assembly.png
Thanks !

-- kjh

Yes, that is the plan.
In a perfect world, it would be nice if it came with a 14/20 tappe hole instead. That would both allow for easy use of an eyebolt in traditional minimum diameter rockets, as well as make it possible to attach an airframe directly to the top of the motor for submin designs.

I don't see a tapped hole in epoxy making sense, but maybe the answer is a chunk of threaded rod (or just a hex bolt with the hex embedded in the epoxy) that a variety of other things could be anchored to.
That is essentially what they did. Look at the picture and parts list.

Just look at the picture and parts list.

I did. I did again to see if I was missing anything. I wasn't.

The parts list is an eye bolt. The picture shows the exposed portion of the eye bolt with no threads. So you can anchor a harness to it, but you can't really use it to attach an airframe as @Neutronium95 suggested. On the other hand, if the exposed fastener is just a threaded stud, as I suggested, you can attach anything you want to it. Use it as your anchor point, attach the airframe to it in a sub-MD rocket, use it to retain the motor in a rocket of more conventional layout, or some combination of those things.

I did. I did again to see if I was missing anything. I wasn't.

The parts list is an eye bolt. The picture shows the exposed portion of the eye bolt with no threads. So you can anchor a harness to it, but you can't really use it to attach an airframe as @Neutronium95 suggested. On the other hand, if the exposed fastener is just a threaded stud, as I suggested, you can attach anything you want to it. Use it as your anchor point, attach the airframe to it in a sub-MD rocket, use it to retain the motor in a rocket of more conventional layout, or some combination of those things.
If you look REAL close at the forward end in the picture of the motor, there is a 10-24 hex nut embedded in the epoxy well and the eye bolt has threads.

Not sure the eye-bolt can be removed, but if it is removable, could the eye-bolt not be replaced with 10-24 threaded rod for other rocket designs ?

Or am I missing something ?

-- kjh

Not sure the eye-bolt can be removed, but if it is removable, could the eye-bolt not be replaced with 10-24 threaded rod for other rocket designs ?
+1

However, It may be sealed well so there will not be any blow-by. We will see.

Last edited:
If you look REAL close at the forward end in the picture of the motor, there is a 10-24 hex nut embedded in the epoxy well and the eye bolt has threads.

Or am I missing something ?

-- kjh

It's unlikely the eyebolt could be unscrewed from the epoxy, assuming it was placed when the epoxy was liquid.

Back