Another McDonalds story.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope they pay your daughter 'hourly' at Applebee's rather then her having to strictly go on tips...Lot's of restaurants pay a measly hourly wage and expect the waitress to 'make up' the difference to minimum wage with tips that they are expected to report and then get taxed..If they get above a certain amount of tips vs their hourly pay they deduct the tips from their hourly pay:mad: From experience my daughter had at Waffle House..Crooks...

Restaurants are simply doing what is allowed by state law in some states. There is a lower minimum wage for tipped employees.

We have golf clubs and country clubs locally who don't allow the wait staff to take tips, yet right on the menu it says a 15% service charge will be added to all meals. The service fee goes to the club, not the staff. There was a class action lawsuit some year back against the clubs by the wait staff claiming the service charge should go to them. I believe the clubs won, but I don't recall for sure.

Another favorite trick I see with non-scheduled jobs is if you turn down work for ANY reason they will skip you for a couple days as a spanking.

This has been the un-official policy with I.A.T.S.E local#115 Stagehands for 30+ years...(Oh!..so ya don't wanna work eh!):mad:

Last edited:
This is a clear case of wrongful termination for all involved. I would not let the owners/managers off the hook. Since there were many witnesses/victims in this incident it should be easy to prove. Your daughter may have moved on but someone elses daughter will be taking her place and will be subject to the same type of abuses. McDonalds corporate also needs to be made aware of the practices of this franchisee.

Many retail employers across the country are going to cut the hours of thier non-management employees to below 32 a week starting on Jan 1st. My wifes employer made the anouncement last month. We are entering a new era in this country, for better or worse things are going to change.

This is a clear case of wrongful termination for all involved. I would not let the owners/managers off the hook. Since there were many witnesses/victims in this incident it should be easy to prove. Your daughter may have moved on but someone elses daughter will be taking her place and will be subject to the same type of abuses. McDonalds corporate also needs to be made aware of the practices of this franchisee.

Many retail employers across the country are going to cut the hours of thier non-management employees to below 32 a week starting on Jan 1st. My wifes employer made the anouncement last month. We are entering a new era in this country, for better or worse things are going to change.

That was my point. I think it is a point of making sure not gets harmed bu this manager again.

They do it every year to make their bottom line look better...
It happens every Jan 1 that I've been aware of (even just after Christmas).
High unemployment rates goes in the favor of the employers.
People are more willing to work for less than when there are more jobs than workers.

The day when the politicians stop taking corporate handouts is the day they fix the economy.

JD

This is a clear case of wrongful termination for all involved. I would not let the owners/managers off the hook. Since there were many witnesses/victims in this incident it should be easy to prove. Your daughter may have moved on but someone else's daughter will be taking her place and will be subject to the same type of abuses. McDonalds corporate also needs to be made aware of the practices of this franchisee.

Many retail employers across the country are going to cut the hours of their non-management employees to below 32 a week starting on Jan 1st. My wife's employer made the announcement last month. We are entering a new era in this country, for better or worse things are going to change.

Yea to JP,JD and Chuck..the corporate should hear about this regardless if this is a corporate or franchise location..which is sometimes the situation..as with Taco HELL.

Another favorite trick I see with non-scheduled jobs is if you turn down work for ANY reason they will skip you for a couple days as a spanking.

This has been the un-official policy with I.A.T.S.E local#115 Stagehands for 30+ years...(Oh!..so ya don't wanna work eh!):mad:

Yeah, the stupid school district I used to work for did this sort of garbage... If you turned down a field trip, you didn't get offered another one except as THEIR last resort... (IOW, when THEIR back was against the wall and everybody else had turned them down...) UNLESS of course you were one of the "pets"... then you got all the sweet jobs and none of the junk ones...

Personally, I got sick and tired of the crap from the elementary teachers-- every other school in the district, the middle, junior high, and high school, would tend to their duties on field trips and treated us decently, like human beings, if not with real "respect" (since we were merely "non-professional" employees, unlike the "professional" teachers). The elementary school teachers were like spoiled brats or know-it-all witches.... they never had their crap together, and when we "filled in the blanks" we'd usually get static back from them since we were just "know-nothing bus drivers". The district told us we were to be back from trips by 3pm to prepare for the evening runs, and we'd have it timed out to accomplish that-- we'd tell the teachers we needed to leave a certain area by say 2pm to get back in time, and they'd INVARIABLY screw around til 2:20-2:30 and make us (and therefore the entire district transportation department) simply because they didn't want to have to babysit their kids for the additional 30 minutes until school dismissal at 3:30. Then, they'd outright LIE about it and blame it on us drivers... They wouldn't even have the decency to ASK for help loading or unloading their lunches or drink coolers, just EXPECT it to be done for them, and then get VERY snippy if we didn't just jump to it (this after our boss told us that we were merely to drive them where they were going-- loading and unloading stuff was NOT part of our job responsibilities-- even so, if we were ASKED like human beings with common courtesy, we'd help load/unload their stuff). After putting up with this sort of crap for a couple years, I told my boss that I categorically REFUSED to drive any more elementary field trips... I simply WOULD NOT put up with being treated that way. I gave and got respectful treatment from every other school's teachers, but the elementary teachers were invariably acting like b!tches to us and I for one was sick of it. This was fine with the old boss, but when he retired, the new boss decided to "punish" me and refused to give me ANY trips whatsoever... cest la vis... At that point I was pretty disgusted by the way they were doing things and the new boss was a complete A-hole anyway, and a dimwit at that... he routinely fired at least one person a year to "keep the skeer" in everybody else... needless to say it wasn't long before he canned me...

Good riddance...

Later! OL JR :)

I worked at a local grocery store to my college. It was a chain that is found in the NE and Central US. We had a night supervisor that would slap employees on the behind (you hopefully would not see this today). A complaint was raised and his excuse was that he was gay and this was in no way a sexual thing. He though the complaint came from a female employee. He was wrong.

Locally, they gave him a stern talking to, but refused to fire him. A few months latter, it his the regional supervisors desk. 2 employees were let go (the supervisor and the manager who elected to not report it up the chain).

I am very careful not to give the wrong message to my employees and coworkers. I prefer not to discuss anything private at work and try not to tell any jokes that might be misconstrued.

I hate the food. The fries are rarely fresh. The burgers are nasty. I would rather eat horse or camel and I think I have in the various travels I have had to take. Mcdonalds should be ashamed of themselves.

SUPER SIZE ME!...The last time I ate at micky d's was nine years and four moth's ago, the day my wife went into labor with our second child. Got food poisoning complete with... :puke:

If that happened up here the restaurant would be crucified in the press then likely the labour board.

There are two problems with going to a lawyer. One is that lawyers are involved in too much already. She has a better job, and so karma has already smiled on her.

Second, some jobs ask if you have ever sued a previous employer. Imagine you are hiring, and you have two people that are equal. One sued a previous employer, one did not. Which will you hire? Doesn't make any difference that it is a legitimate case since the future employer will not know what really happened, only that one of the applicants has a track record of suing.

Note - I am not an HR lawyer.

I work in construction so I eat out a lot. I haven't been in a MickeyDee's in about 8 years to eat. I have come to the conclusion that those places are good for two things:

1. Bathrooms when it is 30 degrees out.
2. WiFi

I don't eat at McDonald's for lunch or dinner, but it is mainly because I really don't like that type of food for the most part. The last time I ate at McDonald's for lunch or dinner was on a Boy Scout trip as the boys like it. I will eat there on occasion for breakfast as I like the McSkillet breakfast burritos.

Last edited:
Back