Amazon delivery drones versus rockets -- and kites

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeltrains

Reaction score
Assuming this is for real, what happens if a drone collides with my kite over the park or my yard and crashes?

And how can I even see the thing before it is 50 yards away?

https://money.cnn.com/2013/12/01/technology/amazon-drone-delivery/
Amazon says drone deliveries are the future
By Gregory Wallace @gregorywallace December 2, 2013: 9:58 AM ET
The "octocopters" aren't ready to take flight yet. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said in an interview on 60 Minutes that the drones would be ready to take flight in four to five years. But an Amazon spokesperson pointed to an updated post on the company's website promising aerial deliveries as soon as federal rules change.

Those FAA rules could come as soon as 2015. The type of flights Bezos proposed are currently not allowed. Unlike some other drones currently used, these would be autonomous -- they would fly without a pilot.

So, the question is, how will this, and what has to be increasing utilization of the technology, interact with the kite and rocketry hobbies?

And living out here in midwest farm country, I'm wondering about delivery drones & crop dusting season, how does that mesh?

The question I haven't seen asked or answered yet is this: Piloted, or Autonomous (robotic)? Piloted would seem to be a more expensive option than UPS, so my suspicion is that they are pressing for the final development of UAV technology to the consumer sector. If that's the case, (and I have no idea if that technology uis actually "ready") then they open up a whole range of new questions in regard to public safety.

...then they open up a whole range of new questions in regard to public safety.
You mean like this?
https://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/investigators&id=9292217
EXCLUSIVE: Brooklyn man arrested for flying drone over Manhattan
Friday, October 18, 2013
NEW YORK (WABC) -- He's a musician from Brooklyn but he has struck a wrong note with the NYPD who tracked him down after our story aired and charged the inexperienced, drone operator with reckless endangerment.

It's his own video that helped the NYPD nail David Zablidowsky . The 34-year-old musician from Brooklyn is clearly seen at the controls of the drone.

The 34-year-old musician from Brooklyn is clearly seen at the controls of the drone.

The video recovered by a financial analyst who handed it over to Eyewitness News, after he nearly took a direct hit when the small helicopter drone similar to this one, crashed at his feet while walking near Grand Central.

So how would we be able to tell the difference from a delivery drone and a surveillance drone?

Greg

Agree with will never happen. Would like to see a driver verses drone demonstration though. Driver will beat the crap out of the drone!!!

Got this back from Amazon a bit ago.
It kind of sounds to me like the lackeys are out of the loop.
Hello,

Amazon.com does not comment about rumors or speculative news reports.

However, I can assure you that we have not announced any dealings about drones colliding with kites at park.

I'm sorry I can't provide any additional information. We hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,
Sarath R.

I don't want my Precious Packages flying around in the Air. My Mail Carrier leaves my packages right on my Porch or in my Box if they fit. My Cats would likely attack the Drone if it made the mistake of landing in my Yard.

Now that puts an interesting spin on the matter:
"Amazon would not comment on the timing of the announcement.
A 30-second commercial during “60 Minutes” runs over $100,000, according to AdAge. At that price, a 14-minute editorial is worth millions in free advertising.
Dan Lyons, an author and former technology writer, believes the motivations of Bezos, who rarely grants interviews, were more sinister. The appearance on “60 Minutes,” Lyons wrote in a HuffPost blog, was simply “smoke and mirrors” to shift attention away from an unflattering portrayal of Bezos in Brad Stone’s bestselling book about Amazon, after attempts to discredit the book were unsuccessful."
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/02/amazon-drones_n_4373518.html

Even with that, my questions about sharing airspace and accident validity are indeed valid.

Back