AltimeterControlV3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micahfriesen

Reaction score
This is my new project, a water rocket controller with 4 servo outputs, 200g 3axis accelerometer, barometer, sd card logging, optional 1.3" lcd full color screen, and 4 rgb lights. Pcbs and components are ordered, and it will need a good bit of programming, so it will be a while yet.

Here are some renders, board size is 2" tall by 1.5" wide

1680285809659.png1680285854806.png

There are switches and headers that go on there as well, but I didnt want to solder them on until I have all the surface mount components soldered.

Looking good and yes, get all the low & small parts on first.

I see a RESET button. I would be worried that G forces may close this. That would be bad to have the processor reset during boost.

Maybe a jumper to do reset.

Looking good and yes, get all the low & small parts on first.

I see a RESET button. I would be worried that G forces may close this. That would be bad to have the processor reset during boost.

Maybe a jumper to do reset.
Not a bad idea, but just a data point that I've never had a problem with my reset button below - max g's it has been through in flight is ~85. I use those low profile ones like the old Ardupilots used to have.
IMG_3196.jpg

Lookin' good @Micahfriesen!

On the buttons. There will be a mounting case that has holes for the button which will prevent accidental triggering. One is a hardware reset, one is an arm button, and one is a clear button, so there are two buttons that can't be pushed.

Not a bad idea, but just a data point that I've never had a problem with my reset button below - max g's it has been through in flight is ~85. I use those low profile ones like the old Ardupilots used to have.
Ok, if you know they will not trip then you're good.

Assembly is a bit difficult, as I have .019" pitch IC's, and about half 0603 and half 0402. You basically have to have a stencil. I placed all the components by hand, if I was going to do more I would use our pick and place.

Not a fan of 0.5mm pitch LGA's... I'm guessing that your accel chip is one. They are VERY difficult to hand-place... they were designed for pick and place machines with cameras, not humans.

Its been a while since I last posted. I have the screen online with lvgl as a graphics driver, and the I can control the neopixel leds.

1683038372152.png1683038394781.png

All the hardware including the altimeter is working. Now all I have to do is piece it all together and we should be ready to launch :bravo:

I think I am about ready to send it up in a rocket :clapping: It will be on a proven rocket, just riding along for the first time for sure.

Back