Altimeter opinions please

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a lot of research to decide which altimeter would be best for me and I chose the MiniAlt/WD.

But I was impressed with several of the others on the market.

-- Roger

That's what I would recommend at the $100 price point.

Its a great little altimeter. I have two of them and fly them regularly. Never a problem. However you will be limited to e-matches.

You might think about the PerfectFlite HA45K. The HA45K does not log data like the MAWD, has a ceiling of 45, 000 feet and is not limited to e-matches. The HA45K will fire Hot Coils.

Depends on your needs.

I've got four MAWDs and two of the HA45s. They're tiny, inexpensive, and utterly reliable. You can't go wrong with these.

I don't know.....my mawd wasn't tough enough to survive a M1550 spitting the rear closure and going through my ebay hard enough to knock a 45 pound rocket 300 feet in the air.......

Just kidding (not about the stupid M1550 taking out my ebay and totalling my rocket)....the MAWD is a great little altimeter.

Originally posted by QuickBurst
Its a great little altimeter. I have two of them and fly them regularly. Never a problem. However you will be limited to e-matches.

You might think about the PerfectFlite HA45K. The HA45K does not log data like the MAWD, has a ceiling of 45, 000 feet and is not limited to e-matches. The HA45K will fire Hot Coils.

Depends on your needs.

err umm...what's a hot coil...

Originally posted by bigone5500
err umm...what's a hot coil...

A Hot Coil is a substitue for E-Matches. The Hot Coil does not require a LEUP to possess, use or purchase.

If you have a LEUP this is not a problem. If you don't ... then obtaining e-matches can be problematic.

Hot Coils and Hot Coil kits are available on my site.

Link below ....

Forgive me if this was explained earlier...

Are Hot Coils just things that ignite BP, or are they actually the things that produce the ejection charge?

Cuz if you need BP, don't you need a LEUP for that...or perhaps a firearms ID in states like mine (Illinois)?

Interesting product....are there any altimiters that record altitude that work with it?

EDIT...I read more 'bout Hot Coils in the...well, "HOT COILS" thread. Still...I guess I'd like to know if/when you learn of an AFFORDABLE altimeter that has enough juice for the coils but still can beep-out your altitude!!

That ARTS 2 is like $180!!! :eek:

Hot Coils are e-match alternatives and are used to activate your ejection compound. They are not regulated by the ATF. The ARTS2 is a recording altimeter and it should fire them fine. There are others, but I'm not sure which. Bottom line ... use something that will provide 5 amps firing current for about a second.

Another choice is the HA45K by PerfectFlite (no data recording).

The use of black powder in rocketry does require a LEUP. Unless you are using the exempt black powder that came with an exempt motor (<62.5 grams).

You don't need a LEUP to purchase black powder but you do need one if it is used for anything other than antique firearms.

This is true for all of the states in the US.

Originally posted by Deandome

EDIT...I read more 'bout Hot Coils in the...well, "HOT COILS" thread. Still...I guess I'd like to know if/when you learn of an AFFORDABLE altimeter that has enough juice for the coils but still can beep-out your altitude!!

That ARTS 2 is like $180!!! :eek:

The HA45K. It's like $80, good to 45K', and audibly reports peak altitude, but no other flight data.

HA45K on Perfectflite site

Thanks...and DOH!!

When people were saying it didn't record data, I took that to mean it wouldnt report altitude...but I see that it does!

I definitely wanna stay under $100....

The MAWD is right around $100, and records data. I believe you can find that one on the Perfectflite site as well.

I thought that MAWD didn't output the same amperage that the Hi45K did and thats what the Hot Coil needs. I could be wrong (and more than likely am)

-Aaron

Originally posted by heada
I thought that MAWD didn't output the same amperage that the Hi45K did and thats what the Hot Coil needs. I could be wrong (and more than likely am)

-Aaron

The MAWD manual says it peaks at 27A. Doesn't give a latch time but it says 190 mJ. I think even 4 Amps at 9 Volts will suck down 190 mJ in milliseconds not the one second that I've been hearing the Hot Coil wants.

https://www.pratthobbies.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WEC-5B says that they'll work with "all common altimeters."

Well then...Dave (of QuickBurst fame) send me a HotCoil and I'll test it out with the MAWD all you want :)

The more alts it works with, the more you'll sell.

-Aaron

Back