Altimeter - Marsa vs. Raven

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was looking at two motors one time, someone offered some advice..
if you cant decide which one... Buy both.

Actually, it looks like the question is Marsa54 vs Raven2.

Which updated flight computer takes home Best of Show?

I'd take the raven every time, personally. The telemetrum is high on my list too, but it's pretty expensive and you need a HAM license.

They are two completely different animals.

For size, the Raven takes it hands down

For ease of use, I'd go with the MARSA

Both have first rate support.

They both have their plusses and minuses.

If you only want to fly it with 54mm rockets and larger, the Marsa54 has a number of features that the Raven doesn't have, with the LCD screen being probably the most significant. Their front page has a bunch of questions about features in which the Marsa54 people have gone a step beyond what the Raven does. You'll have to decide how important those distinctions are for what you're doing. The Marsa54 also has an expansion connector to use it with future modules, particularly GPS. If people want, I could discuss each of their questions on the front page to describe the Raven's alternative to the Marsa54 approach, but it could be tricky for me to do that from an unbiased perspective.

The things that I know the Raven can do that the Marsa54 can't, are

1. Fit in 24mm, 29mm or 38mm rockets.
2. Less expensive; Marsa54 is 45% more expensive than a Raven.
3. 0.05% accuracy barometric sensor that works up to 100,000 feet (vs. 45kft)
4. Higher G-range standard accelerometer (70 vs 50 Gs)
5. Higher high-range accelerometer available (250 Gs vs 100 Gs)
5. Lateral acceleration measurement
6. Fit into 2" long, no-wire av-bays available in 24mm, 29mm, and 38mm.
7. Use a single lipo cell for power and pyro deployments (rather than a 9V battery)

Some things that I don't know about the Marsa54 altimeter that I'm curious about, if someone has the information, are:

1. What are all the recorded data measurements? Does it record battery current, battery voltage, continuity of each of the channels, and temperature? Does it record all derived flight events, whether or not they're used for the deployments? The Raven does.

2. What is the time resolution for the different measurements? The Raven records the axial acceleration at 400 Hz, the lateral acceleration at 200 Hz, 40 Hz for the battery current, and 20 Hz for everything else. This is useful for seeing what happens during deployment and landing events.

3. Does the Marsa54 have a motor burnout counter (very useful for multiple airstarts)?

Each altimeter manufacturer has his own ideas about what features are important, both to themselves, and to their customers, and has designed an altimeter that is optimized around those features. It's interesting to see how different those priorities are, once you get past the basic dual deployment functions. Each has his own niche and I'm glad that the Marsa54 exists so that people don't bug me about making a Raven with an LCD. :) There are altimeters being sold now that fall short compared to the Raven in almost every category, but the Marsa54 isn't one of them.

Last edited:
I took down the altimeter comparison on the MARSA website, it was not my intention to be misleading or inaccurate. Any further comparisons will be done in a positive mode.

The design philosophies between the RAVEN and MARSA are distinctly different. One is not superior to the other but it give users a choice based on what is important to them as Adrian posted.

The driving design intent of the MARSA was to attain maximum flight reliability by providing a simple integrated user interface to a very complex device and provide comprehensive diagnostics to find and prevent problems before launch. Over 75% of the firmware is dedicated to these functions.

Details can be found on the website, www.marsa4.com.

Are the MARSA54 available right now?
I don't see any links to purchasing options?

JD

Yes, you need to click on MARSA4, then the purchasing option menu will be available.

I need to change that menu item to MARSA4/MARSA54.

I took down the altimeter comparison on the MARSA website, it was not my intention to be misleading or inaccurate. Any further comparisons will be done in a positive mode.

The design philosophies between the RAVEN and MARSA are distinctly different. One is not superior to the other but it give users a choice based on what is important to them as Adrian posted.

The driving design intent of the MARSA was to attain maximum flight reliability by providing a simple integrated user interface to a very complex device and provide comprehensive diagnostics to find and prevent problems before launch. Over 75% of the firmware is dedicated to these functions.

Details can be found on the website, www.marsa4.com.

Thanks. After comparing the two, I went with the Raven2 because it
seems to be more widespread in use and thus I'm likely to resolve any
bugs and/or find support onsite and offsite much easier than with the
Marsa. That's not based on any real scientific research, just from general
observations of the masses.

Thanks. After comparing the two, I went with the Raven2 because it
seems to be more widespread in use and thus I'm likely to resolve any
bugs and/or find support onsite and offsite much easier than with the
Marsa. That's not based on any real scientific research, just from general
observations of the masses.

You have to go with what you think is right for you, and I think you'll find John and Adrian will both agree with that statement.

That said, from what I've seen over the years, when it comes to electronics, John and Adrian are the two folks most actively involved in making sure their customers are taken care of, and their products are properly supported.

You cannot go wrong with a product from either one of these two.

-Kevin

You have to go with what you think is right for you, and I think you'll find John and Adrian will both agree with that statement.

That said, from what I've seen over the years, when it comes to electronics, John and Adrian are the two folks most actively involved in making sure their customers are taken care of, and their products are properly supported.

You cannot go wrong with a product from either one of these two.

-Kevin

Kevin:

I agree. No doubt, both systems are likely top notch. I seriously doubt
anybody would be paying a few hundred bucks for lackluster electronics.
I'm just making a purchasing choice based on the non-scientific method of
seeing more people commenting on having a Raven Electronics than any
other model. As such, I just rather have a system that is widely used
by the masses.

Plus, the price of the Raven2 was almost 35% cheaper and given that
both systems appear to be matched in most important areas, I'll take the
cheaper version and use the cost savings to invest in something else, thus
increasing my purchasing power. :)

My take was the Raven2 fit my price point, the surprising part of it, was that hte raven2 was so tiny. I have flown mine only once, but at the FREEDOM launch it will probably get at least 2 more flights!

This topic is a year old, and maybe no one cares. I am trying to make this decision now with the Marsa54 vs Raven 3. Both are great. I have talked to very experienced flyers, who like both. In addition to being a great altimeter, the Raven 3 is very small. I am interested in it for a minimum diameter 38 mm rocket as one function. The main issue for me is that it is only run by Windows software. It can run by default settings, but I don't believe that one can obtain velocity without a pc. Supposedly, one can run the program Wine which mimics Windows on Apple, and then run Raven software. I have not found anyone that has direct experience with this. I am not sure how easy it is to download software from Apple and transfer to Windows PC and install (if this is even possible). This is a large obstacle for me. The Marsa54 has the nice feature of not needing a computer. It has its own screen on the altimeter. The main drawback is that it is very large. This may cause me to think about a minimum diameter 54 mm rocket and skip the 38 mm. Does anyone have any thoughts on getting Raven 3 to interface with Apple? Would it be easy to just buy a Windows machine and run it without paying much to get it running on internet?

If you are going 38 mm, the raven 3 is the only way to go. The Marsa54 will not fit. They are comparable. The Marsa if field settable without a computer.

Supposedly, one can run the program Wine which mimics Windows on Apple, and then run Raven software.
I've never gotten this to work under Linux, and there seem to be some problems on Mac as well. I just use an old Windows machine I have easy access to.

No experience with the Marsa, but I have used the Raven 2 and it is very easy to program and I like seeing all of the parameters on one large screen on the PC where it is easy to verify the settings.

No experience with the Marsa, but I have used the Raven 2 and it is very easy to program and I like seeing all of the parameters on one large screen on the PC where it is easy to verify the settings.

I agree with that. It just requires a computer.

Latest posts

Back