AIM54 / Phoenix missile data?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainRocketeer

Reaction score
I have about 30 inches of 2.6" body tube and nose cone so I think that should be just about right to construct a Phoenix missile. I have not had a lot of luck finding scale data online, though.

Does anyone have any scale data or a RockSim file for a Phoenix missile (AIM54)? It can be any scale, as long as it is accurate, as I can increase or decrease the scale to match my tubing.

Thanks!

Found this a while back.. (Same as above.. thanks Jim!!)

The excel spred sheet is a reduciton (downscale) list for various tubes sizes. Just match up the dim on the dwg, and follow along to the desired tube dia..

It jsut so happens I'm doing a BT-60 Phoenix..

I do gotta post more rockets stuff, and post more pics..

Phoenix_AIM-54A.jpg

View attachment rocket down scale chart.xls

Oh yeah, and push the MMT in as deep / high as possible. If I recall, the Estes one, the MMT was about an inch or two inside the BT, to get the CG as far forward as possible..

OK, it's been years since I had the "official" Estes kit, so somebody with more recent experience, please tell me if I am remembering all this correctly and have my kit parts properly accounted for---

I am thinking that an Estes Maxi Alpha III kit would get me most of the "hard" parts for an equivalent Phoenix:
--The two kits use the same NC, right?
--The Maxi Alpha will include most (or all) of the BT I need for the Phoenix
--Sheet balsa (or basswood) I can get easily, if I don't already have some laying around uncommitted
--MMT components I can adapt from scrap and other materials

Biggest missing piece I see is a sheet of Phoenix decals. I can get those from Excelsior, right? (around $20?)

If I start with $17 for a Maxi Alpha (Hobbylinc), sure seems like I can have another Phoenix (or durned close to it) for way less than ebay prices

I just got back into rocketry after a long long break from the hobby. One of my prizes in my collection back in the day was the Estes Phoenix.

After searching on ebay, I finally broke down and bought a Launch Pad 2.6 Phoenix. After seeing the nose cone (they include a Estes Fat Boy NC and have you do a paper wrap!), and seeing how soft the balsa is for the fins, I decided I am pretty much going to use it for parts and fin pattern. I am going to make the fins out of 1/8 inch ply and switch the nose cone from my Maxi Alpha III (which is the same nose cone from the Estes Phoenix). I will probably airbrush most of the markings

Yeah, I've seen the decals, but I want to do a newer version of the AIM-54....white nose, light ghost grey body and fins. The bands on the newer versions were a brownish color instead of the bright blue.

aim-54-980304-N-1717N-002.jpg

I will be getting a set of the decals for the lettering though.

That has nothing to do with version. Blue means inert/training round, brown means live rocket, yellow means live HE warhead (if I remember right). So, a blue one indicates an inert round (most museum ones look like this, for obvious reasons), while brown and yellow indicates a fully live missile.

very well....then I intend on building it as a live round rather than an inert round as depicted on the decal sheets.:wink:

Thanks for the info.

CJL....can you tell me what "HE" stands for? Is that a type of warhead?

Last edited:
very well....then I intend on building it as a live round rather than an inert round as depicted on the decal sheets.:wink:

Thanks for the info.

CJL....can you tell me what "HE" stands for? Is that a type of warhead?

the HE designator is for High Explosive

Back