AIM USB 3.0

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
So I needed a new Altimeter for my new up-coming Mariah 54 and so after contacting David he told me that he has released the 3.0 version of the AIM USB. Decided to share this info in case some of you are interested. More smaller and more powerful. Here are the list of new features and a picture I took. Would upload others, but the other pictures are above the 2MB limit.

New Features

- Precise by +/- one foot
- Records Battery Voltage lines
- Records the temperature 10x a second
- Output current is now 6 amps
- Will work with a single cell LiPo Battery
- Reduced length from 80mm (3.15 inches) to 70mm (2.75 inches)

Picture

IMG_0124.jpg

Last edited:
I have the older version ,great unit !

David is a great person to deal with and very quick to reply to emails ,all the way from S.Africa !

I might have to look into this unit also ,can never have too many !

Paul T

I have the older version ,great unit !

David is a great person to deal with and very quick to reply to emails ,all the way from S.Africa !

I might have to look into this unit also ,can never have too many !

Paul T

Very great unit and yes I agree, can never have too many. Its perfect for beginers and advanced fliers. I will make more adjustments to the list of features on to what this unit can do. There are still functions to try that I have yet to get at.

Okay so new update and recommendation on which Single Cell LiPo battery to combine with the AIM USB 3.0. For only $10 I bought this 1S 3.7V 500mAh LiPo battery at my local Hobby store after researching it online. Make sure to check if your local hobby store has it to save you the trouble of shipment charges.

What the LiPo batter will do for you AIM USB 3.0 and with your avionics bay

- Keeps your AIM USB 3.0 running for 10+ hours
- Low cost and small dimensions at 2.35 inches long and 0.75 inches wide
- Comes with two Velcro straps to securely strap it onto your electronics sled
- Perfect combination for use with minimum diameter rockets in 29mm form

Pictures

AIM USB 3 and battery attached on sled with Velcro strap
battery on sled.jpg

Battery on Velcro strap
battery on velcro.jpg

Size of battery on my Hand
battery.jpg

Velcro Strap
velcro.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Where is the altimeter sold?

The only source I know where you can get it at is from Apogee Rockets under their dual deployment Altimers. I am not certain yet if they have the new AIM USB 3.0 yet, but they will be getting the new units. Also you can get it directly from David. Just ask him for one and he will send you an invoice and he will send it over.

Is it still a Baro only based unit and does it still report in meters only?

JD

Sorry I believe I got confused, The beep out report is in feet not meters. Only when you plug it to the computer the graph displays it in meters. My mistake :p

To change the peep out report from meters to feet for the AIM USB 3.0 go to Tools, click Device settings, then on the box that says General Settings, click on Imperial.

Here's a picture :)
imperial.jpg

stay tuned for a future update that will display the results in feet and meters. Depending which setting you put it to :).

Last edited:
Made a quick test on the battery Voltage and tested the Baro sensor. The results were great, instantly stopped peeping as soon as I started sucking on the pressure port to simulate a decrease in pressure.

Here is a picture of the graph :). Don't worry about the mess that's normal in a test.
graph.jpg

Back