Aichi D3A2 VAL Dive Bomber Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an Aichi D3A2 VAL Dive Bomber rocket plane that will fly on two 24mm composite motors, probably F24-4s. Built out of a left over TLP 2.6" Kraft tube, a reject Apogee nose cone, range find 24mm tubes, scrap balsa blocks, label paper sheets, cardboard from the back of an artist pad for the centering ring, the nosecone from my Quest Tomahawk, some new parts from Hobby Lobby Estes kits and lots of LOVE. Lots of wood glue, CA, card stock and even some of the heavy 5 min epoxy glue were needed. I wanted the plane from TORA! TORA! TORA! the plane that sank the most Allied shipping, but this is not it. No, this is the A2 model with the spinner, bigger engine and cleaned up aerodynamics. This is the one that was the Turkey in The Great Marianas Turkey Shoot; this was an aircraft of the Devine Wind. Lots of nose weight, hot igniters and many prayers will be needed on this one. If she flies good then maybe some additional bombs on the wings, dive breaks arrester (engine) hook and more sculptured wheel fairings to make it look even more scale like.

P2100112.jpgP2100113.jpgP2100114.jpgP2100115.jpgP2100116.jpg

You continue to amaze! So is the Junkers Ju-87 Stuka next?

It is on the list if the VAL does well. The real issue with the JU 87 is the rear fuselage section. To get it right would require an expensive balsa nose cone and lots of whittling and shaping and sanding. The Japanese and Italians on the other hand had beautiful rocket shaped fusealages. The Dauntless would be a tad easier.

Amazing, I'm always set back on my heels with your projects--this one made me fall down--AGAIN !

Thanks guys! With everyone lovin' on my Kraut junk I thought it was time to build another one from the Empire of the Sun. With dual F power I hope to get enough canted flame fin action to negate those big wings acting like two big fins. The Zero, Val and B5N and B6N can all make great use of standard rocket parts. No too hard to build and looks good.

Amazing, I'm always set back on my heels with your projects--this one made me fall down--AGAIN !

Thanks! Always nice to have a "fall down cool" rocket to launch. I am trying to get closer to true scale and still make it fly like a rocket. Maybe on this one I will pretend like it is a RC plane and try to spin an imaginary propeller out at the pad while making gas motor sounds. Then I will complain it won't start but then realize it is a model rocket version of the VAL. Requesting frequency clearance and trying to use the clubs launch controller as a transmitter might be going too far.

The Val flew last week on 2 E28 4Ts ignited by the trusty copperheads that come in the package. Both lit, although one came up to power just a tad slow. The Val arced over at about 30-40 feet as the thrust curve was just a bit more on one side. She went horizontal and flew straight away like a bat out of Hades. Glided straight through the delay as she flew over the road and to the next hill by the range, popped the chute and the nose cone and fuselage recovered with no damage except for a tiny paint ding on the tail. Pad Fuehrer was pleased ejection occurred well above the ground. Now I know how it looked for the AA gunners on the ships at Perl Harbor as the Vals zoomed by at high speed. While walking back to the truck after recovery I passed our Level 3 member and with a real confused look and tone of voice I asked him why did this thing fly like and airplane? It is supposed to be a rocket! I just couldn't figure it out. He just laughed and said it is an airplane. Maybe some hotter igniters and it will act more like a rocket because as always, it is just and ignition issue.

Tried to fly again on two E28 4's with First fire Jr's. Disaster - only one lit! Not good, flew off the rod, went horizontal and crash landed down range. The second igniter burned but did not ignite the motor. Well, this one didn't work out but she sure looked prudy. Hopefully the three BP motor JU 87 will do better than trying to light two AP motors. Glued VAL back together for a permanent spot on the Banned Shelf next to the Spaceship One E. Thanks to Dave Hanson for the Photos!

2013-12-01 CRASH Launch 084.JPG

2013-12-01 CRASH Launch 086.JPG

2013-12-01 CRASH Launch 087.JPG

2013-12-01 CRASH Launch 091.JPG

Last edited:
Great build...as usual. Too bad only one lit. I for one would like to see your fleet of these things all in one place. You must have a bunch by now.

Thanks, I think I'll take a look. I hardly remember any of them specifically...each one seems better than the last one. Even if they resurface here ;)

Thanks, I think I'll take a look. I hardly remember any of them specifically...each one seems better than the last one. Even if they resurface here ;)

I guess they are all still here as well under my username. I try to do something different each time to keep it interesting, picking up new technique on the way. What worked good on the P 61 didn't work so good on the VAL. Such are the slings and arrows of silly airplane rocketry.

Daddy,
that is terrible....are you sure it was only one motor lighting or did a Hellcat swoop down on her and shoot it down? I was worried when you first posted the pictures that a Hellcat might me looking for it....

seriously...sorry to see the damage. you did an awesome job with her! your builds are just a work of art and are so much fun to follow!

Rick

Tried to fly again on two E28 4's with First fire Jr's. Disaster - only one lit! Not good, flew off the rod, went horizontal and crash landed down range. The second igniter burned but did not ignite the motor. Well, this one didn't work out but she sure looked prudy. Hopefully the three BP motor JU 87 will do better than trying to light two AP motors. Glued VAL back together for a permanent spot on the Banned Shelf next to the Spaceship One E. Thanks to Dave Hanson for the Photos!

Daddy,
that is terrible....are you sure it was only one motor lighting or did a Hellcat swoop down on her and shoot it down? I was worried when you first posted the pictures that a Hellcat might me looking for it....

seriously...sorry to see the damage. you did an awesome job with her! your builds are just a work of art and are so much fun to follow!

Rick

Yep, with only two motors the VAL turned out to be a real Turkey. It really looked like a real plane crash after being shot up by a Willdcat, just that it was in real time and not slow motion.

Here is what it looks like when things go bad and only one motor lights. Thanks to the fire crew. You can barely see the dust as it bellies in, ripping off the fixed landing gear fins. Then the delay and ejection charge give it a real scale crash look. Thanks to Dan for the video.

[video=youtube_share;lhLyr8RAfzI]https://youtu.be/lhLyr8RAfzI[/video]

Latest posts

Back