Aerotech RMS reload - Grease requirements

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even though this is not about grease, at this point in the thread this needs to be stated. 2 years ago I had a J800T go off in my face, launch controller failed. I was under the rocket when it ignited. It was vertical on the rail and electronics were armed. As soon as I touched the second lead with the clip, it ignited. I was able to get out of the way, due to my cat like reflexes. No matter what any rules may or may not or allow, always have rocket vertical on rail and electronics ARMED before attaching leads. It ended up being a normal flight, with no one hurt, other than me laying on the ground.
Yes, the code does call for having the rocket vertical before attaching the leads. I don't remember off hand if it says anything about recovery electronics being armed, but yes they should be.

After you test the igniter clips for spark: when you clamp the 2nd igniter clip on the 2nd igniter lead, your brain is on high alert. You are focused on nothing but the motor. If you sense anything out of the ordinary, you drop the clip, turn away from the motor, and run. Why the emphasis on turning away? Because a charbroiled back is better than a charbroiled face.
We all know it takes about a second or two for an HPR motor to come up to pressure. That second or two can be the best friend you ever had.

Correct, but often times there are folks down range completing recoveries in the direction the rocket is pointed once a rail is laid down. Sometimes you see them, sometimes you dont. Not worth the risk in my opinion especially since if an event were to happen, the rocket is likely to bounce off the ground once it leaves the rail and then all bets are off.
Our club has a special proceedure for motors requiring assembly with the igniter inserted if they are "E" or larger AP motors. We have an area on the range where the flier may assemble the motor completely, then keeping the igniter leads shunted/twisted together they proceed from there to the pad load the rocket onto the rail, raise it vertical or near vertical insert and secure the motor under watch of a safety observer, then they connect the igniter to the launch system. The proceedure was developed in direct response to the J615ST and its Aerospike nozzle. I as the main RSO worry more about people bringing me fully armed altimeters to preflight inspection as it happens way more often than someone bringing a HPR motor with a installed igniter.
We have far digressed from the original question of greases proper for hobby rocket motor assembly. I typically like to use Superlube but that probably just because I have a large-ish tube of it and its the same product that Aerotech includes in their reloads.

Latest posts

Back