AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very exciting! I imagine it's another month or two past that for things get to to the point where they show up on a web page for sale? Are you going to do pre-orders?
Can't say exactly. We just reviewed the final label graphics and they are making the working samples for inspection and approval. Also, we're getting the apps ready to publish and link to the URL and QR code on the label.

Prepping my dual deploy Argent for NSL and decided to switch from the usual H115 DM to a G80-13 Blue thunder SU. Since my SLCF will fire at apogee, I'm not really concerned about the 13 second delay on the G80, but I noticed that there are no provisions in the instructions for drilling down the delay? I seem to remember that the older G80's had a 10 second delay, and it's perfect for a backup, and the H115 DMS can be drilled down, but there is already black powder in the new G80 under the little red cap, which I discard and replace with some dog barf and tape. The red cap gets stuck in my baffle.
Does anyone remove the BP and drill with the universal delay drilling tool?

I don't see the G75J on the list :(. I was so ready to order one right now if it was on the list. (Although I do see the H97)
Wasn't sure about that one either, unless the cores are smaller on the G75 pushing it over the weight limit. But yes that is also one of my favorite G reloads

Prepping my dual deploy Argent for NSL and decided to switch from the usual H115 DM to a G80-13 Blue thunder SU. Since my SLCF will fire at apogee, I'm not really concerned about the 13 second delay on the G80, but I noticed that there are no provisions in the instructions for drilling down the delay? I seem to remember that the older G80's had a 10 second delay, and it's perfect for a backup, and the H115 DMS can be drilled down, but there is already black powder in the new G80 under the little red cap, which I discard and replace with some dog barf and tape. The red cap gets stuck in my baffle.
Does anyone remove the BP and drill with the universal delay drilling tool?

If you want to drill the delay, the DMS kit version might be the one for you.

https://aerotech-rocketry.com/products/product_12ac810d-0472-e322-6e54-c5d35b4eb0e5

I know about the 'reputation' of the G138 at being a hot load in the 29/40-120 case, but does the same hold true for the G76 Mojave Green?

Flew my first one yesterday, and upon cleaning the case post flight (still warm), this is what I found:

IMG_2487.jpg

Liner burned completely through. No sign of damage to the case. Date code on the motor was 04142204. Flight profile seemed about what was sim'd, 1330 feet on a 770 gram (empty) 2.5" diameter rocket.

If this is expected behavior no issues, asking because I've got two more of these loads yet to burn and seeking feedback in advance.

Thanks in advance

Liner burned completely through. No sign of damage to the case. Date code on the motor was 04142204. Flight profile seemed about what was sim'd, 1330 feet on a 770 gram (empty) 2.5" diameter rocket.

If this is expected behavior no issues, asking because I've got two more of these loads yet to burn and seeking feedback in advance.

Thanks in advance
Not unusual for a C-slot motor. Unless you see discoloration on the outside of the motor, no problems.

I know about the 'reputation' of the G138 at being a hot load in the 29/40-120 case, but does the same hold true for the G76 Mojave Green?

Flew my first one yesterday, and upon cleaning the case post flight (still warm), this is what I found:

View attachment 638043

Thanks in advance
Looks totally normal to me. I've burned quite a few, and that's what mine always look like.

View attachment 638043

Thanks in advance
Looks normal to me. While I am not a fan of the MG propellant, I do like the G76. It is a hard hitting motor and is my go to for my heavier rockets using my RMS case

View attachment 638043

Thanks in advance
I don't know if the G76 is in the same category as the G138, but I recently burned one of these (edit: these = G138) and a fellow flyer questioned if I had applied the tape to the top to help reduce burn through. I gave him the confused look. Apparently it is not in the written instructions, but IS in the Aerotech video:

AeroTech G138T Instructional Video

I can't see why it would hurt to do this same procedure on the G76. I did NOT do it on my first G138 and had no issues, but my casting tube looked the same as yours. On the G138, there is no liner--only casting tube. I'm not sure if the G76 has a liner or not. So, the look may be slightly different.

Last edited:
I've flown 5 G138s with no issues. I have plenty of hardware so I haven't used many of the DMS motors except when before RMS motors were introduced (1990).

Yes, the wrap of tape is a very good practice on the G138.

I have flown many of them and have (once or twice) forgotten the tape. No issue, but would not recommend it.

Not sure it would do anything on the G76, definitely would not address the longitudinal charring caused by the C-slot grain. The G138 is unique in that it does not have a liner and as such, the added "seal" at the forward end of the motor is beneficial.

I have a question about the phenolic inserts that Aerotech is putting into certain motors to prevent nozzle erosion.

Can I assume these inserts are in the nozzle throat only?

If that's the case , then these inserts have to be pretty small in diameter.?

So the question becomes, where does one find very small diameter phenolic tubes to accomplish this?

Or do you just machine phenolic rod?

Paper,Linen or Canvas?

Tia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back