AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to be a nag, but any news on the 29/40-120 red load? :)

Well I did say we were working on it so no harm in asking for an update. All I can report is that it has been under development for the last year or so but we had to wait until the 24/60 reloads and the F67s were certified. They are now so the 29/40-120 RED will be the next RMS to come out. Not sure how far away from certification testing we are but expect it in the next few months.

We are trying to do better on the hardware and we expect to have these issues fully resolved in the upcoming months. It all comes down to resources and we are getting caught up finally.

I'm sure Aerotech wishes they had lots of extra hardware in all flavors to meet the demand for them, I think they'll do their best to avoid future shortages. Selling motors = selling reloads.

Well I didn't give up but I certainly was away for a while. I will be back tomorrow to answer more questions if you want to ask some more.

I wonder if ATGM has given up on TRF. Last post was 11/20/17 (post 2052). Lots of unanswered questions in the past 3 months.

The 24/60s are available now for purchase, they began shipping out to dealers today. We will also have a few demos for our TRF friends if they come visit us.

The new loads are listed on Aerotech website, but still not showing up on any dealer pages. There is a New Blue Thunder, a Black Max, and a Redline. I’ve been checking every few days. I had hoped to get some at NSL last May but no luck due to testing delays.

Just wanted to say thanks to Mark for doing this and many other tasks for us. He is truly an asset to our community.

In the next couple of days. I had hoped to have it done earlier this week, but work turned into a marathon this last week. Combine that with a badly pulled neck muscle ( think a feeling like whiplash) and motor files not at the top of the list.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Without elaborating too much, every single component that goes into our motors has gone up in price over the years. The surplus chemicals we could purchase back in the days are dried up so we are all paying for fresh chemicals. Cardboard tubes have gone up 3-4 times just in the time I have been here. Plus the cost of shipping and other overheads all have gone up.

Granted prices always go up but I've always considered the Econojets as entry level motors into MPR. I always loved the Econojets including the G35, they were my motors of choice when I became a bar. Flew MPR for 9 years due to BATF restrictions. Now these motors are a do not enter the hobby choice because of the cost. Our club sets up a rocketry booth at a local national RC model aircraft fly in. They attract thousands of spectators. WE have MPR & HPR rockets, motors, launchers etc. on display. We had one last year. And yes I had my pack of F20-7's, and other single use motors there along with reloadable motor cases from 18mm to 98mm.

Lots of interested people until they ask what it costs for the motors including again the F-20's. Then it's see-ya- later. We tell them that the reloadable options are much cheaper once you get by the cost of the hardware, and we would not suggest the reloadables for entering MPR anyway. So what is left? Nothing. People lose interest real quick when it costs them $20.00 a shot to put a MPR up. The G38's were even taken out of the Econojet line and now sold separately at retail for $27.99.

Here is the 2001 price sheet for the Hobbyline motors. Why a 130% increase in price on the Econojets from then till now, and nothing near that with the other motors? Some of the other single use Hobbyline are close, being a 100% increase. Should have kept them at a price that just might lure a few more people into the hobby.

View attachment 339421

The dark matter will require a new EX number which isn't the end of the road but it is an excessive fee. Super thunder is more likely to be available in that case and perhaps super white which is what we use in the economax motors.

Curious if there has been any more developments with the idea of 29mm Super Thunders or Dark Matters.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

We are just trying to keep up with demand right now. Current lead time is 6-8 weeks.

AT seems to be falling further and further behind the eight ball in their production deliveries, with hardware being noticeably (and perhaps notoriously now) more difficult to obtain. I noticed that Bill over at Balsa Machining changed his preorder statement to indicate increasing problems with delays in Aerotech delivery. DOes anyone have any insight into what's going on? Is it company problems or just demand far outpacing production capabilities? Hopefully it's just the latter and the company is doing well...

Any word on the 24/40 cases? I believe you were waiting on the aft closures last time. I've had two on order from a very large vendor since September...

Charlie,

Any further intel on when the first Q-Jets will ship? And/or when Cs and Ds might be headed in for certification?

Thanks.

Are there any numbers on the new 24-60 motors yet? (Standard stuff - total impulse, peak thrust, propellant weight, etc.)

Just wanted to say thanks to Mark for doing this and many other tasks for us. He is truly an asset to our community.

Yes he is, and has been since his days on Rocketry Planet. He provides a very valuable service to Tripoli Motor Testing as well, plus he’s a father, husband, and of course has a better than full time job. Our faithful volunteers, who perform services for our members and rocketry in general are our greatest asset.

Steve Shannon

Last edited:
Well I did say we were working on it so no harm in asking for an update. All I can report is that it has been under development for the last year or so but we had to wait until the 24/60 reloads and the F67s were certified. They are now so the 29/40-120 RED will be the next RMS to come out. Not sure how far away from certification testing we are but expect it in the next few months.

Thanks for this update! I'm looking forward to flying the F67.

75mm reload adapter system has been out of stock for months. I have one on backorder with our local vender. Any idea when they will be available again?

Any word on the 24/40 cases? I believe you were waiting on the aft closures last time. I've had two on order from a very large vendor since September...

I'm wondering this too. I ordered one last October and haven't gotten anything either. I've been emailing said vendor periodically but they keep telling me that they're waiting on Aerotech.

Back