AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Charlie,

Haven't heard from you for a while on here. I'm hoping you're still following this. Many of us agree that the direct feedback here is a very good step in customer relations.

I only fly Estes and AT motors at present and I love them. And I'm not suggesting you try to "copy" CTI. That being said, my wife would love to an AT motor in pink. Especially if it's =<G80 power. She doesn't have her L1 and doesn't care a lot about getting it.

Beyond the awesomeness of just having the motor, there's an incredible marketing opportunity. Every pink motor sold includes a donation to Breast Cancer Research. I have little doubt that the Susan G. Komen foundation would get on board with this. And just think of all the pink rockets with pink motors that would fly in October.

While we haven't explored the pink flame variety yet, we did do something along those lines with a limited edition Quest 4 The Cure kit. We have joined www.itsthejourney.org to help raise awareness for cancer as well as contributing financially to their cause. Maybe we can look into a pink flame down the road.

Sorry for the delayed response, I spoke with Karl and he said that bonding the W9 grain isn't absolutely necessary but it doesn't hurt either. I am going to see about revising the instructions so there is no confusion.

I flew it without adhesive and it was perfect.

And yes please to the 38/720 propellant x.

We have new hobby loads in development and this is one of them :)

Sir, you have my attention...

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

I mean, yea that's kind of interesting

Last edited:
I had a K1103X destroy a seal disk two weekends ago. Is that normal for that load?

Maybe this has been asked but how about just one extra long delay on RMS motors instead of having the 4 options of S, M, L & X?

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

I mean, yea that's kind of interesting

Way to keep your poker face.

I had a K1103X destroy a seal disk two weekends ago. Is that normal for that load?

The seal disc may need to be replaced over time, it can wear out differently depending on the kind of loads you fly with them. That is one of the tricks to making Prop X loads, they burn really hot.

I received my Strong Arm kit today, and lo and behold, the machined metal motor retainer is now included. A most pleasant surprise!

I received my Strong Arm kit today, and lo and behold, the machined metal motor retainer is now included. A most pleasant surprise!

They announced it on their web site.

The kick in the nuts is that most retailers ALSO jumped their price on old stock WITHOUT retainer.

Glad it worked out for you.

They announced it on their web site.
Snd some vendors tossed in retainers with the kits.
The kick in the nuts is that most retailers ALSO jumped their price on old stock WITHOUT retainer.

Glad it worked out for you.

And some vendors tossed a retainer in with it.

The president of my club and I had a serious discussion two days ago. With AT working so hard on motor development, why not spend time on motor diversity?

We get the G77 & G79 as both RMS & LMS. We get the G77, G78, G79 & G80 as SU. What is preventing the G78 & G80 as RMS & LMS loads?

Granted, I haven't cracked a case and compared the grains, but the G80, at least, looks to be a 29/120 length motor.

Another thing we have all discussed in various threads and in person is case vs. color variety. Some people only fly by performance vs. rocket design. But some people just fly for the beautiful view. Those people want color options. Even if it affects performance a little, just having the color options in each case size would appeal to a large demographic.

The president of my club and I had a serious discussion two days ago. With AT working so hard on motor development, why not spend time on motor diversity?

We get the G77 & G79 as both RMS & LMS. We get the G77, G78, G79 & G80 as SU. What is preventing the G78 & G80 as RMS & LMS loads?

Granted, I haven't cracked a case and compared the grains, but the G80, at least, looks to be a 29/120 length motor.

Another thing we have all discussed in various threads and in person is case vs. color variety. Some people only fly by performance vs. rocket design. But some people just fly for the beautiful view. Those people want color options. Even if it affects performance a little, just having the color options in each case size would appeal to a large demographic.
The hobby is small and the market is between 5,000 to 10,000 folks. We get our motors from a handful of manufacturers and several hundred hobby rocket vendors. If every motor load had 3 different SKU's: SU, LMS and RMS, would it increase sales for the manufacturers and the vendors? Probably not. But it would increase their cost as the manufacturers would have to have carry more different packaging supplies, and the vendor would have to carry a larger inventory of motors. Ultimately that would raise the cost to the end user probably by $1 or so per motor simply to allow them to recoup the extra inventory costs.

Bob

The hobby is small and the market is between 5,000 to 10,000 folks. We get our motors from a handful of manufacturers and several hundred hobby rocket vendors. If every motor load had 3 different SKU's: SU, LMS and RMS, would it increase sales for the manufacturers and the vendors? Probably not. But it would increase their cost as the manufacturers would have to have carry more different packaging supplies, and the vendor would have to carry a larger inventory of motors. Ultimately that would raise the cost to the end user probably by $1 or so per motor simply to allow them to recoup the extra inventory costs.

Bob

Those are good points Bob..... however, all I heard was "AT needs to stop making single use G80 and G78's and make reloads so Dave is happy and buys more" :)

Also, I don't buy the whole "we have too many SKU's" thing. There's a product, we wanna buy it...make it and I'll be flying more motors. Like the J510W, I know that's a really hard case....but I'm at the point I'm 'meh' with the load. Putting another one out would bring me back to it... you're not cannibalizing yourself there.

They have lets estimate, 100 reloads? You can't tell me that they can't add 5 or 6 to that because they'd have to carry 2 more bags. and dont the RMS use genetic-ish header cards?

Those are good points Bob..... however, all I heard was "AT needs to stop making single use G80 and G78's and make reloads so Dave is happy and buys more" :)

Also, I don't buy the whole "we have too many SKU's" thing. There's a product, we wanna buy it...make it and I'll be flying more motors. Like the J510W, I know that's a really hard case....but I'm at the point I'm 'meh' with the load. Putting another one out would bring me back to it... you're not cannibalizing yourself there.

They have lets estimate, 100 reloads? You can't tell me that they can't add 5 or 6 to that because they'd have to carry 2 more bags. and dont the RMS use genetic-ish header cards?

There are over 1000 motors already....

Last edited:
well yea counting delays. But the point is, I don't buy that new headers are the preventative factor in not having green and blue loads for the 120 case.

Just aerotech items on my order forms, with no repeated loads for delays, I counted 231 motors. From a vendor, reloads that are slow sellers don't get first pick for new things. I can't say I have ever sold a load for the 38/120 hardware, though other vendors probably do.

Just aerotech items on my order forms, with no repeated loads for delays, I counted 231 motors. From a vendor, reloads that are slow sellers don't get first pick for new things. I can't say I have ever sold a load for the 38/120 hardware, though other vendors probably do.

talking the 29/120 champ :) the AT 38/120 loads kind of stink. But the 29/120's are the G77 and G79. what we're saying is the single use G80T and G78G should be 29/120 reloads....

the 38 loads are weird and haz mat. the 29 are sweet and not haz mat

talking the 29/120 champ :) the AT 38/120 loads kind of stink. But the 29/120's are the G77 and G79. what we're saying is the single use G80T and G78G should be 29/120 reloads....

Oh, well that makes sense, though those loads are slow for me as well. The 180 load is what sells

Oh, well that makes sense, though those loads are slow for me as well. The 180 load is what sells

Nice loads. It's odd, the 240 is the only case that gets the 'full treatment'. 180 is a good size. Lacks a green load sadly. I think the G80 SU is a landmark load. It's visually awesome, and hits hard. it only being single use kind of sucks. The G78 not being in the 120 case kind of makes sense. the G76 in the 29/40-120 sort of covers that area. Trouble is it's slot loading...which is a bitch the clean. A core burning G78 in the 29/120 case would be easier to fly (the G78 SU is a core burn)

In reality, What I'd want is even more annoying. I'm L2 and fly under a waiver, so it really doesnt matter so much, But I think there's a gap in motors.
the G75J sort of is the only one that fills it... a nearly 160 Ns motor thats under 80N average. The "big" G motors are all 100-120 N/s. The G range tops out at 160. There should, in my opinion, be a 160 RMS case, with Red, green, blue, white, and blackjack loads. But that's just dreaming :)

Charlie,
It was nice to met you at MWP13 (and party with you at Tim's :cool: ). I hope some of our discussion about laser engraving comes back to focus sometime... :p

Adrian

Charlie,
It was nice to met you at MWP13 (and party with you at Tim's :cool: ). I hope some of our discussion about laser engraving comes back to focus sometime... :p

Adrian

I don't remember any "party" because I was on official rocketstuff business :) Surely it must have been someone else. Please PM me some ideas and we can continue the conversation. It was great to meet you out there too, was pleasantly surprised by the large turnout too.

H123 and I161 U.S. Mail Loads have been sent out for cert, will keep you all posted.

Latest posts

Back