AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the name of your hobby store?

Hobbyworks. We found out today after reaching Charlie that the reason we weren't getting a response was that someone went on vacation, but there was no message to that effect on the message box for the phone number you're supposed to call to make an order.

kj

Hi, I am trying to find an electronic forward closure kit. Are they still available?

Mike Rangitsch

Charlie
Here we go again. Someone at a launch in Potter is saying they had a replacement L1000 cato. Do you know if this was a new replacement motor? If it was the new motor what is AT going to do now? I have 2 older L1000s and 2 replacement L1000s. Maybe I should have took the L reloads instead. I have flew a good number of the K535s its a great motor. Should turn in the 4 L1000s to a dealer for refund?

Gary
Top Flight Recovery LLC

AGTM, slightly different topic: do you know when the L1090W reload will be available for the 54/2800 motor?

Balsa Maching may have a reload also..dont think it made it on their website

Kenny

Hi, I am trying to find an electronic forward closure kit. Are they still available?

Mike Rangitsch

The EFCs have been discontinued due to the large quantity of raw materials that need to be ordered. We may bring them back if the demand reaches a high enough point.

Charlie
Here we go again. Someone at a launch in Potter is saying they had a replacement L1000 cato. Do you know if this was a new replacement motor? If it was the new motor what is AT going to do now? I have 2 older L1000s and 2 replacement L1000s. Maybe I should have took the L reloads instead. I have flew a good number of the K535s its a great motor. Should turn in the 4 L1000s to a dealer for refund?

Gary
Top Flight Recovery LLC

Until we have reports from the user there isn't much we can do. We have not had a single issue with the replacements reported yet. I will have Karl investigate as he is pretty good at finding out about these things. Is this the same L1000 that was reported earlier in the thread? When was this launched?

Charlie
Looking back the L1000 was launched at Potter NY on July 27 this year. At least that is when the post was made. Karl does a great job for AT. He was very helpful for me. I like the DMS line and just hoping the L1000 problems are over.
Thanks
Gary

Charlie
Looking back the L1000 was launched at Potter NY on July 27 this year. At least that is when the post was made. Karl does a great job for AT. He was very helpful for me. I like the DMS line and just hoping the L1000 problems are over.
Thanks
Gary
Well, the flight was attempted on the 26th. I witnessed it first hand - I was standing next to Dave McCann when it happened - though I know nothing about the specs of the rocket/motor involved. However, the flier that was involved piped up recently in Dave's thread about the CATO. Perhaps AT should follow up there.

I have not heard anything about it, I'll see if Karl knows about it. We have not had any reports of failures on the new L1000 DMS motor.

As for the L1000, we have no reports as of right now.

There was a failure at Potter of an old L1000. As of yet, no one has contacted us. If you have this flyers info, please inbox me.

Just saw the post now, it was mine! Thanks for capturing that Dave and bringing back fond memories LOL!
Anyway, the motor was one of AT "new" batch and I was told the issues had been fixed. The case ruptured and send the grains etc. up and out. I used a series of adaptors B/C that rocket is a Comp. 5 with a 98mm MM. I adapted it down to 54! Therefore their was an air gap in the MM B/T the motor and MM wall. I think this allowed pressure to escape up and out rather than destroying the entire rocket.
I was in contact with AT the next day and I had a new motor in 3 weeks. Not to bad and I did did not mind much B/C the rocket was not lost.

1538414.jpg

Perhaps ATGM missed something? Charlie has been working on this thread very well. Not to mention that he DOES have a regular job at AT that requires his full attention. To be honest, I am surprised he has been able to follow the thread this well. Let's try cutting him some slack. He's doing way more than any of us expected. Anything he does here is above and beyond. Let's remember that and let at least a few of the snide comments slide.

These should be available from your dealer, we have been shipping them for a few months now.
You are right...Balsa Machining did not have them on the website, but does have a L1090W reload in stock. Time to get that 54/2800 case now.

Charlie
Thanks
Gary

I think Karl handled that case already, it wasn't a redesigned L1000 so it still had the old style casing. Karl is my go-to for things like this, is also teaching me a bunch of stuff. ;)

Perhaps ATGM missed something? Charlie has been working on this thread very well. Not to mention that he DOES have a regular job at AT that requires his full attention. To be honest, I am surprised he has been able to follow the thread this well. Let's try cutting him some slack. He's doing way more than any of us expected. Anything he does here is above and beyond. Let's remember that and let at least a few of the snide comments slide.

I won't get into a battle of the MEMES right now but let's recap:

I have not heard anything about it, I'll see if Karl knows about it. We have not had any reports of failures on the new L1000 DMS motor.
This was me responding to what was proposed to be a NEW incident at Potter. That is why I asked for the date. Still no reports of the NEW L1000s failing.

As for the L1000, we have no reports as of right now.
Should have clarified: no issues reported by anyone on the NEW L1000

There was a failure at Potter of an old L1000. As of yet, no one has contacted us. If you have this flyers info, please inbox me.
His L1000 was warrantied with a previously unaffected lot number. He didn't receive a NEW L1000 until after the Potter launch. So this is correct, no one has contacted us regarding another L1000 issue at Potter. There was the one and that was it. On August 23 another poster brought up a failure at Potter, but didn't have any other info.

So to summarize:
Post 327 July 27- the L1000 failure at Potter is first mentioned and even gets its own thread.
Post 351 July 30- I reply that "We have not had any reports of failures on the new L1000 DMS motor."
Post 361 July 30- A member posts a flickr link to the failure. Why not just post the link to the thread about the discussion? It was posted 3 days prior and may offer more insight: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?127593-L1000-CATO-Sunday-at-Potter
Post 395 Aug 11- There are still no reports of any issues with the NEW L1000s. I even asked for the flyers info (though by this time Karl was handling it)
Post 453 Aug 23- A member mentions an L1000 failure at Potter.
Post 458 Aug 24- I respond and finish the question with WHEN WAS IT LAUNCHED? I am still trying to determine if this is a different event than the one that was reported a month ago. Turns out it is the same issue, and we just ran in circles. Rinse. Repeat.

Moving forward, it is up to the flyer to contact us regarding a warranty issue. Nothing else will help us solve the problem. MESS reports don't get sent to us. I can't comb through threads trying to find issues. I check one thread regularly and it is this one. Also, THERE HAVE BEEN ZERO ISSUES WITH THE NEW L1000. I hope this clears up any confusion.

Charlie
Thanks for the info on the L-1000. Makes me feel better about flying the replacements. Plus for taking the time to respond to our questions.

Do tell! Is this part of the 54mm Reload Adapter System? I have been looking at eventually getting a 54/2560 case but a 54/2800 case with a spacer system might be a better choice.

Last edited:
MESS reports don't get sent to us

I am a little confused by this statement. I thought the whole point of the MESS reports was to collect info on failures and get the info to the manufactures in the attempt to decrease failure rates.

Charlie
Thanks for the info on the L-1000. Makes me feel better about flying the replacements. Plus for taking the time to respond to our questions.

Well I want to eliminate any confusion, and squash any fears of using the L1000. It is just an awesome motor that needed some tweaking. Tweaking is done.

I am a little confused by this statement. I thought the whole point of the MESS reports was to collect info on failures and get the info to the manufactures in the attempt to decrease failure rates.

I'm not sure of the exact purpose but from what I have gathered so far we don't get any notification unless the NAR sees a pattern or is alerted to a problem in particular. We have never been notified of an issue via a MESS report.

Also, THERE HAVE BEEN ZERO ISSUES WITH THE NEW L1000. I hope this clears up any confusion.[

Clear as mud, with the flyer reporting he called and was told this was a new motor. Perhaps he was told it was an unaffected lot, and it just happened to become an affected lot. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I'm not sure of the exact purpose but from what I have gathered so far we don't get any notification unless the NAR sees a pattern or is alerted to a problem in particular. We have never been notified of an issue via a MESS report.

What I believe to be a failure in the MESS system. Failures should be reported and openly discussed.... and I think openly tracked. But the fear of economic impact keeps failures in this dark world... which leads to distrust. As much as I wish we could all have numbers of failures and detailed reports on why, I also understand people are panicky. Which is why the whole system is broken.

Back