Aerotech Interlock Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaphod

Reaction score
Can anyone think of any reason I can't use the Interlock with an 18v drill battery? I realize I might fry the warning tone generator, but I'm willing to live without it if that means I don't need to get a dedicated battery system.

Can anyone think of any reason I can't use the Interlock with an 18v drill battery? I realize I might fry the warning tone generator, but I'm willing to live without it if that means I don't need to get a dedicated battery system.

Frying the warning tone generator is...kinda dangerous.

It does serve a purpose, It's not just there to be pleasant sounding. =p

No, there's probably nothing wrong, but don't disable the warning buzzer. Make a shunt to protect it or something.

Frying the warning tone generator is...kinda dangerous.

I don't have one on the Estes controller that I've been using until now, so it wouldn't be anything new from a launch safety standpoint. I could even remove it outright. It doesn't impact the actual ignition circuit, and the rest of the innards is all wires and mechanical switches, so the higher voltage shouldn't be a problem. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience using one with higher than 12v. There's always the possibility I haven't considered something.

It does serve a purpose, It's not just there to be pleasant sounding. =p

No, there's probably nothing wrong, but don't disable the warning buzzer. Make a shunt to protect it or something.

Fair enough. If it's there, I should use it.

I think I have a buzzer somewhere that's rated for 24v. If the existing one goes south, I can replace it with that.

Old thread, I know, but I’ve been wondering this myself today. What if I solder a resistor in-line with the warning buzzer? Would that protect it from the increased voltage? Or is using a Ryobi tool battery with an Aerotech Interlock just not a good idea?

Back