Aerobee 300 Paint question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_hamill

Reaction score
The small upper airframe for the Aerobee 300 has a black section and a white section .
At first I thought the 2 sections were of equal length, but the more I look at it the black section is
longer than the white section .

Can some one let me know how long each section is ? It does not
give a length in the Estes instructions . Also Semroc instructions does not list the lengths

Thanks !

Bobby

paint question.jpg

I expect the black portion is the Sparrow third stage motor, with the payload and nose cone shown in the first image below.

1701621775776.png

Sparrow measurements here, payload varies, so there's no upper measurement on this one:

1701622229558.png

Last edited:
that is what got me wondering if that be the case the white section would be longer than
the black section

Bobby

Yeah, it’s confusing.

Payloads constantly changed, I’ve looked and looked for the details on the IGY flight shown in that picture. That’s what I wanted to model for an L3 rocket, but I really haven’t found anything on it.

What size upper tube is the Semroc?

I didn't us the Semroc tube I used the Estes original tube of BT-5P
BT-5P
outside diameter =0.541
inside diameter = 0.515
wall = 0.013
length =5.1

I am doing an upscale so I used a Madcow g12 airframe
g12 =
outside diameter =2.23
inside diameter = 2.15
wall = 0.039
length = 21.027

The lower airframe is also g12 with a 4.024 outside diameter

I have the sim almost complete but having trouble with making a wrap for the smaller airframe

attached is my wrap for ork in progress that is stumping me... the form wont let me attach a doc file so I will half to post here

PNG image set to 100 pixels per inch

Length of airframe 21.026

Diameter of airframe 2.231

100 x 21.023 inch length = 2,103.2

Diameter of airframe times Pi

2.231 inches x Pi 3.141= 7.007571

100 pixels PNG x 21.026-inch length = 2,102.6

Diameter of airframe 2.231 x Pi 3.141 = 7.007571

Image to fit = 2,102.6 long x 7.007571 wide ???

The lower airframe is also g12 with a 4.024 outside diameter

Oh, that's a nice size! What are you doing for a nose cone?

PNG image set to 100 pixels per inch

Length of airframe 21.026

Diameter of airframe 2.231

100 x 21.023 inch length = 2,103.2

Diameter of airframe times Pi

2.231 inches x Pi 3.141= 7.007571

100 pixels PNG x 21.026-inch length = 2,102.6

Diameter of airframe 2.231 x Pi 3.141 = 7.007571

Image to fit = 2,102.6 long x 7.007571 wide ???

That sounds right. I've never bothered to make a wrap the correct size, but I need to give it a shot on a sport scale I was working on last night.

What program are you using to size the image? Often, you can change the units from pixels to inches and enter the size directly. I use IrfanView because it's lightweight and quick.

Do you have a decal in that wrap?

I will probably half to get one custom turned in Birch or Basswood
The wraps are not to bad but if you dont use the function all the time you get rusty
Plus the "senior moments" are not helping > I will be hitting the big 65 in January

The wrap I am working on now is a paint pattern acting like a wrap.

Nose cone info =
Conical
Length = 6.184
base = 2.231

Shoulder =
Outside Diameter = 2.123
length = 3.0

I have a 32bit version of solidworks 2001 that I use in windows 7 32 bit But I upgraded to windows 10 64 bit,
Soon I hope to have a dual boot system for windows 7 in 32 bit and windows 10 in 64 bit on the same hard drive
instead of playing musical hard drives

Here are the measurements for the custom nose cone and transition.
I may use the 2 parts for plugs to make a mold from and cast them with alumlight casting materials
The drawings are not to scale

BobbyN T.jpg

Got the forward tips of the 3 airframe conduits painted red.
Now if putting the white "IGY" decals on the 2 silver fins would be
so easy i would be happy.

This is gonna be a large upscale with a length of 85.002 inches or 7.08 feet.
Max diameter is 4.024 inches and all parts hopefully will be fiberglass

The decal wrap for the small airframe is 2102 long x 700 wide "pixels"

Bobby

red tip conduit.jpg

Last edited:
Totally cool project.

But be aware that the Estes Aerobee had a few scale "issues". First and foremost, the Aerobee was white not silver. The body tube on the Estes should have been 13.15" long and one of the conduits should go all the way to the base of the transition and the other two should not. The ends of the conduits were not red but there was a red stripe that runs up the length of the body.

Check out the "Aerobee 300 Details Wanted" thread on this site.

Totally cool project.

But be aware that the Estes Aerobee had a few scale "issues". First and foremost, the Aerobee was white not silver. The body tube on the Estes should have been 13.15" long and one of the conduits should go all the way to the base of the transition and the other two should not. The ends of the conduits were not red but there was a red stripe that runs up the length of the body.

Check out the "Aerobee 300 Details Wanted" thread on this site.
Mark

With that new information the bottom airframe Outside diameter = 4.024 should have
an increase in length from 52.361 inches to 54.217 inches

But be aware that the Estes Aerobee had a few scale "issues".

While I totally agree with that, and have spent a fair amount of time investigating the details, my favorite version remains the one in the ‘71 Estes catalog.

So the Estes Aerobee kit is it supposed to be an
Aerobee 300 or
Aerobee 300A
Aerobee-300 High with out the booster ?

The Estes kit is a 300 without the booster. All Aerobees had the solid booster to get them moving quickly. None flew without it.

The A designates a 4 fin version.

And all 300/300A’s are quite literally either a Hi or a 150/150A with a third stage replacing the normal payload/nosecone. Pictures of 300’s I’ve found had the 150 logo on the sustainer airframe.

Last edited:
Been pulling my hair out trying to get the fin decals correct .
I can get the black fin to accept decals on both sides but the
white fins will only accept the decal on one side

fin decal problem.jpg

@ tsmith1315
I just stumbled across 4 of my early Christmas Presents
It is a crock load of Aerobee Photos !!!!!
Did you know there was an Aerobee 75 and a Aerobee Jr ?
In one of the photos they used spent Areobee Boosters as guard rail posts for a road :cool:

Do you have a way I can send you 4 pdf files ? they are 28 meg 75 meg 54 meg and 75 megs in size

Do you have a way I can send you 4 pdf files ? they are 28 meg 75 meg 54 meg and 75 megs in size

Holy cow!!! I'll PM my email address, but I don't know how large of a file it can handle.

Thanks!!!

Oh, and the Jr, is really cool. I have most parts to build one in about 1/8th scale. Here's a thread Peter Alway started about it:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/aerobee-100-an-interesting-new-find.168938/

The 75 is only an Aerobee in name, as it's a solid motor vehicle. So it doesn't have actual lineage from the standard Aerobee.

The Aerobee 75 does have one bit of actual Aerobee in it. The fins are Aerobee-Hi fins.

I've submitted a scale data article on the Aerobee 100 to Sport Rocketry, so with any luck there will be complete data there in a few months. I'm reluctant to "spoil" the article by posting data here.

Back