• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Advertisement: FYI: saw this browsing ebay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn't:mad: :mad: I am in the market for these and don't have that much money.

I just figured incase ne1 was in the market for all of these. Cause someplaces want that much just 4 the 24/40 case. That's what i was looking for so i didn't bid. Wound up buying a 24/40 rousetech from BRShobbies.

Ebay is great for selling hardware on ecause people pay alot for it on ebay but purchasing it there is nto always a good ide because it typically sells for alot more than it does on rol or other places

Originally posted by RickVB
Yeah, but there's never any 75mm hardware... :(

Bought my Dr. Rocket 75/6400 case w/closures off ebay. Lookks brand spanking new and I got a GREAT deal on it.

The deals do come along.....patience.....patience.

Westy

Originally posted by tedman
Ebay is great for selling hardware on ecause people pay alot for it on ebay but purchasing it there is nto always a good ide because it typically sells for alot more than it does on rol or other places

I watched a recent ebay auction for a used 6 year old set of 54mm Dr. Rocket cases and closures sell for $30 more than current retail from the Dr. Rocket website...plus the buyer would have to pay shipping.

I was so confused as to why anyone would bid that high that i actually sent an email to the buyer to here his side of the story. He told me his bidding was an accident.....but I wonder how many bidders just get "swept up" in the bidding wars.

Too funny!

Westy

Even the auction mentioned in this post sold for very close to reatail on some used cases.

Originally posted by Westy
Bought my Dr. Rocket 75/6400 case w/closures off ebay. Lookks brand spanking new and I got a GREAT deal on it.

The deals do come along.....patience.....patience.

Westy

Yep. I got my 54mm 852/1706 three case set with closures, Aerotech brand, great shape, for $120 shipped. I'd say that's a deal. Just got to keep an eye on 'em and pounce when its worth it and let 'em go when they aren't. And the aren't a whole lot of the tme.

Originally posted by Fore Check
Yep. I got my 54mm 852/1706 three case set with closures, Aerotech brand, great shape, for $120 shipped. I'd say that's a deal. Just got to keep an eye on 'em and pounce when its worth it and let 'em go when they aren't. And the aren't a whole lot of the tme.

I agree with you espceially on the large cases but ebay doesn't always have the smartest bidders.

Originally posted by tedman
I agree with you espceially on the large cases but ebay doesn't always have the smartest bidders.

Well, they get caught in that 'gotta have it' mind set and bid,bid,bid...I almost caught myself doing that on a couple of occasions on a couple rockets..Started bidding and was outbid, ALMOST went to re-bid when I thought 'you know I can get that SAME rocket from so and so for less then what the current bid is..it's yours dude!'..They just don't stop and think, and end up over paying for it.

Originally posted by Fore Check

And I bought all of my 24, 29, 38, and 54mm sets second hand, some from eBay (though I believe most from ROL). I have been watching for three months, and I don't recall seeing a single 75mm set on eBay during that time. Saw several on ROL, and got taken for a ride by an individule there (see my Norman Egolf thread in the Yard Sale forum), so I'm still looking... :(

Originally posted by Pantherjon
Well, they get caught in that 'gotta have it' mind set and bid,bid,bid...I almost caught myself doing that on a couple of occasions on a couple rockets..Started bidding and was outbid, ALMOST went to re-bid when I thought 'you know I can get that SAME rocket from so and so for less then what the current bid is..it's yours dude!'..They just don't stop and think, and end up over paying for it.

It seems like every time I get involved in another forum, I have to give the eBay speech.

I've been on eBay since the beginning (as in spring of '96), and take it from me, there is only ONE intelligent way to bid - SNIPE. It's not illegal, it's not unfair, it's the way the venue works, and it not only prevents others from outbidding you, but it prevents you from getting caught up in what I call the testosterone-induced bidding fever. Bidding at any other time other than the last few seconds of any auction is just plain silly.

Note that your ONE and ONLY bid should be based on the true value of the item to you, gleaned from research into it's market value done ahead of time. If you stick to this procedure, you'll never regret a bid, and you'll win a lot more than you'll lose.

Also, note that this is made possible by the other cardinal rule of eBay, There Will Always Be Another One.

It seems like every time I get involved in another forum, I have to give the eBay speech.

I've been on eBay since the beginning (as in spring of '96), and take it from me, there is only ONE intelligent way to bid - SNIPE. It's not illegal, it's not unfair, it's the way the venue works, and it not only prevents others from outbidding you, but it prevents you from getting caught up in what I call the testosterone-induced bidding fever. Bidding at any other time other than the last few seconds of any auction is just plain silly.

Note that your ONE and ONLY bid should be based on the true value of the item to you, gleaned from research into it's market value done ahead of time. If you stick to this procedure, you'll never regret a bid, and you'll win a lot more than you'll lose.

Also, note that this is made possible by the other cardinal rule of eBay, There Will Always Be Another One.

I disagree. Ebay utilizes proxy bids...so it is not necessary to sit around watching auctions anymore and try to snipe at the last second. You can try bidding at the last second on an item that I'm the high bidder on....you won't get the item unless your final bid is higher than what I've submitted to have ebay bid on my behalf (proxy bidding).

In my opinion that's the best way to guarantee a win on a "must have" item....and it takes the least amount of effort / time on the bidders part.

Westy

I disagree. Ebay utilizes proxy bids...so it is not necessary to sit around watching auctions anymore and try to snipe at the last second. You can try bidding at the last second on an item that I'm the high bidder on....you won't get the item unless your final bid is higher than what I've submitted to have ebay bid on my behalf (proxy bidding).

In my opinion that's the best way to guarantee a win on a "must have" item....and it takes the least amount of effort / time on the bidders part.

Westy

sigh...And every time I give the speech, I get the same nonsense in return. :rolleyes:

OK, here we go. You bid $269 that you think item X is worth on day one of the seven day auction, the high bid becomes $5 and think you've made the good decision and sleep peacefully.

As you know, if you've spent any time at all on eBay, it is populated with gozillions of goofballs with more money than sense. During that long six days (or 4 or two, doesn't really matter) some of these will notice this item; a few will be interested (guaranteed).

And of course, about 95% of the time, at least one of these aforementioned goofballs will bid, get overbid by your proxy, and immediately get infected with the testosterone (remember, I warned you about that). 125 bids in small increments later, he's the high bidder at $269.03 and you're the loser.

Of course, you'll get the email and could always come back and bid $274.03 and get back on top, but then again you thought it was only worth $269, right? And besides, even if you do, he now gets the email, and he's still got the testosterone fever, right? And besides, even if he doesn't come back, there's always goofballs B, C, and D out there, and a high number of bids is just more chum in the water... and there's still days left.

[What I really find amusing is to watch two idiots bidding the minimum to up each other every two hours for a week. Then, inevitably, somebody snipes them both at the end anyway...]

Now lets try the same example my way. I too decide item X is worth $269. From the time I find the item, I do nothing but research to secure my idea of what the real value is. Meanwhile, goofball A comes along an bids $5 ('cause 99.9% of the time they're a) ignorant of the actual value and b) cheap). Possibly along the way, goofballs B, C, and D come along and bid their minimum increments.

Most of the time, come the end of the auction, the bid is still far below the market rate. If it's over, well too bad, I lose (but then again, so would you, wouldn't you?). If not, I snipe with too little time left for said testosterone-addled folks to react.

One of two things happen at this point: either I'm the only serious bidder and I get it at current plus something below (possibly way below) my max, or there are multiple serious bidders and the one who wants it worst (either through high proxy or highest snipe) wins. Either way, NO ONE has had a chance to find out what MY max will be before he bids. Your way, there are at least a couple DAYS to figure it out, and as I said, chances are real good that someone WILL.

The only way your way works is if you bid 10% or more above the market rate (sometimes a LOT more, really depends on the item), or if it's something that no one else wants (rare). What you have to ask yourself is, are you bidding to benefit the seller, or are you trying to get the item? If you're after the item, sniping is the only way to go.

or in a nutshell never bid early or proxy, it typically drives the price up before the real bidding has begun.

and you will get outbid 90% of the time.

the old rules(when there were tons of great deals) no longer apply. Welcome to Greed-bay

Snipers suck!

I have been buying and selling on eBay since 98, and sniping is NOT fair and right, although it is a reality. You are right about testosterone fever, which is why .99 start auctions do so well. But if you truly want to be fair, the right thing to do is place your high bid and let the chips fall. The only reason to snipe is your need to win, period. If snipers were not allowed, the system would be more fair.

When I find an item I am interested in, I wait for the last 24 hours, because I do not want to waste time on an auction with 100 bidders, then I proxy my max. After that I walk away. After all, it is my max, and I do not plan to go higher. If I get sniped, and I usually do, it is no biggie because it went past my max anyway. I do not want to overspend, and frankly there will be another one tomorrow.

But be clear, snipers are people that need to win at any cost, and do not care who they kick in the process. It is a sad statement on the mentality of people today.

End of lecture.

Originally posted by harsas
Snipers suck!

I have been buying and selling on eBay since 98, and sniping is NOT fair and right, although it is a reality. You are right about testosterone fever, which is why .99 start auctions do so well. But if you truly want to be fair, the right thing to do is place your high bid and let the chips fall. The only reason to snipe is your need to win, period. If snipers were not allowed, the system would be more fair.

When I find an item I am interested in, I wait for the last 24 hours, because I do not want to waste time on an auction with 100 bidders, then I proxy my max. After that I walk away. After all, it is my max, and I do not plan to go higher. If I get sniped, and I usually do, it is no biggie because it went past my max anyway. I do not want to overspend, and frankly there will be another one tomorrow.

But be clear, snipers are people that need to win at any cost, and do not care who they kick in the process. It is a sad statement on the mentality of people today.

End of lecture.

Holy cow! I hate to say it since I've dealt with you before, but you are really naive! I suppose in some utopian fairy world, where everything is sweetness and light, "fair" (which is truly a term that is in the eye of the beholder, if there's ever been one) is the ruling force in the galaxy.

Around here (that is, in the real world), where people are buying and selling, the market sets the price. IF you have made an informed bid, and included a premium to cover the circumstances, THEN YOU WILL WIN, regardless of those circumstances. If you choose difficult circumstances, YOU WILL PAY MORE.

How often have you heard that prices on eBay are inflated? I can tell you from experience that that is true in the areas of model rocketry, radio controlled aircraft, model railroading, and plastic modelling. I have been a very successfull seller there because of this. I suspect that any eBay area that has a contingent of "collector" mentality also experiences prices higher than other markets. This has been true for at least eight or nine years on eBay.

Why? Mostly because of the aforementioned goofballs; many of which regret their foolish decisions shortly afterward (thus the high rate of deadbeat bidders also). So is their foolishness "fair"? Is it "fair" that they have more money than you, who really needs this item (heh)? Is it fair that they bid more than they can afford, when you won't? I think the same line of naivete you're arguing would arrive at "no, it's not fair".

The only way to reduce the goofball effect is to snipe. The system is set up to favor the informed bidder; this includes using all the technology available to you (no, I'm not going to publicise all my techniques; you're all smart enough to figure out the details for yourselves ;) ). It's a level playing field, absolutely anyone can do it. I think that's about as "fair" as it can get.

One final thought - you think it's not "fair" because you bid $270 early for item X, and some sniper nailed you and got it for $270.03. Well, I would argue that you only bid $270, while the winner bid $270.03, and put in the effort to make that bid count it's maximum, which you weren't willing to do. Thus, you were plain outbid.

I'd also argue that the proxy system was put there to take advantage of those who are too lazy to use the system properly.

If not, I snipe with too little time left for said testosterone-addled folks to react.

That's the fatal flaw with sniping:

1) It does not leave the "sniper" enough time to increase his/her bid if the "snipe" was not high enough. (note: in my world a snipe is a bid that occrs in the final 30 secs of an auction....you may define "sniping" differently")

2) The sniper misses the shot all together...ie: they hit "submit" with approx. 5 seconds left in the auction and in actuality the auction is over. The mis-timed gamble "snipe" cost them the auction. I have been contacted by bidders in the past that missed at the end and have asked me to keep them in mind to sell the item to should I not like it.

Keep sniping if it's working for you. I have been working it my way with great success.

Just something for fellow rocketeers to consider. Try both strategies and report back which was more successful :)

Westy

Enough with tossing around insults please?

Personally, I have had the best luck with RickVB's solution. Sometimes I'll fire off a test bid (minimum increase) a couple days ahead to see if the high bid truly is a high bid or not. If I'm immediately outbid, I usually move on. If not, I watch it and pop back in and snipe with about 5 or 10 seconds yet to go. I've never once gotten nailed by being late taking that shot at 5 seconds.

You take the snipe as you would a proxy bid placed well ahead of time. You pick the highest price you want to pay for the item and bid that. The proxy bids will sort themselves out the same way with 10 seconds to go as they do if you do it 2 days ahead of time--except doing it at 10 seconds doesn't give another 8 people a chance to see it progress for days and put their own bid in.

In actuality, everyone is using the proxy system, whether it be the sniper or the person who uses it 2 days ahead of time.

That's the fatal flaw with sniping:

1) It does not leave the "sniper" enough time to increase his/her bid if the "snipe" was not high enough. (note: in my world a snipe is a bid that occrs in the final 30 secs of an auction....you may define "sniping" differently")

If you bid more than once, you're not sniping. Check any of the eBay forums. Sniping is picking your price, and bidding it at the last possible second. Bidding more than once is giving in to the testosterone. Going beyond your pre-selected maximum is defeating one of the main purposes.

2) The sniper misses the shot all together...ie: they hit "submit" with approx. 5 seconds left in the auction and in actuality the auction is over. The mis-timed gamble "snipe" cost them the auction. I have been contacted by bidders in the past that missed at the end and have asked me to keep them in mind to sell the item to should I not like it.

There are ways to absolutely (well, 99.999%) guarantee no misses. I admit I miss auction ends sometimes, but only when I have not made the 100% commitment to win. In those cases, I really didn't need the thing.

Keep sniping if it's working for you. I have been working it my way with great success.

Just something for fellow rocketeers to consider. Try both strategies and report back which was more successful :)

Westy

It always works for me, if I make the commitment and the bid doesn't go beyond my max.

Originally posted by KermieD
Personally, I have had the best luck with RickVB's solution. Sometimes I'll fire off a test bid (minimum increase) a couple days ahead to see if the high bid truly is a high bid or not. If I'm immediately outbid, I usually move on. If not, I watch it and pop back in and snipe with about 5 or 10 seconds yet to go. I've never once gotten nailed by being late taking that shot at 5 seconds.

Again, bidding more than once is not really sniping, regardless of when. Bidding earlier does nothing but increase the current ahead of the end of the auction. You don't need to know what the current is ahead of the end. You pick your price, and take your shot, win or lose. I realize it takes a lot of self control to do it that way, but in the long run you'll be happiest with your purchases.

On further reflection, I feel I need to add that I never said this was easy or cheap; it takes a fair amount of effort to use eBay this way. If you're willing to learn the proper methods and put forth that effort, you'll always have a good outcome.

I was getting a USS Enterprise rocket to fly for my Opah and got snipped to pieces. Since then I have mostly stuck to BuyItNow with an occasional oppertunity to snipe.

When I'm bidding on an item I figure out what is the best price I can buy the item new and then place a max bid for around 65 to 75 pecent of that amount. If I win great, if I lose then no big deal.

It does annoy me that I can't proxy bid on the new ROL, the snipers have really taken advantage of that. I liken it to getting stabbed in the back. Regardless if it's allowed or not snipers still suck.

Andrew Grippo

I am not naive. I am very well aware of the reality of eBay. My point ws that you are incorrect to consider it fair. It is not fair to those people who are unable to be at their computer at the minute of auction end. I, personally, do not fret over a lost auction, because as I said, I set my value on an item and stop there. If I lose, no biggie. But you are also wrong to say that snipers keep the price down because you are still dealing with all the bids before yours. Yo MUST go higher, even if its only by .50. So you are generally paying more than an items worth anyway. And I will tell you that many items sell for more than they are worth in the rocketry arena.

BTW, If we have done business, thank you. My experiences on eBay have always been positive (with one exception).

Holy cow! I hate to say it since I've dealt with you before, but you are really naive! I suppose in some utopian fairy world, where everything is sweetness and light, "fair" (which is truly a term that is in the eye of the beholder, if there's ever been one) is the ruling force in the galaxy.

Around here (that is, in the real world), where people are buying and selling, the market sets the price. IF you have made an informed bid, and included a premium to cover the circumstances, THEN YOU WILL WIN, regardless of those circumstances. If you choose difficult circumstances, YOU WILL PAY MORE.

How often have you heard that prices on eBay are inflated? I can tell you from experience that that is true in the areas of model rocketry, radio controlled aircraft, model railroading, and plastic modelling. I have been a very successfull seller there because of this. I suspect that any eBay area that has a contingent of "collector" mentality also experiences prices higher than other markets. This has been true for at least eight or nine years on eBay.

Why? Mostly because of the aforementioned goofballs; many of which regret their foolish decisions shortly afterward (thus the high rate of deadbeat bidders also). So is their foolishness "fair"? Is it "fair" that they have more money than you, who really needs this item (heh)? Is it fair that they bid more than they can afford, when you won't? I think the same line of naivete you're arguing would arrive at "no, it's not fair".

The only way to reduce the goofball effect is to snipe. The system is set up to favor the informed bidder; this includes using all the technology available to you (no, I'm not going to publicise all my techniques; you're all smart enough to figure out the details for yourselves ;) ). It's a level playing field, absolutely anyone can do it. I think that's about as "fair" as it can get.

I would echo these sentiments. It is not a matter of winning or losing the item, but rather the feeling of being stabbed in the back, that's upsetting.

Originally posted by agrippo
When I'm bidding on an item I figure out what is the best price I can buy the item new and then place a max bid for around 65 to 75 pecent of that amount. If I win great, if I lose then no big deal.

It does annoy me that I can't proxy bid on the new ROL, the snipers have really taken advantage of that. I liken it to getting stabbed in the back. Regardless if it's allowed or not snipers still suck.

Andrew Grippo

I don't like snipping, although I have done it once or twice. I'm trying to win an item at the cheapest price possible, so I bid sometimes just the minimum. If I really want it, I bid more. Sometimes I just bid the minimum 'cause it's easier to track or follow the auction. most of the time I lose, but I have a pretty good idea of what people are willing to spend, and if I see it again, I know what to bid.

Back